Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem(s) not dialling

Options
  • 29-01-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

Installed fresh copy of windows XP on a system. Two different PCI modems refuse to dial out - both claim not to hear a dialtone though the PC speaker nearly blows my ears off with the noise of it.

Set the PC to dial without waiting for dialtone and it just does nothing until the phone line starts beeping because it has been lifted and no action has been taken.

One is V90, one is V92 - tried tweaking some AT commands and it didn't make any difference. Both Conexant based pieces of trash.

Hyperterminal does pretty much the same thing. Can't find phone dialler in winXP.

Both modems work fine in another PC using the same cable on the same line. I'm inclined not to believe it could be the PCI slot. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried a differnet PCI slot?

if you don't have any spare, you might want to think about removing something just as a test.

other than that if the same modem is working on the same line in a different PC then it has to be something with that PC. maybe the PCI slot, but more likely something in software. have you tried re-installing the drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by vibe666
    have you tried a differnet PCI slot?

other than that if the same modem is working on the same line in a different PC then it has to be something with that PC. maybe the PCI slot, but more likely something in software. have you tried re-installing the drivers?

XP format/reinstall & multiple drivers tried for both. Other slots are free but haven't swapped PCI slots yet cos the case is an awkward piece of trash and was hoping not to have to.

One thing I've thought of since is the relative crapiness of the PSU. 300W on a barebones system - XP2200, 256 MB DDR (333 Mhz), 40 gig drive, CDROM, Video/Sound on board. VIA KT200 chipset if I remember correctly. Tis an EPoX board - says 250W is enough to run the board but a bit more needed for kit. Would've thought 300W was enough power for a simple system.

Was hoping someone might've seen this in XP before - needless to say support.microsoft.com was as much help as a kick in nads.

Thanks. Will swap slots this evening if I'm sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by henbane
    Hyperterminal does pretty much the same thing. Can't find phone dialler in winXP.
    Start --> Run.... --> Type "dialer"
    (Damn americans and their spellings)

Sounds weird.

I've had similar problems on XP after patching and installing. Had to restore to before the patches, then do everything one by one, rebooting when it told me to, instead of refusing the reboot, and installing more.... (Yes I probably should have rebooted, but tis a pain in the arse when it asks you to reboot 3 times for one app :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Open hypertrm...

Enter a name... OK
    Choose direct to COM2 (or whatever comport your modem is on)... OK then OK
    Blank screen...
    Type ATZ... return... it will say OK
    Type ATE1... return... it will say OK
    Type ATDT <your mobile number>... return... if it says no dial tone the problem is defo a physical issue.

BTW, if your modem is responding to the commands in hypertrm, then we know windows is able to communicate fine with your comport and modem. The issue is when the modem is trying to communicate with the phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Open hypertrm...

Enter a name... OK
    Choose direct to COM2 (or whatever comport your modem is on)... OK then OK
    Blank screen...
    Type ATZ... return... it will say OK
    Type ATE1... return... it will say OK
    Type ATDT <your mobile number>... return... if it says no dial tone the problem is defo a physical issue.

BTW, if your modem is responding to the commands in hypertrm, then we know windows is able to communicate fine with your comport and modem. The issue is when the modem is trying to communicate with the phoneline.

Thanks but I already tried out hypertrm. Responds to all at commands and says there is no dial tone even though I can hear one through the pc speaker on ATDT, doesn't try to dial on ATX3DT (don't wait for dialtone) - just sits there with the phone line open until the phone line times out of dialtone and goes to beeping.

I know windows can open the com port it just seems to be unable to instruct the modem to actually dial.

Nothing physically wrong with the modems as they work with another PC on the same line and cable.

If it was that easy I would've sorted it out myself - spent far too long working tech support and troubleshooting modems not to know the obvious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement