Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Woman cyclist dies in Dublin collision

Options
  • 29-01-2004 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

This is the fifth (and the second on the Malahide Road) cyclist fatality this month compared to a total of 12 last year.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/2431319?view=Eircomnet
    Woman cyclist (28) dies in Dublin collision
    Wednesday, 28th January, 2004

A 28-year-old woman cyclist died in Dublin today after she was in collision with an articulated lorry.

The collision happened at the junction of the Malahide Road and Griffith Avenue at 2 p.m. The woman, who has not been named, was dead on arrival at the Mater Hospital.

Gardai in Clontarf are asking witnesses to contact them at 01-6664800.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is getting pretty common now unfortunately. Without knowing the exact details I speculate that the HGV was turning left on to Griffith avenue and struck the cyclists in the cycle lane. Two things I would say:

HGV's over 3 tonnes are not allowed on Griffith Avenue as the signage states. The Avenue has always been a rat run for port traffic and particularly aviation fuel trucks going back and forward to the airport from the port. The driver will have some explaining to do.

Once again, what was a cyclist doing on the inside of a truck turning left?? I would speculate that the unfortunate cyclist was unattentive and incubated by the fact she was in the cycle lane. Common sense always says yield to be bigger guy...no matter who is right or wrong.

I know I am going to get alot of flak over this but the simple fact is that many of this accidents are down to lapses of concentration or errors of judgement by the cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Another terrible accident!

I remember a horrendous fatal accident at O'Connell Bridge/Aston quay with a cyclist and a lorry following which the coroners court sent a letter to DCC requesting that the Pedestrian Refuge (that was extended way too far into the road, forcing bikes, lorries etc onto one another) be removed.

There was a second fatal "accident" and many more non-fatal accidents before DCC removed the dangerous roadway extension.

I do not know the Griffith avenue junction too well.

Is that junction as badly designed as O'Connell bridge was? apart from removing the Trucks off the road, can a cyclelane (not an idiot designed cyclelane that is painted on the footpath) but a ***real**** cyclelane that is safe for pedestrians and cyclists be installed there???

The danger of useless painted cyclelanes on footpaths was brought home to me during the summer when I helped an old chap that was clattered by a speeding cyclist on the painted footpath, outside of Fairview park.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by BrianD
    Once again, what was a cyclist doing on the inside of a truck turning left?? I would speculate that the unfortunate cyclist was unattentive and incubated by the fact she was in the cycle lane. Common sense always says yield to be bigger guy...no matter who is right or wrong.

I know I am going to get alot of flak over this but the simple fact is that many of this accidents are down to lapses of concentration or errors of judgement by the cyclist.

Totally agree, the law of self-preservation should kick in you'd think - so chances are the cylist was'nt aware of what was around her. I have to say though if I lived/worked in Dublin esp the city centre I'd never cycle.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm really considering wearing a helmet now after reading this. Had this conversation earlier today. I fell off my bike this morning(Completly my fault), and that didn't persuade me to wear a helmet. Anyone know good place online to get one, or is it one of these things that just better to get in a shop?

In regard to the accident on O'Connell Bridge. Why was a HGV turning left from westmoreland St. onto the quays? Deliveries - in a 40' truck? The gardai should have looked at his manifest and aked him why is was at this particular point at that type of day. Probably some "short cut" the driver was taking to avoid paying a toll on the M50. The sooner DCC bring in a HGV policy into force the better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

In regard to the accident on O'Connell Bridge. Why was a HGV turning left from westmoreland St. onto the quays? Deliveries - in a 40' truck? The gardai should have looked at his manifest and aked him why is was at this particular point at that type of day. Probably some "short cut" the driver was taking to avoid paying a toll on the M50. The sooner DCC bring in a HGV policy into force the better for everyone.

I don't think a HGV would be taking that particular route to avoid the toll. More likely that he was doing deliveries of some sort. I often see Argos, M&S, tesco, etc. HGVs in town. To be fair to the drivers, they don't really have any alternative.

As for the Malahide Rd./ Griffith Ave. accident, the 3 tonne limit on East Wall Road has brought them on this route now. I believe it was originally put there because a truck hit the bridge, that must have been at least 3 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Explsv_Cornflk
    I'm really considering wearing a helmet now after reading this. Had this conversation earlier today. I fell off my bike this morning(Completly my fault), and that didn't persuade me to wear a helmet. Anyone know good place online to get one, or is it one of these things that just better to get in a shop?
    Better to go to a shop. You need to get a helmet that fits properly and comfortably for it to be of any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Think a moment!

The total amateur state of what is laughingly called "Traffic Engineering" in Dublin. After those "accidents" an honourable Director of Traffic would have resigned but hey! remember this is Ireland where accountability never comes into public life.

In the States it probably would have been sorted by a Class Action suit etc.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by mike65
    Totally agree, the law of self-preservation should kick in you'd think - so chances are the cylist was'nt aware of what was around her. I have to say though if I lived/worked in Dublin esp the city centre I'd never cycle.

Mike.

Agreed.
    If you cycle in dublin, you are literally putting your life in your hands.

18 months ago, i stopped cycling after 10 yrs and got my car, it was far too dangerous with too many near death experiences on roads.
    The sooner the better a dutch style cycling system is in place, i will take up cycling again. I don't mean painted lines on narrow streets for cyclists, but actual barriers to protect them from the road or have lanes on the footpath like that one at east link bridge.

My question was supposed to be ironic! There is absolutely no reason for a 40' HGV to be turning from westmoreland st. onto the quays. It is too big for deliveries and the cost of being stuck in city centre traffic must out weigh the money saved by avoiding either toll bridge.

It boils down to HGV drivers having no social or civic responsibility what so ever. Stand on O'Connell bridge any time close to ferry sailing time and see how drivers roar through the o'connell bridge junction at excessive speeds.

The arguement about the port tunnel is a red herring. Nearly all trucks will fit through it with the exception of the few high cube trucks that cross over from the UK. These vehicles can either be banned or accomodated on designated routes. In any case, 40' high cube vehicles are unsuitable for deloveries to town or city centres.

In relation to the accident referred to in the post Griffith Ave has a 3 tonne restriction but I think the EAst wall road restriction has been removed as a new bridge with higher clearance was completed last year. The building of a fuel pipeline to the airport from the port would remove a hugh number of trucks from the roads in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

It boils down to HGV drivers having no social or civic responsibility what so ever.

Yep, in places like Tallaght every sociopath is a truck driver. Tearing down the streets and neighbourhoods of this nation killing and slaughtering at will. The bloated ****wit wearing the Celtic jersey screaming into a mobile phone while turning a corner to butcher yet another innocent person(s) in the name of the most under-regualted trucking industry in Europe, probably has no proper qualifactions.

There have no regarded for the rest of Irish society and they are costing this nation billions in potholes, respitory illness/deaths and massive environmental damage. Nothing will change as long as Ireland strives to be a Southern US state like Alabama or Texas instand of pretending to be a European country.

We have the lowest proprtion of goods moved on rail of any nation in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

How do we know that the driver wasn't trying to overtake the cyclist and misjudged the distance? Perhaps the cyclist was unattentive but we don't know for sure and it's unfair to speculate like this when some poor person has lost their life.

Personally I find it very difficult cycling on the streets of Dublin city centre - you have to look out for pedestrians just walking out on the streets if they don't hear a car coming, drivers that don't indicate or indicate late, taxis/buses/motorcycles that don't mind going onto cycle lanes, cars speeding up to get through orange lights etc.

This thing of left turns going over a cycle lane really gets to me. There's a turn off like that on Lord Edward Street (I think that's it's name) and the amount of cars that will try to overtake a cyclist there just so they can get down the road quickly is ridiculous. I'd say it happens to me there 3 evenings out of every 5 I cycle home. For the record I would say that I'm a decent cyclist - I stop at lights, make sure I'm visable and will indicate.

Advertisement