Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M$ dealing in irony (surprise surprise!)

• 29-01-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

just went to a page that requires the JavaVM, and i get a nice friendly little box telling me 'To display this page correctly, you need to download and install the following components - Java Virtual Machine'. great, you click on the download button, and it takes you here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/getosver/javaxp.asp to a very friendly M$ page that politerly tells you: 'We're sorry, you cannot view this page because it requires the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). Your machine does not have the MSJVM installed. For more information please visit www.microsoft.com/java.' which takes you to another page telling you that M$ don't actually have the JavaVM any more. nice one.

just happened to notice it cos i'm at a fresh pc which didn't have java on it. it's normally part of my standard install, so never noticed it before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Yeah - Microsoft were forced to remove Java from it's applications and websites as a result of legal action involving by Sun Microsystems.

I think there is a link on www.sun.com for their VM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

To be clear: Microsoft said it was forced to remove Java from it's operating systems because of the antitrust suit, and history has taught us not to believe everything Microsoft says, because they've been known to lie occasionally.

It wasn't directed to do so by anyone, it was simply stated by the court that Microsoft's agreements with vendors to use only the Microsoft-compatible JVM was illegal. Microsoft decided that it favoured Windows lock-in over compatibility and removed the JVM. That's a decision, not compliance.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, i just thought it was ironic that clicking on a download box in windows takes you to a page that needs the thing you are trying to download to wrok properly. catch 22. if you already had the download the page would work but you wouldn't be there, because you wouldn't need to download it. if you do need it then the page to get it from doesn't work because you haven't got it. and if you already had it but wanted it again anyway it's not even there.

you can't win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Funny how many dead links to interesting downloads there on the M$ site..

Anyway it wouldn't be the first download they have pulled. Nor are they the only company removing stuff from the public domain.

If you download it off a third party site then check it for viruses (at the very least check the size - if paranoid download from a few sites and use FC to make sure they are indentical - though they could be copies of the same borked file)

search for msjavx86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jesus no get the real deal from Sun dont use M$ pile of poo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thought this thread title said "M$ dealing in ivory (surprise surprise)" :p

I still like to have a copy of the MS Java VM around because I find it's more responsive and there are a lot of sites around still requiring it to function properly without stalling any time you move off the page while it's loading etc.

Advertisement