Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD rentals .ie

Options
  • 29-01-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im joining DVD rentals.ie today and I see they have a referal offer. if anyone here is a member of dvd rentals.ie you will get a free ex stock DVD and I will ger a 10 euro discount

Anyone want to refer me ???

ALan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I've never heard about dvdrentals.ie, although I have heard of similar services in the states.

Looks cool, I might join too...

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has used them though ... to see how good they are (do they normally have what you want in stock, how long does it take after you send back the DVDs until you get the next batch etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

muffen they answer these questions on the site

but they reckon if your swift about it toy can get up to 8 posts a month. if your movie isnt in stock then they send your second prefance.

OK so if we can find a member who reccomends the service you and I will get a €10 rebate and he she will get 2 free DVD's

they answer these questions on the site

Yes, but I rather hear it from someone that has used them.
    I would never buy anything from a shop based on their opinion, as they want to sell it to me and may therefore not provide me with all information, or the stats can be made to look better than they are.

This is especially true when you're looking to subscribe to something.

As we all know, there are three types of lies... lies, damn lies and stats.

---

I just want to make sure that they will have the semi-new / new movies in stock, so I don't always end up getting the movie that is 10th on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

tru dat, tru dat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have used the service.
    I signed up to the Gold package at the middle of November .
    It was half price around 17.50 I think.
    In the 30 days I received 14 films .
    They come in a small envelope with a return stamped envelope enclosed.
    The service was slow enough at first but I put this down to An Post whose service is a disgrace.
    I returned 3 dvd's at one time but one of them took 1 day to get to Dublin,one took 3 days and the other 8 days !
    I thought the service was good .
    I thought the selection could have been a bit better as it was hard to get the new releases.
    Saying that I did get The Hulk which was just out.
    I often got number 2 or 3 on my list.
    I'd recommend it to anyone to try for one month.
    I'm not a member anymore though.
    I stopped for Christmas as the post would have been crazy.

• Advertisement

hmm... 17.50 for the gold package seems pretty good, it's almost twice the price now.

If you managed to see 14 movies in a month with the gold package, then its probably going to be about 5 movies with the bronze package. At 20euros, thats like 4 a movie, which is the same as xtravision :-/

I guess it's not really worth taking the bronze package, silver or gold makes more sense.

I'll have to think about it .... as the return is to Dublin, and I live in Dublin, it might be quicker for me... I think I'll sign up for the silver package just for a month, just to try it out. I'll decide tomorrow (1.30 AM is no good time to make financial decisions :)).

Thanks for the info MisterAnarchy, it was really helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

im curently a member and would be happy to refer you
    pm me to let me know what i have to do
    i find the service good not realy any better value than xtra vision but the xtra vision in my area is tiny so the selection is better on dvd rentals

i find the service good not realy any better value than xtra vision but the xtra vision in my area is tiny so the selection is better on dvd rentals

The xtravision where I live is pretty alright... I was thinking about this service because I thought that it would be cheaper... but now I don't think it will be...

If I go to xtravision, atleast I know which movie I will end up with... whereas this may not always be the case with dvdrentals.ie ... (I know I will get one from a list of 15, not really the same thing).

If they dropped the price of the gold package to below 25 I'd probably go for it... but it seems a little expensive as it is right now... if you don't send the movie back a day or so after you get it, it ends up being more expensive than xtravision.

Thanks for the info though; tuxx & MisterAnarchy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just a thought for people using Xtra-Vision

Pigsback.com have vouchers for either Dvd rental for 2.50
    or rent one get another free

(these say Monday-Thurs only but my local lets me use it on a saturday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

also it seems that XtraVision have raised new rental prices to €5 a night. Rediculously expensive. You're basically paying a quarter of the retail price to rent it for a night. If the same was with car rental you'd be paying €5,000 a day to rent some cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The XtraVision i go to has the 2 movies for 2 nights for €6. That includes new releases and I think that is pretty good value.

MrP

Originally posted by MrPudding
    The XtraVision i go to has the 2 movies for 2 nights for €6. That includes new releases and I think that is pretty good value.

MrP

Is that all the time though? All XtraVisions have specials now and again but they're not enough to offset the rediculous rental prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

This service will suit some people, but it's not a bargain by any means.

I tried it for a few months and found the postal turn around was a problem.

The thing is, if you are going to get value out of it, you are going to have to watch the movie straight away and post it back next morning.

Unless you are a couch potato, this will not happen and you will end up watching half and then doing something else and watching the rest in a day or two.
    Because theres no fine as such or time limit, thats what I found happened with me sometimes.

In that scenario it can work out much dearer than getting one at your local xtravision when you want it.

My first choice was hardly ever available either and the selection of new or latest releases was poorish enough compared to the local video store.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Is that all the time though? All XtraVisions have specials now and again but they're not enough to offset the rediculous rental prices!

I joined last February when I moved into the area. The offer started soon after and has been going ever since. The offer has recently changed but the price is the same.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've been with them for 2 years.
    I live in dublin, usually get 24 a month bar xmas(dec) where i got 16. Less than €2 a dvd is good value.

I usually send the dvd's back the next morn after receiving them. I find its better value than xtravision rip-off charges.
    If I go to xtravision, atleast I know which movie I will end up with... whereas this may not always be the case with dvdrentals.ie ... (I know I will get one from a list of 15, not really the same thing).

Thats if xtra-vision have it :)
    The same for dvdrentals, usually i found is that 3 dvd's sent out are within the first half of the wish list anyway. I usually get dvds posted 2 days after posting them so the wait is not an issue for me.
    The XtraVision i go to has the 2 movies for 2 nights for €6. That includes new releases and I think that is pretty good value
    Its usually 2 for €8 in my local sometimes, either that or €4.50 a rent.

Guess it can boil down to posting dvds on way to work vs queuing up at xtra-vision in evenings after work to rent or return which certainly does not suit me.

Originally posted by gurramok

Its usually 2 for €8 in my local sometimes, either that or €4.50 a rent.

I have seen sign arround town where it is €8 allright. The one in Stillorgan, where I go is €6 though and has been for almost a year. They now have a new offer, running concurrently, where any game or movie is €3 per night. This includes new releases. If you get 2 it is €6 and you have them for 2 nights, same as the old offer. I think it is pretty good value. It is handy for me as I drive past it twice a day. I am starting a new job soon and it will not be handy at all. In that case dvdrentals may look quite attractive.

MrP

I have seen sign arround town where it is €8 allright. The one in Stillorgan, where I go is €6 though and has been for almost a year. They now have a new offer, running concurrently, where any game or movie is €3 per night. This includes new releases. If you get 2 it is €6 and you have them for 2 nights, same as the old offer. I think it is pretty good value. It is handy for me as I drive past it twice a day. I am starting a new job soon and it will not be handy at all. In that case dvdrentals may look quite attractive.

MrP

Do they have competition close by in Stillorgan? The one I go to is in the Blanch Centre and there's no competition nearby so they charge what they like.

There is a Blockbusters up the road abit. So that may be an issue.

MrP

There is a Blockbusters up the road abit. So that may be an issue.

MrP

Competition rocks :)

Advertisement