Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Southampton (Scores when they happen)

• 29-01-2004 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

So what do you think the outcome of this one will be? Southampton won this earlier in the season so I think it will be Utd's day.

They've had a week off and a lot of their first teamers won't have played since the Wolves game two weeks ago so they'll be well rested. I can't see this finishing any other way than a Utd victory to be honest.

Scoring debut for Saha? Will be interesting to see how he does.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I think 2-0 to United with RVN to get one or both. I hope so 'cause I'm gonna be there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

1-0 to southampton.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

3 nil to the reds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

2 - 1 to southampton, Beattie to get a brace.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I say it will be 2-1 to united .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If Southampton play well: 0-0.

If Southampton play badly: 3-0 to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

It didn't name them but I read in The Star today that Southampton will be without ten first teamers!?

Ok it probably won't be that amount but if they are missing a lot of players then thats a bad omen already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

2 nil to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

3-1 to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So much for scores when they happen!!!!

Its 2-1 to United

Saha scored with a huge deflection from a free

Scholes got a rebound of a Saha shot that the keeper spilled

Philips scored straight after with another deflected shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like those jammy dodgers are going to get all 3 points, pity.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by mike65
    Looks like those jammy dodgers are going to get all 3 points, pity.

Mike.

United 3 southampton 2 Final score. Real edge of the seat stuff, southampton unlucky not to get something out of the game, Saha had a n excellent first half with 1 goal and 1 assist, faded out in the second half and was substituted. Overall a good debut for him. Some Dubious decisions for both sides. Utds defence is worrying but have to nbe happy with the result . Utd Top until tommorrow and lokks like wea re in for the closest title run in for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Great game, Soton deserved at least a draw but you have to take your chances against Utd. All Phillips had to do was roll it into the back of the net but somehow he was the one who ended up in the net.
    What a save by Howard from Beattie in the second half: the one where he tipped onto the bar where it looked like it was in, he was quite sloppy at times today so was Silvestre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well that handball was a deffo penalty, just happy we scored from the free kick after it.
    I dunno how Philips and brown missed tbh. Both of em were easier to score than miss ;)

Great game to watch!

Phillips' chance was touched by Howard before it came to him and that put the ball behind him kinda so I think credit must go to the 'keeper there rather than people saying how did the striker miss.

Brown was abysmal today I thought. Looks clear that unless he bucks himself up that Utd will really miss Ferdinand. Silvestre didn't have his best day either I suppose but he wasn't helped playing alongside that useless piece of crap.

Fair result in the end I thought. Sure Southampton played very well and probably should have scored at least one more but Utd were denied two clear cut penalties.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Well that handball was a deffo penalty, just happy we scored from the free kick after it.
    I dunno how Philips and brown missed tbh. Both of em were easier to score than miss ;)

Great game to watch!

To be fair now that wasn't even a free kick, but I agree Utd should have had 2 pennos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Twas a savage game and united are lucky to have got all 3 points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by smuckers

To be fair now that wasn't even a free kick, but I agree Utd should have had 2 pennos.

I thought it was a clear cut penalty. The guys hands were above his head. It could have been argued that he was only protecting his face otherwise. I thought scholes was lucky not to give away a penno also.

I agree with James R. Wesley was crap. Hopefully its just some rust otherwise we're f**ked without Ferdinand.

I got The Ronaldo supposed foul from second half mixed up there. Sorry bout that.

Fernandes was stupid - jumping up like he was playing in Croke Park to catch a ball! He deserved a penalty against him for the sheer stupidity of doing it.

The Scholes incident was different though it was more ball to hand than hand to ball.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AthAnRi

I agree with James R. Wesley was crap. Hopefully its just some rust otherwise we're f**ked without Ferdinand.

I Hope so too but we do have gary nevill to come back too and that would leave him or john o shea to play centre back if necessary. Hopefully it's as you say just a matter of getting match fit for Wes as he is a better player than that.

[Off topic.]

Talking about comebacks Ole will play in the reserves a gainst Villa next thursday night, The match will be live on MUTV from 7.

[/Off topic]

Originally posted by James R
    Fernandes was stupid - jumping up like he was playing in Croke Park to catch a ball! He deserved a penalty against him for the sheer stupidity of doing it.

I only saw what really happened when I got back last night and watched the match on TV. The funny thing is Fernandes just argued with the ref for ages after the free kick was given - he should have been happy that he'd gotten away with blatant hand ball in the box!

Thought Saha was great for the first half, didn't do much in the second until he slipped a ball through to Scholes but was taken off then. I think he made a decent debut and the crowd seem to have taken to him already.

Good start for him. he is very comfortable on the ball and has good control and vision. If he can get a good partnership going with RVN the future looks promising.

Ole is back on thursday with the reserves and if we can get Giggys and Neville in particular back to add a bit of stability to the defence for the run in we will be there or there abouts come May.

Well, something needs to be done to stabilise the defense because it's looking very shaky without Rio. Maybe bringing back G Neville to right back and moving O'Shea to central defense is worth a try because Brown looked poor at the weekend.

This needs to be sorted or we'll be put out of Europe either by Porto or in the following round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I wouldn't be too confident with Neville at Center back either. He is doing well at right back but when he was moved to Center Back before he was poor.

Realistically speaking AF had a lot of time to sort this problem out and he hasn't. He could switch Roy Keane back there for a little more stability. He has loads of options in Midfield.

I'd like to see this team against Everton

Howard

O'Shea Keane Silvestre Fortune

Kleberson Butt Scholes Ronaldo

Saha RVN

Does anyone know how long Giggs is out for?

Do you not think United miss something when Keane isn't in midfield? I think we're better served when he's there. This would be my preferred team when Neville and Giggs are back:

Howard
    Neville---Silvestre----O'Shea---Fortune
    Ronaldo----Keane----Scholes----Giggs
    RVN
    Saha

Ole (when he's back) swapping with Ronaldo would be okay too.

Advertisement