Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird phone call

Options
  • 29-01-2004 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

This may be something, or might be nothing but while i was at school today my mam got a weird phone call from some english one saying she was from 'ipp property' and that damp had been found in houses in my area, she then asked if my mum would like a free test and that they'd send a surveyor out free of charge. my mum said eh no thanks and she goes but you'll get a certificate. my mum said nah its grand and she kept pushing her. my mam said no again and the woman just hung up suddenly without any usual random phonecall formalities. my mam was so bothered that she rang rathfarnham garda station, which is weird cause she's not the scare easy type. Any similar experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

no, but your mam was right to say no and ring the gardai,

sounds to me like some clever criminals trying to gain permitted access to your house, i know it sounds abit wierd, but rather than breaking in, this way they could pretend to be surveying your house, wandering around etc, while searching through your stuff for cash etc.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Out in wicklow where my parents live there was a scam running like this one.
    A company would telephone people offering a similar service to the one griffdaddy mentioned. Once they found 'suitable' customers like old people or people who worked during the day (and left an empty house 9-5) they'd make a house call.
    Sometimes they'd get invited in and would make their inspection, and week or so later they'd break back into the house, and rob it after having scoped the place out for valuable on the house visit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

This is either a scam or somebody under a lot of pressure cold calling.

Either way your mother way right to ring the gardaí.

The best way to deal with callers like this is to ask them for company name, their name and return landline telephone number and ask can you ring them back. If they agree and the number works they are genuine - if not its a scam, but if you ask this much they'll hang up on you first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This also happened to me today.
    Has to be a SCAM.

ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Some of these have got a telco in the MANCHESTER AREA to give them a malfomed caller id to hide themselves. You see +44161 coming up where it should be +441611234567 . You should tell the guards what phone you got the call on and at what time so they can order Eircom or whoever to trace them back.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

It's probably not Michael Corlione trying to knock off your mother's family jewels and probably is, some chick hold up in a grotty office somewhere, who has to hit 20 sales a day, from 100 cold calls.

Who dares cold-call, wins a company car.

Advertisement