Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and XBOX Live

• 28-01-2004 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all,

basically will XBOX Live work with IBB? Trying to hook it up with no success and after thrawling through boards i get the impression my efforts are in vain. Anyone any success on this.

rgds
    Scary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I'm using IOLBB and have successfully connected to Xbox live without any issue. Can you be more specific about the problems you are having?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im not certain but if you read microsofts xbox live guides they claim its only for dsl/cable broadband, no mention of wireless. I cud be wrong but I think whatever provider you use for broadband have to be authorised by microsoft xbox live as supporters before it can be used on that service? Esat, Iol, UTV, NTL, Eircom, BT, Freeserve, Telewest BB and Blueyonder are I know for sure. If im right then thats a shame coz i think everyone shud have the chance, both isdn and wireless ppl shud be able to use it in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

IBB supplies you with a Ethernet connection yokey, via the power over ethernet box. I would assume that all you have to do is to setup your XBOX with the settings that IBBB gave you for TCP/IP and then just plug in the ethernet cable.

I don't think that ISP has to support anything extra, so give that a shot and let us know what happens, or tell us what happened when you did this.

PS: I just remembered, when you plug in the power over ethernet box, it "locks" to the serial number of the first ethernet card you plug it in to, so you can't use the POE box in another card, UNLESS you plug it out for 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.

So, all you should have to do is enter the TCP/IP settings into your Xbox, unplug the power cable fro the POE box, plug the ethernet cables into the Xbox, and then just plug the POE box back in. Then wait a min or two for the POE box to re "lock" onto the serial number, and it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Gonzo
    im not certain but if you read microsofts xbox live guides they claim its only for dsl/cable broadband, no mention of wireless.
    That's because Wireless Broadband is hardly more than a "fringe activity" in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Well i am up and running on XBOX live. My connection with IBB has been pretty poor lately so got onto tech support and things have improved dramatically, so i retried connecting without changing my setup and hey presto it worked. I can only assume when connecting it looks to see a certain speed and if its not there it won't connect. Only assuming here though.

Scary

• Advertisement
Advertisement