Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature problems?

• 29-01-2004 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

My hard drive gets hot to touch sometimes when i start playing games...

And i notice for no reason at all, the whole thing will just crash to desktop. I have all the latest motherbord, graphics card drivers etc...

Same with my graphics card and actual ram.

Im wondering is it because its too cramped in my case?

Heres a pic of the inside of my pc.

How does it look? Should i have more fans etc? I only have the one on the side panel which cant be seen now as its off for the picture...

pcinside.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Your case certainly isn't cramped anyway! Looks empty compared to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

All cases should have at lest one Fan at the back (or so says Amd)

Any case temp monitors to tell you what temp the case is at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

cramped ? lol

add in about 5 y splitters, 2 case fans, another hdd, another cd rom, 2 IDE cables, coolingmaster aero 7 heatsink and you may get an idea of what mine looks like :p

as sinecure said your case looks empty compared to mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

jesus how are your cases so cramped?

Theres already two hard drives, a dvd drive, a cd-rw drive, 3/4 ide cables...

Ok heres some temperatures and fan settings...

temperatures.JPG

these arent temperature when playing games etc...just browsing boards and email etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

That seems grand. The crashing to desktop is probably more to do with bad game programming. Try getting new graphics drivers, sound drivers, motherboard drivers etc. Then see if it still crashes. Also look for game updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Get Speedfan if SMART is enabled (somewhere in the BIOS for HDD settings) in your computer then it can read the temps of your HDD. Speedfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Your pictures have been pulled by the way.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Get Speedfan if SMART is enabled (somewhere in the BIOS for HDD settings) in your computer then it can read the temps of your HDD. Speedfan

I have SMART enabled, what exactly does it do?

BTW: Cheers guys for all the info.

Ill get speedfan and give it a whirl...cheers for the link. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've got a slight worry about temperature myself.

got a nu Asus mobo...and the probe tells me that at startup and idle..my cpu temp is the lowest I saw it was 20-22 C.

installing anything and the temp rises and so far on installing Unreal2 it peaked at 37C.

played Halo solidly for a while today...quit and checked the probe...peaked at 47C.

I had the cpu fan cleaned out along with the heatsink but the side of the case [oposite the mobo] is warm to touch when playing games.

whats the peak for a P4 chip?
    I've got a 1.9 cpu with standard fan and heatsink.

I mean..are these temps alright or should i get some different fan or cpu cooler?

Those are standard temperatures. Anything up to 55 degrees celsius for cpu is fine i heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*phew*

good good.

Ta ronaldo :)

No problem man. I know the feeling...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Kaimera
    I've got a slight worry about temperature myself.

got a nu Asus mobo...and the probe tells me that at startup and idle..my cpu temp is the lowest I saw it was 20-22 C.

installing anything and the temp rises and so far on installing Unreal2 it peaked at 37C.

played Halo solidly for a while today...quit and checked the probe...peaked at 47C.

I had the cpu fan cleaned out along with the heatsink but the side of the case [oposite the mobo] is warm to touch when playing games.

whats the peak for a P4 chip?
    I've got a 1.9 cpu with standard fan and heatsink.

I mean..are these temps alright or should i get some different fan or cpu cooler?

Mine runs at 49 Degrees all the time. Must get a new fan actually.

John

ok both my hard drives are running at 40C after an hour of pro evolution soccer 3.

I dont understand why both are at 40C when only one of them is in use and the other is in a different drive bay below it...maybe i need extra fans? What ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Extra fans are always good for lowering temps, but your noise floor will increase .... even with the quietest fans on the market. Also make sure that half the ones you have are blowing in and half are blowing out (include fans on the power supply in this rule). Blowing across hot components is the best plan if it can be done

The point I am making is that you should have good airflow, no use having two 120mm fans going full belt blowing in and two 60mm running half speed blowing out.

Advertisement