Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN V's High Speed?

Options
  • 30-05-2000 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Just a question lads.

Is there any difference between ISDN and High speed. Its just that Eircom have said that the estate i'm in, in maynooth is not equiped for ISDN but it is possible to upgrade the existing line to a high speed.

Now to my knowledge there is no difference but dont want to make the mistake of getting it if its not.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tom (Jedi)

[This message has been edited by Jedi (edited 30-05-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jedi Lad,

1. Do not believe a word that those Eircum muppets say.

2. Afaik the only difference is the way that they set up the line. High Speed is apparently cheaper for them to set up. After that I don't have a clue.

Maybe our resident Eircum pinup Bubbles can answer this question smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Tom,

I got the same and have found this as one of the reasons mine has taken ages..

ISDN - is a whole new line..

High Speed is a upgrade of a line to ISDN

-=High Speed is 4 odd week wait anywhere, they wont do ISDN anywhere....

That is what I was told by 2 ppl anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Eircom are a flaming bag of poo. *****s. See some french company has bought Orange maybe they can sort the Irish telecom system out.

Seriously ****ed off:

Jedi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

After talking to them it seems that High Speed is simply a duel PDSN line...two normal phone lines that can be shared.

Oh the tecnology.

"I know, Lets join 2 phone lines together and call it High speed" said chief design expert for eircom.

"Fantastic Idea that will fool all those non educated people into thinking that high speed is super dooper and we can then charge then loads of money for it, hahahaha", says the smart little eircom p.r.i.c.k down the back.

"so do we all agree this is the way to go"
    "ok lets screw some customers, hehe"

P.R.I.C.K.S

Jedi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

WANN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

After askin' to be signed up to the expanding betas of ADSL in Dublin.
    Got a mail from Eircom this mornin' sayin that there would be open ADSL trials later this year in Dublin depending on your exchange......whether I believe it or not is another thing.

[lph]

[This message has been edited by lphchild (edited 31-05-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Lads, hush. smile.gif A "High Speed" line is an ISDN line, the only difference between it and what we're used to is that when you ask for "High Speed" you're asking them to take the normal phoneline into your house and turn it into an ISDN line, so you can use one channel of the line for LPB 0wnage, and the other channel for the normal phone so your wife/parents/flatmates don't get on your case about tying up the line.

When you ask for an "ISDN Line" you're asking them to put a completely new line into your house, so you still have your phoneline as before, but now you have the two channels of the ISDN line along with that - ie you can have two computers on the net simultaneously without affecting the normal phone line.

This is all basically 'markitecture'. "High Speed" is an ISDN line, it's just installed differently - it replaces the phone-line you've always had. This means it's faster to install. It's not ADSL or anything wonderful like that, but it will make you an LPB and doesn't cost much, so be happy. wink.gif

Teeth.

OK well that sounds a bit better. Cheers for that. Eircom are still so gay though this does not change my opinion. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

yer wan from eircom says it'll "take 30 days, maybe shorter, no longer" for dem to install high speed. she right? i heard it was 2 munths.

• Advertisement

Yep called them this afternoon again and they said less than 30 days. which isn't that bad. So that will mean only 11 weeks waiting altogether. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Carnage

well it's gonna take them 6 weeks (apparently) to install a standard landline into our house, and untill then i'm stuck using a prepaid cellphone frown.gif expensive.

but i read an article in the paper that reckoned that there was some company or another, not eircom, that was going to be offering broadband services later this year. and the eircom man reckoned that they'd have 'dsl trials happening in june. (he muttered something about from the 10th)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

I got my ****TY ISDN in less than a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Processing replies. Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Ah shur Walt0r aren't you the only person in Ennis with a computer! They don't have much else to do so I'd look at it as been delayed by 3 or 4 days wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by creative:
    After talking to them it seems that High Speed is simply a duel PDSN line...two normal phone lines that can be shared.

Is there a difference between PSDN and ISDN lines physically? It's just different equipment at the end of the lines to send/recieve digital instead of analog signals right? How much is this gonna cost?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

AFAIK - ISDN = Fiber-Op lines whereas PSTN isn't. That's why they wouldn't be able to give ISDN to everyone as not everywhere has access to a fiber-op line.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

ok i've 2 phone lines at the moment, would 1 highspeed/isdn line be cheaper than having 2 normal lines? If i was to get highspeed i would still have 1 normal line do i still have to pay rental on this? u's say it's one line with 2 channels or whatever, so what is the bandwidth like when a person i using the phone while u're on the net, what does it do to ping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

it's montly rental is something like £35 every month inc vat... bit more expensive then 2 normal lines but not if u want a nice lpb ping. It is essentially ISDN so being online/using the phone is done by separate channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spartac

Isdn and Hi speed is the same thing.
    When you ring and ask about the cost of installation remember they dont tell u about your ISP charge of £200+ quid a year.
    Actually afaik Indigo is £200 a year whereas Eircom is 230 to 250.
    I dont know why i havent changed over to Indigo..too lazy i reckon.
    Also when you are getting and isdn line u are not getting a new line.
    They put a Terminal adapter at your end and sort something out at the exchange at the other end.
    And when I got it..2 years ago...You have to install software on your computer for the TA.
    I eventually got it working after a few days but havent a clue how to use the two channels to connect to the net for an even lower ping.
    Maybe with Hi-speed they sort out your computer..or have the installation of the software easy for non-tech heads.
    But be sure to ask on the phone while ordering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Umm no.

You can use ISDN with EircomFree, BuyandSell, Oceanfree (I haven't tried any others). ISP cost doesn't factor into it.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Damn you Esat! Damn You to hell! cool.gif

Just one last question. If I upgrade to ISDN is it possible to change back to an Analog phone line. This is a nessity as my landlord requires I do this if I ever decided to leave the gaff I'm in?

and if so whats the cost.?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's one sure-fire way to get it switched back to Analog Tom, just don't pay the bills... ;)

Advertisement