Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing BB without wireless?

• 28-01-2004 5:46pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lady in work is leaning towards getting bb in her shared house. Two stand alone computers, not networked. If the line was enabled for bb, is it possible to attach two modems to the lines (in different rooms), i kind of doubt it, assuming they would interere with each other. Would the best bet be a lan adsl modem and share it over a wireless network?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by MarkR
    Would the best bet be a lan adsl modem and share it over a wireless network?
    With wireless, or without wireless?

If it's not practical to run ethernet cables to the two machines, then you can get a "wireless router" for about €100. You'll also need wireless adapters for each of the PCs, which will cost as much again.

Wired is cheaper and probably more reliable, but wireless may be more convenient. You can get the job doen either way, but the "right" answer will depend on the users circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I went with the wired option myself. Hooked an Eircom DSL Modem up to a Belkin DSL Router. Then wires runnin from the Router to 2 pcs and an Xbox. Router cost 70 euro and I got 100m of cable for €55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I got 100m of cable for €55.
    You were robbed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I ran the connection into my router, and then put a 50 m wire to the other side of my house. And I have a HUB there which then has two wires going upstairs and a few going around my kitchen. Had 310M of cable, for 20 euro.

Advertisement