Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corn starch Vs Corn Flour

• 29-01-2004 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

jkust owndering what the differance between corn starch and corn flour is. and is there anywhere in dublin i can get corn starch? tried my local health food shop in swan center/...not there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Try your local oriental emporium. Why do you need corn starch? Generally only used by industrial type places to prevent sol retrogradation after freezing due to unique amylase/amylopectin levels. (Can you tell I'm a Chef?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

came up in an ice cream recipie....im trying to make butter scotch flavored ice cream and it came out tasting like vanilla ice cream and i used corn flour whwen recipie said use corn starch.

ice cream was still tasty though but not the taste i was after...it was more a vanilla taste i added vanilla escence as the recipie stated bu nooo butter scotch taste :(

then again id dint use a double boiler either to make butter scotch

Wouldn't worry too much, probably just used as a thickening agent? Never heard of a recipe for ice-cream using corn-starch before.

Here's a caramel ice-cream recipe:

Whisk 9 yolks & 300g caster sugar till white& foamy.
    Warm 100g sugar in heavy based saucepan over gentle heat stirring with wooden spoon till melted, then add another 100g, melt, than another 100g, melt. Be brave, you don't need water.
    Continue to stir until caramel turns brown. Add 1 tsp vinegar/lemon jouice to prevent sugar from crystallising out and take off heat straight away.
    Boil 1 ltr milk, mix with hot caramel over gentle heat, stirring with wooden spoon. pour boiling mixture over sugar and egg yolk mixture, whisking vigorously,then stir back into saucepan.
    Put it over low heat again, when the mixture thickens slightly and begins to coat the spoon, remove from heat, submerge base of saucepan in cold water.
    Continue to stir mixture until it is cold, than freeze in an ice-cream maker or the other fiddly whisking every 20 mins way.

Please never use vanilla essence, only vanilla extract. I know it's way more expensive, but it's so worth it. Good Luck!

Im afraid it has to be egg free.

i am a lacto vegan which means i dont do meat fish or eggs

but do dairy as long as its rennet free

Eep! Can't help then. Obviously corn-starch replacing eggs. Theres an Oriental Emorium in Rathmines, isn't there? Should have it there.

• Advertisement

vanilla extract readily available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You should be able to get vanilla extract easily in a baking shop surely, either that or the Asian shops. There's an Asian emporium in George's st too. (and round the back)

Are you in Dublin?

aye but i find the oriental emporoums rather intemidating.

they never undersrand what im asking for and i find it hard to find what im looking for in those places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does anyone know where to get corn meal? They don't sell it in Tesco and it's required in a recipe i wan't to make.

Advertisement