Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle Newbie Thread

Options
  • 29-01-2004 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm thinking of trying to get a motorcycle within the next few months if I can, and just want to start a thread in here so I can ask a few questions cause I'm a totally newb to anything mechanical basically.

First things first I wanna know what kind of bike to get. I want to get a motorcycle over a car for various reasons. They're cheaper, they look nice, insurance is cheaper, and I've been told by everyone I know who owns a bike, that riding one is a much better feeling to driving a car. Anyways, I wanna start out on something sporty looking I think, and myself and a friend ( a fellow boardser who's in the same position) have both been looking at Honda Veredaro 125's. Any opinions on these bikes? Know anything that might be better to start out on?

Also, I know i'm gonna need to be carrying a tool kit round with me 24/7 on a bike, so what should be in this, and what kinda basic repairs am I gonna need to know before I set out?

If you wanna refer me to a book, grand, but I'd prefer to hear some first hand experience tbh. Thats why I asked here after all :D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know i'm gonna need to be carrying a tool kit round with me 24/7 on a bike, so what should be in this, and what kinda basic repairs am I gonna need to know before I set out?

for your kit - get yourself a few spanners and a couple of screwdrivers (get them after your bike so you’ll know what sizes fit) always have a spark plug handy, and never go anywhere without a spare light bulb!! (yes, I did get stuck...) :rolleyes:
    Grease your chain often and never let it dry out and never let it go slack.
    I recommend a night course on basic bike maintenance, they’re dead handy and you should at the very least know how to change your oil, your plug, tighten your chain, change your own bulb etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Ber says. The Varadero looks nice, but it's way overpriced. The cheapest you'll get one second hand would probably be close to €4k mark.

Assuming you're going for a 125 because you want to stay within group 2 insurance, I'd recommend the Suzuki Intruder.
    A lot of the bikes look fairly decent, but I've only ridden a Marauder and an Intruder, so that's about the best recommendation I can give you.

Get yourself a haynes manual ( www.haynes.co.uk ) for your bike, get yourself a socket set, or even a tool set from Argos or the likes for €30. They're no use for any serious stuff, but they'll be fine so long as you're not doing any major bike work, or fixing all of your mate's bikes.

You will need some sort of sicket set though, cheap or otherwise. A good set of screwdrivers and 6 - 17 mm spanners are also a must. Solve 99% of issues you'll have 'in the wild'.
    Always have a can of degreaser, a can of spray lube (wd-40 or whatever), a can of chain wax, four of five rags, a needle or pin, a pliers, a snipe-nosed pliers, a large adjustable spanner, and one or two very tiny screwdrivers in your shed/house.
    Always carry 8, 10, 12, 14, 15 (mm) spanners, both types of screwdrivers (you can get ones that are interchangeable, very handy) , a spark plug wrench/socket, and a small torch (Maglite do a perfect one for this purpose).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Grease your chain often and never let it dry out and never let it go slack.

*wink*

soz, couldn't help myself, oh uh, uh uggh oooo yeaaa *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Have you a budget in mind? That can dictate the sort of bike you start off on.
    What bikes have you looked at and sat on? What's comfortable for you? If you go to bike shops they can be helpful and even give you an insurance quote from AON who insure with Hibernian.
    Starting off, gear / locks costs could be as little as 400 yoyos. See the FAQ for breakdown. Every shop should offer you 10-20% off any gear you buy with a bike.

Varadero looks nice but I think a 125 engine is a waste of time in that bike. And as other poster said, expensive for its size. If you do go round looking at bikes ask for the insurance group and have an idea of these prices if the shop doesn't do insurance.

Age might be a factor too in getting insurance; reading between the lines with no other transport, I guess you are 20-ish. You might be able to get insurance from Carole Nash, third party only so no big fancy new bike on the shopping list ;) Ring them for a quote on a Varadero for a laugh :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Lucutus
    *wink*

no Lucutus
    the topic is 'moterbikes' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Ah! I thought I was on the personal issues board! Anyway, I suppose I better contribute...

I drive a little Suzuki TUX (125) to and from work and around the city anytime I need to run errands etc. I like it fine, it's served me well since 2000.

I've found that I never really needed anymore than the kit under the saddle if I need to tighten something that's worked it's way loose (get in there ya durty fec...) or get my interchangeable multiuse attachment into some hot philips action (oh uh, uh uggh you love it *spank* oooo yeaaa *sigh*). Most bikes have the 'default kit' with them now, check and see does yours before you buy. Having said that, I did buy a proper little socket set for it.

As far as insurance goes, just talk to Aon/Hibernian/Norwich and Carole Nash and see what they say, we're screwed in ireland for bike insurance, so there's not a lot of choice.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom of the space beween the cars on the congested irish roads!

Luc

Advertisement