Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

solano to villa for £1.5m

• 29-01-2004 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

top deal in my opinion, just what we need

what the rest of you make of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I said about 2 weeks when this was first reported that it would be a good deal if we got him cheap.

1.5million is a real bargain, DOL may only have signed 3 players but they all were bargain deals.

Lee Hendrie will either have to perform now or keep the bench warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brilliant Crosser, used to get a lot of assits in his early years at newcastle he was on a par with becks n that department for 1.5 M you couldn,t go wrong. Good Buy as well IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

he's been a great servant for the toon and im sad to see him go :( . Good look to him at villa though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

yea, without doubt it's good value. villa are doing wonders at the moment with a very limited squad. solano will provide what they have been missing - good service to the front men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

as a newcastle supporter that just pisses me off..

1.5m? stick this thread in the bargain forum

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Lee Hendrie can go n'shíte!! He's one of the worst Villa players I can ever remember - and we've had our fair share..... He's a fake tanned gimp. Why Taylor persisted in playing him I'll never know, and even the confidence boost a new manager brings to a club (...see one Juan Pablo Angel) did nothing for Hendrie. He's a lost cause. Right side of midfield has been our weakest position for quite some time. We can't play Hadji there again because one more apperance from him means we'll owe Coventry £500,000 as a final instalment on the transfer fee from a few years back.

O'Leary really is finding some bargains. He's brought in Sorenson (who's well on his way to becoming one of the all-time great Villa keepers) McCann (our engine) & Solano now for a combined fee of £5.75 million. That's 3 decent players for £2 million less than Man City paid for pie-eating Robbie Fowler. Add those 3 signings to the players he's rejuvinated - Angel, Samuel & Delaney and he really has changed things for the better.

The starting XI is beginning to get a nice balanced look about it.......

Sorenson
    Delaney --- Mellberg --- Dublin --- Samuel
    Solano -- McCann -- Hitzlesperger - Barry
    Angel
    Vassell

Still not great, but definately, definately improving. Well done O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

An absoulte bargain. He will help power us up the table. Its a pity we have only four million to spend next year. But solano was 1.5m so we could easily get two players of similar quality. Theres a few players going for free next summer like okocha. if we could capture him we`d be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Shocking bit of transfer dealing from newcastle:eek: We are left with no natural right winger anymore, this could seriously hurt Shearers goalscoring. Great bargin for Villa though, they are definatly moving in the right direction. A chance for that sixth spot if Angel keeps his form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Robson must be going senile selling Solano for that price. Ridiculous :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Surely Robo sold him to show his intentions for one stephen carr for like 2.5 to 3 million who i think is a god replacement? surely thee toon wouldnt have let solano go if the carr deal wasnt 90% done and dusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

That Villa side looks decent. I'd say it could beat just about anyone on their day. I'm a bit worried about playing a forward at the back but hes done a good job to date.

And I don't think it was a wise move selling Solano if he was being replaced by Carr. Carr is a great player but him and Solano are two different types of player. Carr is a defender. You don't really expect him to get too many assists now do you?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Robson must be going senile selling Solano for that price. Ridiculous :mad:
    Agree there. Raised an eyebrow at this transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Great deal for us again by DOL ! Hope he sticks around which he will only do so if funds are provided !

Still getting worried as the way Ellis keeps reducing transfer budgets ( estimated €4m in summer - could be €3.5 now because of Solano ). He keeps bleating on about the losses we are making but we will never make serious money if we don't invest it to get and keep us in Europe. How much money does he think we will make in Division 1 where we could end up in a few seasons if we are not careful. Ellis invested £400,000 in buying the club, all transfer fees have come from other sources and he has made at least £10 million on shares and wages. We need urgent and serious investment as we cannot hope to stay up with 12 first teamers in a squad of 16.

Let's go for Okocha - I'd forgive him for the Carling Cup cos he would push us for some silverware !

Dig deep & Up The Villa !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I really do think that Newcastle will go for Carr now and Spurs will replace him with the very highly rated Irish man Stephen Kelly. Also, if Spurs do sell Carr, Andy Reid could be on his way to London. That would leave me supporting Spurs as they will have Keane, Doc, Reid, Kelly and Yeates, all of which would be in contention for the starting eleven.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I know Bobby says he wanted to go, but there must have been some sort of bust up behind the scenes (possibly Bobby is still sore about his u-turn on the international scene). You dont just sell one of your first team players for next to nothing when you have no proper backup and Solano left a squad where he was a first team player and playing regularly in europe to move for less money per week.
    Hopefully bobby spends the cash from Nobby and Cort to buy Carr and work hard with Ambrose to try and bring him up to a premiership level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Nike_Dude.. there was a bust up reportedly ( he seemingly walked out on Newc after being left out of the Middlesborough game ).

But what a bargain for Villa.. O'Leary is proving he can manage to create a decent enough side without splashing out on worthless players. He (and the team) still need better support from a certain Mr.Ellis though if they are to recapture past glories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Great buy for villa, creates competition all accross the midfield, might see rodney crouch getting a few more games with is aeiral 'ability'.

good buy.

john

Advertisement