Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[New Forum] Distance/Evening Education

Options
  • 29-01-2004 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

Board Name: Distance/Evening Learning (or something less cumbersome)
    Description: Forum for those doing university or other courses at night or on their own.
    Private Y/N: N

I've just started doing some Maths and Physics modules with the Open University and I think it nice to have a forum for people who are studying in their spare time. Whether it just be somewhere where people who are doing the same courses or are studying with the same institution can chat about them or discuss the issues surrounding doing courses while having to work.

I'm lumping this in with all the people who do degrees etc. at night as I think a lot of the same issues overlap. When I was at day to day college it was always nice to chat about and get some perspective on your academic courses. There's not so much scope for doing that when you're essentially studying on your own.

Would be nice to chat to folks in the same boat and from what I know there's loads out there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm willing to create this purely on the basis that I'm taking maths and computing modules with the OU :p

But, the question is should it be a community forum or does it have the demand to be under Education ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Personally I'd say part-time education is now a huge part of education in general and so would merit being fired in under Education.

On the flipside I have no idea how many peeps on boards are actually doing any of these courses so I don't know if it would generate much traffic. Though I'd imagine there must be a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

As someone who is in part time education (and has been for the past four years) I wholeheartedly support this proposal...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup, I'm also doing OU courses so I support this proposal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

as some1 who intends to do OU courses in the future i heartily endorse this board :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think its only fair (and accurate) to put it under Education.
    Good suggestion too...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I support this too.

I'm a mature student finishing up a thesis 100 miles away from college (I visit about once every six weeks) and am considering doing a proper distance learning degree in the next few years. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Cool.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Excellent :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement