Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop will not go into standby mode in windows 2000

Options
  • 29-01-2004 11:24am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Someone might be able to help me here as this is doing my head in..

A mate has bought a Sony Vaio laptop and he didnt want Windows XP on it, instead
    preferring to go with Windows 2K SP3.. (good choice or so I though)

The only problem is that there are absolutely no drivers for anything on the sony
    site and there is this one issue that keeps popping up.. when he goes to put it into
    standby a messege comes up on screen that says

"PS2 keyboard has prevented the system from going into standby"

Ive checked around for drivers, patches etc and nothing seems to work.
    Removed and reinstalled the keyboard, no difference, reinstalled the service pack
    and again, no change..

Anyone any ideas?

Tox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Windows Server 2003 should automatically detect that it's a laptop, and install the correct driver for the laptop keyboard.

Does he have an external kayboard plugged into the laptop?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Its actually Windows 2000 Sp3 and it is detected automatically.. but for some reason
    when he tries to put it into standby a problem with the driver or what prevents it
    from doing so..

no external keyboard connected by the way..

Tox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I found out what the problem was?

The drivers that I used were for the keyboard and Touchpad were both for Windows
    2000 and XP.

When I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.0, there are files in this application that
    are also in another application called Adobe Type Manager. These files attach
    themselves to .sys files used by PS/2 compatible hardware such as a mouse,
    keyboard or touchpad and as a result, the unit isnt able to go into standby with the
    OS thinkin its the PS/2 device causing it. Hence the error.

A fix is available here:

Adobe Site

Tox

Ok,

I thought i had solved the problem, but its back again..

After about 2 weeks of research and testing.. Ive found exactly whats causing the
    problem... PGP Disk 6.0.2i.

When install this on your PC, it attaches itself to some .dll's that the PS/2 devices
    use and as a result when the OS tried to send the system into standby it cant and
    thinks its the PS/2 devices that are causing this hence the error..

So anyone know of any fixes to this????

Ive searched the PGP sites, googled it.. everything... but im stumped :dunno:

Tox

Advertisement