Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your most hated Star Trek Character?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

That may be true but I reckon she was a demon in the sack... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think her name is Majel Barrett, she supplies the computer voice in TNG and DS9 afaik. Also she was Pike's no.1 in the pilot!

correct, she's gene rodenberrys wife

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

That may be true but I reckon she was a demon in the sack... :)

Being half Klingon its pretty likely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wesley Crusher breaks prime directive , he should have been buried in that flower bed :mad:

almost everyone on voyager except the doctor
    and Janeway , screw the prime directive , lets help the Borg wipe out species 4711 ( +/- ) so we can get home

that guy who replaced Chekov on TOS

Bajorians so whiney

DS9 - plot arcs curtesy of Straczynski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

Lookin thru wiki for my most hated character, and ye know I just cant do it! All of the Star Trek characters are just so bloody cool. Yeah sometimes they can be annoying (Will Riker im lookin at you!) but these moments are few and far between... Live long and Prosper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The Q

Ruined every episode he was in

Archer - Mayweather and Malcolm (reminds me of my boss)

And Wesley - that 1 piece grey jumpsuit didn't do any favours - not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

This is an easy one.

Dr. Pulaski

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Janeway was annoying, as I recall she usually proposed totally extreme stupid solutions to various problems, which involved blowing up the ship for no reason or her (as the captain!) sacrificing her life when she could just send in a robot/expendable crew member to sort out the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Janeway was annoying, as I recall she usually proposed totally extreme stupid solutions to various problems, which involved blowing up the ship for no reason or her (as the captain!) sacrificing her life when she could just send in a robot/expendable crew member to sort out the situation.

Not to mention the fact that she could have asked Q to send them home at any time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

she did and he said no and he also offered to do it when she was doing the court case with Q2 or whatever his name was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

jhegarty wrote: »
    This is an easy one.

Dr. Pulaski

I actually liked her a lot. Preferred her to crusher as the ships doctor.

Easy one for me: The irritating young crusher chap. GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Most hated Characters? Well....

10. 'Enterprise' Klingons - For being a warlike race that - never really start a war
    9. The Xindi - For being a lame, confusing nemesis
    8. Dr. Phlox - For being Dr. Neelix
    7. Neelix - For being so Neelix
    6. Vic Fontain - For saying 'pally' way too often
    5. Seven of Nine - For not acting as well as her cat-suit
    4. T'Pol - See above
    3. Icheb - For being Borg-Flavor Wesley Crusher
    2. Wesley Crusher - So many reasons....like...showing us all that, although employing a child in a weird rainbow shirt to fly your starship is cheap...it's just not worth the grief.

And finally...at the top of the list is.....

1. Naomi Wildman - Always threatening to be the 'Captain's Assistant'....Always threatening to be Wesley 2.0....This cutesy little menace would always be lurking around the next scene with her wierd game of Connect 4/Blockbusters, just ready to hijack a scene for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

chief o brien:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

themonk wrote: »
    chief o brien:eek:

Fires off a quantum torpedo :D
    Rawr wrote: »

10. 'Enterprise' Klingons - For being a warlike race that - never really start a war
    9. The Xindi - For being a lame, confusing nemesis

6. Vic Fontain - For saying 'pally' way too often
    5. Seven of Nine - For not acting as well as her cat-suit
    4. T'Pol - See above
    3. Icheb - For being Borg-Flavor Wesley Crusher

1. Naomi Wildman - Always threatening to be the 'Captain's

Would agree with these, Wes was ok in some episodes.

Although not in my Hated Top 10, I think the following are also worth a mention...

The Borg (After First Contact / Seven of Nine) - For being so god-damned easy to beat.

The Hirogen (After they stop using their cool face-masks) - For turning into TNG Klingons too quickly.

'Trip' and Cpt. Archer - For proving that redneck hill-billies can operate ALL kinds of heavy machinery.

Boothby - For somehow knowing EVERY Starfleet officer personally.

Species 8472 - For being mentioned too much in lists of bad stuff.

The Bajorans - For being a lazy and cheap answer for a generic alien race. (..and for being used way too much)

Kes - For having the lifespan of a dog...and less character than one.

Ezri Dax - For being developed after about 5 minutes thought.

Lt. Barcley - For not being 'Howling Mad' Murdock in TNG. I can imagine it now, you could replace Worf with B.A. 'I ain't warping with that foo at the controls!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I always hated Data

oh and Neelix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Riker from the TNG. Lobsided and a **** actor. And attempting to play him as a sex god was just excruciating.

Neelix from Voyager. Make. the. bad. dog. stop.

Trip from Enterprise. Shut. the. ****. up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I always hated Data

oh and Neelix.

You hated Data :(

Always thought he was one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Kes - For having the lifespan of a dog...and less character than one.

lol

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You hated Data :(

Always thought he was one of the best.

Yup, he drove me mental, constantly whinging about wanting emotions and to be human ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Lwaxana Troi;
    Neelix (what good ever came from having him on board?);
    Rom;
    Grand Nagus Zek (almost all Ferengi actually);
    Many Klingons, for being sooo generically stupid;

Although not a hated charater...there is another character related thing in Star Trek that I personally hate.

It is something I call Cast Injection

Furet's mention of Ferengi reminded me of this. A long while ago I noticed something that tended to happen in practically all TNG-era Star Trek episdoes...it seemed that every member in the main cast (those mentioned in the opening credits) got at least one line of script per episode, even if their character had little or no relevance to the plot.

In TNG, this is hard to notice, since all of the main cast were serving officers (+ one annoying kid-pilot) on a single ship, so you could get away with everyone having a line.

Eventually we get to DS9, which is far more open with a diverse cast, and this is where you start to notice stuff. Mainly, it's Quark. He isn't always important to the plot or part of the crew, but the problem is, he's in the main cast and has to be used in all episodes. I've noticed that he just turned up at doorways with drink-orders, for no reason, just to splut out his one or two lines, which tend to add nothing to the story. I don't hate the Quark character, but I do hate this use of him. If he's not important to an episode, they should have just left him out of it. Same goes for any other character.

And finally, Voyager. Neelix and Kes are the injected cast here, both of which are characters I actually do hate. Although early in the run, it made sense for these characters to appear often, as the show went on, their characters became more and more pointless. However they kept getting lines anyway. They even had to make Neelix an 'ambassador' to justify the point of him still being on the ship. Even after they ditch him on that rock in the second-last episode, he gets a few lines and screentime in the finale (via viewscreen), even though it had nothing at all to do with what was going on!!

Anyway, that's another crazy rant from me. You may agree, you may think i'm a nutbar :D, or you may even start to notice this now. Either way, that's what I see :pac:

It is something I call Cast Injection

I notice this happening a lot on shows, I think it's got something to do with the actor only being paid for time on screen or number of lines they get per episode - I do recall hearing about a huge bust up on one Trek show over bringing new/more characters onto the show as the regular cast had few enough lines/little screen time as it was ...

I notice this happening a lot on shows, I think it's got something to do with the actor only being paid for time on screen or number of lines they get per episode - I do recall hearing about a huge bust up on one Trek show over bringing new/more characters onto the show as the regular cast had few enough lines/little screen time as it was ...

I had always reckoned that it was down to restrictive Contract requirements that forced the writers to write at least one line per episode for the main cast members. However, hearing that it could be down to their moaning about their share of screen time, just makes it sound even more increadible.

Do you know which Trek show involved this 'bust up'? I'm very curious.
    One guess is that it was DS9, when Micheal Dorn came on as Worf. Since he didn't actually replace a leaving main character that would have probably pissed off the already spread out cast.

However, my money is on Voyager. Me thinks b*tching from cast members had a lot to do with the problems of Voyager. That, and the constant injection of auxiliary cast through it's run. The second Seven of Nine came on, Kes was out the door (no major loss there...) meaning that the rule of contract 'law' still applied to the show. However, later on we get Borg Wesley (Icheb), the Borg Rugrats (with their own Lil and Phil, no less), and the Equinox Crew.

Me thinks it may have been the Equinox crew that sparked this bust up you mention. They were an interesting bunch of 'evil cause they had to be' characters. Their episode ended with the surviving Equinox crew on Voyager and severely demoted. This hinted that we would be seeing a lot more of these guys....but alas, no they never come back. Thus, I guess the existing cast blocked these new guys coming in.

I could be wrong there, so if anyone knows about this cast bust up, please let us know. I'm very curious!

Personally, I really don't like that way cast and actor politics has such a baring on how this or any other production is run. Screen writers shouldn't be pandering to actor's egos or ensuring that every member of main cast gets their obligatory line. Instead...their time, effort and what talent they have, should be focused on delivering a good story. And the cast...well, they should count themselves lucky that they've got work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Oh yes, Hugh the Borg. People blame the Borg Queen for wrecking the Borg as a scary concept, but the rot started with Hugh. (Or maybe even Locutus; but I'm sticking with Hugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Furet wrote: »
    Oh yes, Hugh the Borg. People blame the Borg Queen for wrecking the Borg as a scary concept, but the rot started with Hugh. (Or maybe even Locutus; but I'm sticking with Hugh.
    People dont blame the Borg Queen for wrecking the Borg, they blame Voyager.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kiith wrote: »
    as if I needed another reason to despise voyager :pac:

Kiith wrote: »

Rightly said there Kiith.

The Borg were by far my favorite Star Trek villain since I first viewed them in the early 90s. In those early days I would look forward to anything featuring them, they were just an unstoppable, evil, force of nature and could only be beaten by pure luck.

But then Voyager came and screwed it up :mad:....To illustrate, here's how my view of the Borg changed over time.

***Warning....I go on for a while....again***

-TNG - Q Who: We first see the Borg and their huge, indestructible ship. Picard only gets them out of it by being Q's bitch. Even Whoopi Goldberg is frightened of them. They're big, bad and thankfully, real far away...

-TNG - The Best of Both Worlds: ...until a year or so later, when they are actually in Good-guy Space. We get to see the wrecked remains of a Federation fleet for the first time and they come very close to wiping out Starfleet and the good guys for good. Picard actually gets turned into one of them and goes on a murder-spree. They go from being bad-ass to being just pure evil....

-TNG - The Hugh Episodes: Ok, one of them actually manages to break out and then infect his buddies. Although it's been said that this is where the Borg's decay began, I can't agree. Even here, these non-Borg kicked ass and were actually 'angry' to boot. Although they didn't assimilate people, this was nearly as good in my books. They were still a threat.

-ST: First Contact: Oh yea!:D Nothing beats seeing those Borg hunt down and pick off the crew one-by-one on the big screen. They fit a very good horror-monster role here, which is somewhat diluted by the Borg Queen. Although treating the Borg like ants is a novel idea....what did it for me was the idea that they were an unstoppable force of nature that couldn't be bargained with. The Borg Queen presents an ego...and ultimately a failing that is exploited and used to defeat her and the rest of the Borg. This weakens the Borg as a threat in my mind....however the film makes up for this by showing those drones at their most terrifying.

-VOY - Scorpion: Aww man...the beginning of the end. First off...the Borg are actually willing to bargain. There goes that unstoppible force of nature you can't reason with.....and then.....the shadow of a bust-line eclipses the once nightmare inducing image that was the Borg....enter Seven of Nine.

This is where cracks started to appear for me....although still a 'drone', Jeri Ryan couldn't seem to act well as a Borg-drone either. Putting her aside, the Borg were still kind of a threat...even though it was a bit damaged now.

-VOY - Most of the Series Run: Seven of Nine is renamed 'Seven' in an ill-conceived attempt to cast her as a cutesy anime robot-girl...it seemed. Her 'humanity' is explored often and repeatedly...the Borg become boring without them even being there....

-VOY - Dark Frontier: They actually rescue Seven of Nine from the Borg Queen, in the dead center of Borg Space....from the Borg Capital....surrounded by thousands of Borg cubes (you know...the one's that no-one is usually able to beat)....and manage to get away.
    The Borg now start to feel like a cartoon villain. 'Curses!! I'll get you next time Janeway!! Mark my words!!'

-VOY - Collective: Hurra! Borg Kids! The Borg are now a Disney-cartoon villain!

-VOY - Child's Play: ....which is now how Voyager's crew regard dealing with the Borg...so much so, that they now list it as one of the things they kick ass at....regularly. When they rescue Icheb from the Borg Sphere and escape without the damned thing even chasing them....my regard for Borg went off with them. The Borg are now a sorry joke.

-VOY - Unimatrix-Zero: (Part 1)...Sweet Jebus!! A super armored Borg-Cube that destroys that god-damned Delta Flyer!! And then....no way!....Janeway, Tuvok and Girl-Worf get assimilated! Outstanding!! The Borg kick ass again!!

-VOY - Unimatrix-Zero: (Part 2)...no...wait...false alarm. The Borg still suck. Janeway and Co. took their Borg Pills this morning and are immune to the whole 'losing yourself' thing. With the help of the Borg Rebel Alliance, they defeat the Evil Emperor once more. 'Curses!! Not again!!'
    The Borg now p*ss me off.

-VOY - Endgame: The Borg are beaten by Future-Janeway...who knows everything...literally. The Borg can do what it wants...I no longer care....

/Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I agree, the borg queen really diluted it for me when the film came out, I was 11 so not too cynical or nitpicky at that stage but even then I was thinking, hmmm you've ruined the one thing that makes the borg so utterly alien, the fact that their civilization is completely different to anything we have on earth. Its just a collective, no individual at the top and now you've gone and ruined it by introducing the borg queen. Such is the problem with market demographics, they introduced the queen as they were afraid audiences wouldn't identify with the borg as a villain if they didn't have a character to draw them in. As someone though pointed out here, the borg queen isn't necessarily an individual but a principle that emerges from the collective to organize it. This is why all the queens look the same and have the same personality.

Now Best of Both Worlds was freakin awesome. When Picard says we would rather die the reply he gets is "death is irrelevant." That is uber hardcore, like thats taking the one thing we fear most and totally trivializing it into oblivion, the borg are scarier than death and cannot be rationalized. Its a stretch to say this but they are the personification of everything which confuses us and which cannot be reckoned with ie existence itself.

The Hugh episodes were cool I thought, novel ideas. Oh and Obama is a fan of star trek.

2545908380104699866aQNhBQ_th.jpg

• Advertisement

I could be wrong there, so if anyone knows about this cast bust up, please let us know. I'm very curious!

I really can't remember the details, just something I read where one of the actors was saying something about -oh no, not more new people the main cast are already breaking the producers door down looking for more lines- I can't remember anything more than that, and I can only remember it cos I thought it was strange that they were apparently paid per line/minute on screen - I'd have thought they were paid a straight salary per episode they appeared in...?
    Personally, I really don't like that way cast and actor politics has such a baring on how this or any other production is run. Screen writers shouldn't be pandering to actor's egos or ensuring that every member of main cast gets their obligatory line. Instead...their time, effort and what talent they have, should be focused on delivering a good story. And the cast...well, they should count themselves lucky that they've got work at all.

Agreed, I don't like this idea that Stargate is getting a new third series cos it would cost too much to pay the cast of the other two ... why? Are these people - who have said how lucky they were to be on the shows - suddenly turning around and demanding their pay be doubled?

Advertisement