Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATX 1.3 Standard

• 29-01-2004 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Looking at the PSUs on hitide.ie they have PSUs for the ATX 1.3 standard.

How new is ATX 1.3 and what are the main differences between from the previous standard?

I have the Kotech black case with side-window from peats
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7052&type=6&path=14x122x539

Anyone know what standard this is? Will the 1.3 PSUs fit in this case?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

mm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by monomaniac
    Looking at the PSUs on hitide.ie they have PSUs for the ATX 1.3 standard.

How new is ATX 1.3 and what are the main differences between from the previous standard?

I have the Kotech black case with side-window from peats
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7052&type=6&path=14x122x539

Anyone know what standard this is? Will the 1.3 PSUs fit in this case?
    Hi,
    as far as I know ATX 1.3 is recommended for the new Intel CPUs, it defines more or less the power and the provided current of the PSU (simply can't find the link with the ATX 1.3 specs right know :confused: ).

The be quiets will fit in any standard computer case (not in most of the Dells!!!) and also in the above mentioned.
    But the case you are looking for, has already a power supply installed (if I get the peats description right ;))

If you have any queastions, please let me know.

Regards,
    jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Cheers for the info.

Got the case already - the PSU is like a hoover :mad:

So As I'm using Athlon XP I assume there's no point me paying extra for a 1.3 standard PSU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You will find that its going to be the same accross the board TBH - your not really paying more.

With the be-quiet PSU's (www.hitide.ie) your paying for the quality, it has excellent voltage rails (very important), the fact that it is Very quiet, and the power output.
    The P4 & AMD PSU's are the same so you dont have to worry about that. Your right to get a decent PSU so you wont run into problems if you choose to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are you sure its the PSU making noise?, cause the noise of your system could be made by many things. By the way noise is a log scale so that means you remove one noisy component your computer may end up being just as noisy EVERYTHING must be quiet in a computer for the computer to be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Definitely the PSU - turned the PC briefly on without any of the fans and they hardly make a difference to the noise level.

Also whenever the PC shuts down the PSU fans turn themselves off firstly followed very quickly by the system fans - this was discovered through extensive staring and listening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

With the be-quiet PSU's (www.hitide.ie) your paying for the quality, it has excellent voltage rails (very important), the fact that it is Very quiet, and the power output.
    ...and have a look in the new tom's hardware test (I do not know who have paid them for this test but: be quiet wins! :D
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

But I simply do not understand why they took the previous PSU version for that test?

jow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by monomaniac
    Definitely the PSU - turned the PC briefly on without any of the fans and they hardly make a difference to the noise level.

Also whenever the PC shuts down the PSU fans turn themselves off firstly followed very quickly by the system fans - this was discovered through extensive staring and listening :D

It could also be your harddrives.
    You should mount all the fans and drives using rubber grommets (like washers that fit through the holes) to minimise vibration conduction through the case which because of it's large flat sides will act like a big speaker.
    But yeah, replace the PSU with a decent modle.
    everything will be just better for a myriad amount of reasons.

Advertisement