Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parker to Chelsea

• 29-01-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Scott parker is on his way to Chelsea for 10m . Thats a steal IMO and will make the Chelseas Midfield a real force to be reckoned with. Duff parker and Lampard . Great Buy IMO.

Story

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And of course Makelele, who seems to go uncredited for all of trhe work he does defensively as well as his creativity going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

yeah good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    And of course Makelele, who seems to go uncredited for all of trhe work he does defensively as well as his creativity going forward.

Very True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Very True.

Did you two boys kiss and make up at last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

fact i saw on sky sports gillette soccer saturday when charlton were playing everton and parker was left behind

out of 25 odd games PArker has missed since starting to play for charlton...charlton had only won two (three after they beat us :( )

Ijust find that an amazing fact and just goes to show how influential the guy really is..

I agree Chelea have gotten a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What a midfield - Duff, Lampard, Parker, Makelele - and Veron, Cole, etc. I wonder how many games he's going to get though. I realise that it's a bigger club but will it really do his chances of getting into the England team any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

good player If he is a regular on the team what will that mean for the likes of veron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great buy for Chelsea but I don't think Ranieri will play all three central midfielders together. Lampard and Makelele need a break and Parker could play well with either of them. I'd say Parker will take a lot of time to settle as he was a very influencial at Charlton and he is now moving to a team of superstars so he won't be as much of a leader any more. Thats what happened to Lampard but look at him now. I'd say given time Parker will be a lot better than Lamps as he has nearly everything Lampard has plus higher work rate and better tackler. Chelsea may have all the money in the world but they still no how to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

now any further chelsea slip ups won't matter, as charlton won't be near their heels. (it could've happened!)
    i think it's a bollox how utd. and chelski have sown the seed of doubt in the confidence of some players forcing the sale of Saha and Parker. it's b. bullyish IMO.
    spoils the Premiership really. now there are only 2 major teams to play against for Arsenal per season: Utd, and Chelsea. the rest are peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I don't think Charlton would've caught Chelsea anyway tbh. They were about 10 points behind and are more likely to lose a handful than Chelsea.

I don't like the way clubs do this. It stops a new club coming along to be a reckoning force. I mean just say Parker had stayed and Charlton finished fourth. If they had then bought one or two big names with the Champs League money they could've been pushing for 3rd next season easy I'd say but now they could be back to where they were 2 seasons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Parker is an excellent signing will add drive to he midfield. Makka badly needs a rest thats evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Aliminator
    spoils the Premiership really. now there are only 2 major teams to play against for Arsenal per season: Utd, and Chelsea. the rest are peanuts.

as opposed to just united for the last few years ?
    don't see how a 3 horse race is less interesting than a two horse race tbh.

Parker looks like a good singing, although I think Charlton have milked a few million over the odds out of Roman's pocket money.

Hopefully he'll give Chels a bit of solidity in midfield that Ms. Veron and Joe Showboat Cole do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

an excellent buy by chelsea,but its dissappointing the lack of loyalty players have this year.i think this transfer window is a load of crap,players should only be allowed move at end of season,cos like llook at it now-where wil charlton go from here?

these guys are all professional footballers, they will take the best job offer that comes along, offers the best prospects, better wages, champions league football etc. like in any chosen profession loyalty is tradeable commodity. Why should a player be loyal to a club ? if young Parker hadn't done so well for Charlton they would have no hesitation in selling him to Div 1 club or simply letting him go , clubs will happily shaft any of their players so why should a player be any different ?

Curbishley is just whinging like a little girl who's had her lollipop nicked by the nasty kid next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He can't play against Charlton next week cause its a clause in his contract, but Claudio said he'll make his debut on Sun.
    Duff unlikley to play picked up an achilles injury.
    Veron will be back sooner than expected not the 3 months that have been quoted in the paper.
    Crespo should be back in training next week.

Cole suspended for Sun and I don't know what the prognosis of Terry and Huth are. They collided in training but there is no break in JT's knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by growler
    ...although I think Charlton have milked a few million over the odds out of Roman's pocket money.
    Just goes to show how underrated Parker is. I think he will be England's number one central midfielder in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Just goes to show how underrated Parker is. I think he will be England's number one central midfielder in a few years.

Yep I agree with that parker is a top class footballer and will shine in the Chelsea Team if he gets his game. I Hope Unite mad the right choice in going for Miller instead of him . Definite England CM in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

growler, whinging and engineering a move 6 months into a 4 year contract is a bit disloyal if you ask me. Why are you trying to portray his career as somehow fraught with difficulty? If he had stayed at Charlton, he would still be a millionaire in a couple of years. i find this "a player should try and screw everyone over in order to make money" a bit strange tbh. Its not normal work, for any half decent player in the premiership, moving or not moving will make no difference to their financial security.

I didn't try to portray his career as fraught with difficulty.

There is more to life (even as a multi million £ footballer) than money , Parker , like anyone else in a similar position obviously fancies (a) champions league (b) even more money (c) a realistic chance of winning something

can't blame him for that. He did well yesterday too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Brilliant ...

This post comes up as the newest post on boards for "chelsea" as a search term.

Thanks for the nostalgia though, I remember Parker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Wiki shows that this was the beginning of the end for Charlton.

Charlton spent much of the 2003–04 Premier League season challenging for a Champions League place, but a late-season slump in form and the sale of star player Scott Parker to Chelsea, left Charlton in seventh place, which was still the club's highest finish since the 1950s. Charlton were unable to build on this level of achievement and Alan Curbishley departed in 2006, with the club still established as a solid mid-table side. In May 2006, Iain Dowie was named as Curbishley's successor, but was sacked after 12 league matches in November 2006, with only two wins. Les Reed replaced Dowie as manager, however he too failed to improve Charlton's position in the league table and on Christmas Eve 2006, Reed was replaced by former player Alan Pardew. Although results did improve, Pardew was unable to keep Charlton up and relegation was confirmed in the penultimate match of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement