Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card - speed vs memory

• 28-01-2004 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭

Which is more important when buying a graphics card? The speed of the chip, or the onboard memory?

For example would a Radeon 9200 256MB be better/worse than a Radeon 9600 128MB? What about a Radeon 9600 256MB vs a Radeon 9600XT 128MB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Definetly go with the 128mb version.

The 256mb version is a silly marketing ploy from what i gather.
    The 9600 is a much better performer.
    I would recomend spending a little more and getting the 9600pro for €127 or the fantastic special on the 9600xt for €148 (on this weeks specials - komplett).

128mb is the most your gonna be able to use TBH.......... at the min anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Always speed, never memory. Sure a 64 MB one would be grand!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Generally the speed of the Graphics Card is more important than the RAM size. You'd be stressing a 128Meg card very very hard to make Memory limitation a problem.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the RAM Speed has a large influence on the speed of the card too. There have been a few cases where 64Meg versions of some cards have been faster than their 128Mb brethren of the same model (Ti4200 if I remember correctly). Obviously, the faster the RAM the more expensive the RAM so manufacturers have been known to use cheaper RAM to keep base models down in price. So check the clock speed of the RAM before you make a choice.

I always find the best thing to do is read a few reviews to see if a card sounds like it's worth the extra money to you. You'll find no shortage of god Graphics card reviews out there.

Advertisement