Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cats won't eat!

Options
  • 28-01-2004 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi folks

Just a quick one - my cats have suddenly developed very picky eating habits - I usually give them biccies and they were always fine with that - I'd sometimes give them jelly meat for a change which they will eat but will often prefer the biccies (they have those double bowls)

Very recently however they have put their noses up at everything I give them - but will go nuts everytime someone is preparing a meal for themselves... is there a obvious answer to this that I might have missed..? Could they have some disease thats making them not want to eat.. they seem fine to me otherwise...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

they'll eat if they're hungry. They try to bully or manipulate to get something sometimes - apparently. Don't offer them food for two days and then see if they'll eat what they're given. or just ignore it, for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Shanka

I'll give that a try - Thanks for that!

Shanka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Have you looked at their mouths to see if they're ok? It seems unlikely, though, that both would develop sore gums, unless they'd got poison. And if this has been going on for a while, presumably they're not poisoned.

Maybe they've just got bored with the biccies, or maybe the manufacturer has changed the recipe. Have you tried IAMS dry cat food? Good stuff. For cats, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 welly

as an owner of a cat and 2 kittens i would have to say they are cunning and intelligent creatures and i cant stop mine eating but i have expierienced the mother being extremely picky but she soon realises that they do not have a choice, they will eat when they are hungry .are yours house cats or are they out in the open for some friendly neighbour to feed them tuna in sunflower oil.

They are house cats but they have a cat flap so they come and go as they like - There is a possiblity that they are getting fed by a 'friendly' neighbour - I checked their gums and nothing is out of place there...

I think they are possibly just bored with the type of food they are getting - IAMS dry cat food? Do I have to go to a pet shop for that?

Many thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

my two are soo picky its incredible.
    Things have been tight lately so for a while i tried to get them onto a cheaper brand, they wouldnt have it.
    They sat there with an entire can of the stuff in their bowl and did their "feed us we r dying" routine lol
    they were never picky before, but since they started getting those damned whiskas pouches they wont even consider anything else, they even prefere them to chicken!!

B:confused:

Mine are the same - A friend of mine works in a pet shop - he told me that they put all sorts of chemicals into certain cat foods such as caffeine and sugar which makes the cats go nuts for it...

No different to what the likes of McDonalds do to humans so there ya go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 welly

i would say your not far off the truth there it took me a week to get my cat off the pouches tried the patches they work great:D

Advertisement