Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer just blew

• 29-01-2004 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

I have a 5 yr old packard bell P111 and it just blew or short ciruited there, A blue flash emitted from the back of the box, the monitor is ok , Im checking the fuse. I have a surge master so it could nt be from the external electric system!! Do computers just blow like that , I mean could the motherboard be fried? What are the reasons for computers to blow like this?

hertz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Sounds like the PSU shorted. If it did, the mobo just might have survived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Probably just the PSU filled up with dust and then BANG/FLASH.

Chances are the rest of the PC is fine - PSU's are good like that.

'Bout €30 for a replacement (Maplin have a 400Watt for €30 at the moment)

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

400 watt for a p 1 111 mhz :eek: bit over kill wouldnt ya think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Il have to bring it to computsore or similar to get it checked out, It could be PSU or worse!! then decide what Il do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Originally posted by bizmark
    400 watt for a p 1 111 mhz :eek: bit over kill wouldnt ya think

Pentium 3 :p

• Advertisement

Pentium 3

Eh ? a 5 year old 111mhz pentium can not be a pentium 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Originally posted by bizmark
    Eh ? a 5 year old 111mhz pentium can not be a pentium 3

He never said 111 mhz...no 111mhz chip exists. He said P111 which I take as being Pentium 3.

We will see ! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by hertz
    Il have to bring it to computsore or similar to get it checked out, It could be PSU or worse!! then decide what Il do.
    Bet you its a mobo/cpu/new pc job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

rob a psu off a friend and test it. Whats the worst that can happen?

That also happened to me a while back (i was wondering what the 220/110 switch did on the back of the psu). Thankfully it was under warrenty, so i got a replacement PSU.

I'd be 90% certain its just the PSU, if not, then buying a new 400watt will be useful for when you build your new computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

most lilely the psu. did the old 'wonder what'll happen if i flick this 220/110 switch on the back here' trick with my first pc when i was a wee lad.

ended up with a big bump on the back of my head cos i was under my desk at the time and the damn thing was on.

made me jump to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

PSU blows up when you change the Voltage at the back???:eek:, have always wondered about that little switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

lol :D, have a mate who tried that. He got a new PC and was really happy with it, tried to print something for the first time (bout 2 weeks after he got it) and it was really slow ....... naturally he thought the PC was the problem and looked at the back and saw the magic switch...

Thought to himself well what else could it be only fast/slow switch...... few mins later smoke everywhere lol, nearly cried when he told me that story. Supprising how many people do it eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

its defo the PSU.

*flashback*

2years ago i foolishly flicked the switch at the back of the comp from 220AC to 110DC(american voltage)
    causing the psu to emit a loud crack and a blue spark and then it smelt of the paper "caps" that make the noise when u smack em with a rock :D
    now i got a psu with no switch to avoid the temptation of doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

. . . . of the comp from 230AC to 120DC(american voltage)

120VDC ????? :confused:

Tinky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

most lilely the psu. did the old 'wonder what'll happen if i flick this 220/110 switch on the back here' trick with my first pc when i was a wee lad

That also happened to me a while back (i was wondering what the 220/110 switch did on the back of the psu). Thankfully it was under warrenty, so i got a replacement PSU.

LOL - Darwinism in action
    Usually happens americans when they come over here and for get to set the voltage for this side of the Atlantic.
    If you are really lucky one diodes on the mains side will have shorted and blown the fuse. If you are really really lucky someone might be able to fix it for less the the price of a replacement psu - no commercial place would.

I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't instinctively know what 220/110 on a psu meant. :eek:

test it out. put a kid(15 yrs old with no clue bout computers) with the back of a tower facing him and he will instinctively go for the bright red switch to "test" it out

Originally posted by Caliden
    test it out. put a kid(15 yrs old with no clue bout computers) with the back of a tower facing him and he will instinctively go for the bright red switch to "test" it out
    I'm depressed enough about this country as it is, without being reminded of it's future... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by hertz
    Il have to bring it to computsore....

Yes and while your at it throw some of your money into a river, better yet burn it
    Its about the same use as going there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

america uses 110v AC, Europe uses 230v AC.

Putting 110v through 230v doesn't usually cause any damage.

Putting 230v through 110v causes alot of damage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Its an intel Pentium 3 450mhz processor, just to clear up the confusion. But other then computstore does anyone else now of any good places to bring it in the Galway city area, or county?

hertz

i would says it just the psu as the motherboard wouldnt make a blue flash. ur better off buying a psu and putting it in yourself. its not as hard as you think plus compustore workers dont ave a clue wat they're talking about ( well most of em dont)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

XL computers.. on the Ballybrit Industrial Estate. not suse if he still works there but ask for michael.

otherwise...

North American supply voltages (NEMA) are single phase 110-127V or 208-240V.

tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    LOL - Darwinism in action

Indeed but not good enough to get a nomination in the awards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi all

The mobo might be screwed up as during the few seconds when the psu works at the wrong setting it will b supplying the pc wit double the voltage it shud b and the rest of the pc MAY be damaged.

BTW: If people are deluded by the scenes of "teenage" scangers committing various crimes on tv and start to believe that all "teenagers" are a disaster then they need a reality check. There are a lot of intelligent teenagers still out there- if u heard of ctyi u'll know wat i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    There are a lot of intelligent teenagers still out there- if u heard of ctyi u'll know wat i mean.

That you're taking the piss?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no no.. that he doesn't know he's taking the piss

• Advertisement

The mobo might be screwed up as during the few seconds when the psu works at the wrong setting it will b supplying the pc wit double the voltage it shud b and the rest of the pc MAY be damaged.

Switched mode PSU's used in PC's have protection called crowbar. If the 5V rail rises above a preset level a thyristor switches on placing a direct short across the line instantly shutting it down. Also these types of PSU dont vary in output voltage when the input voltage varies they use a reference by which the output is controlled. Switching the psu to 110vac would more than likely just have destroyed the rectifiers and resevoir capacitor instantly blowing the internal fuse - if present - or the plugtop fuse which should be a 3A rating.

Tinky

Advertisement