Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My iPod is DEAD !!!!

Options
  • 29-01-2004 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I have an older 5GB iPod that suddenly stopped working.
    The unit won't switch on and the display remains blank.

It was working fine and was connected to my Mac charging. I left it connected - powered off - over night and when I tried it today it was dead !

Any suggestions ?

Tinky

/Edit: Connecting the unit to the Mac does not bring it back to life nor will it appear on the desktop or in iTunes. It's charger doesn't offer any success either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Could be the battery. As the iPods have a reputation of the batteries only lasting like a year or something.

Try the Apple site for a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If you have owned it for or more than 18 months, it very well may be that its battery has ran out.

This issue has quickly spread and even has gotten the attention of the media (for more information, check out www.ipodbatteryfaq.com).

However, that should not be the case. The iPod should light up once connected to a PC/Mac, regardless of battery life. You should probably send Apple an email or browse through the forums at www.apple.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sorted it !

It appears to be an "undocumented feature" with all iPods. The trick is is to switch the hold switch on then off and hold down the MENU and PLAY button until the Apple symbol appears then everything is kunkydory again :D

I found it after a bit of searching on Apple's website

Thanks for the suggestions lads !

By the way this one is about 3 and a half years old and still going !!

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What sort of undocumented feature is that??!!!!; stop working suddenly 4 no reason?:dunno:, suppose apple know what they are doing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

On the newer ipod's anyway it's not undocumented. Like most here i'd say i'm too impatient to read manuals for new gear but i remember coming across a note somewhere that suggested that tactic if the ipod seemed unresponsive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    What sort of undocumented feature is that??!!!!; stop working suddenly 4 no reason?:dunno:, suppose apple know what they are doing .

Sshh Apples never crash, you'll ruin the myth...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Sshh Apples never crash, you'll ruin the myth...

Tell that to the G4 server where I work :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by rymus
    Tell that to the G4 server where I work :mad:

Wow and apple server. What do they use that for?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

why, for making apple juice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The only myth here is the one surrounding the mysterious 18month battery life.

I can (pratically) guarentee you its a myth. If you read the documentation carefully, you'll notice that the battery is good for about 300-500 charges (if i remember correctly). That means, in a worst case scenario, your battery will only recharge 300 times. Now, if you are someone who empties and recharges their ipod every 2 days, that means it will die within 600 days.

But how many people do that? Also, please notice that the site that was created regarding this "problem" was only registered 4 days after apple announced their replacement battery deal. those type of things don;t happen overnight.

Also, a friend of mine has a first generation ipod, bought about 4 months after they origionally came out, and its still working grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement