Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cap Changing soon?

• 30-01-2004 12:19am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

im gettin broadband (hopefully) in next 15 days, the current eircom cap is 4gb but is this to rise officially anytime soon along in March with the changed prices? Also ive read thru the boards that no-one has really been charged for breaking the limit apart from one guy who broke it by 74gb lol but is it safe to say downloading 8gb in ur first month, i really dont think eircom can make someone who has downloaded 8gb pay the extra charges coz even they know that all their competitors have an 8gb limit anyway and have to be changing that limit sometime soon. Also when I ordered the bb from eircom the other day everything was expained to me in explicit detail except the cap, im kinda thinking that apart from us boards.ie users and a few others that the vast majority of broadband clients dont even know that there is a cap and most people do not read the tiny type which explains it so I would imagine taht alot of people who know no better are breaking that cap completely without knowing of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I hope it changes and I would just threaten to leave if they tried to charge me for 8 gig's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by I am MAN
    I hope it changes and I would just threaten to leave if they tried to charge me for 8 gig's.
    Might work with another company, but don't forget who owns your phone line. If you tell them where to stick their bill, they are not likely to just let you switch to IOL or UTV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think this cap can only increase, the cap works out an average of 136.5mb download a day on 512bps which is nothing, this cap includes everything you do, surfing, email, every image, every page, games, msn, irc, yahoo, icq before you even get to wot most people refer to as downlaoding files. With more and more people signing up by the day and general internet usage becoming more demanding (bigger websites with large flash intros being one) and bigger patches/windows updates they have to change it very very soon. Also are we the only country that has broadband caps coz afaik every other country has broadband without caps and theres never really problems from it. If Eircom brought the cap up to 15gb i think even that would suit most people and it wouldnt really bottle up the network but the 4gb cap leaves really no room to downlaod anything after a months worth of surfing and emails are taking into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've heard stories from someone who works inside eircom that come march1st with the BB offerings, the caps are prob gonna go up or maybe the speeds. Speeds alone seems pointless but yes. Nothing is entirely official yet and all the agents only have whats going around the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Gonzo
    I think this cap can only increase,... If Eircom brought the cap up to 15gb i think even that would suit most people and it wouldnt really bottle up the network

i'll agree that the 4 gig cap is ridiculous ... i mean how much "educational websites" could you children download after you've been playing games, sites, msn ... and the other stuff you 've mentioned and thats before the "extra" downloads :)

but i'm pretty sure i could think of one or two ppl who'd abuse the full 15gigs of it every single month :) and then try push it even further :p I think MrPink knows who I'm talking about! :D
    that said, a 15gig cap would be brilliant, but for now, we've to deal with their "if we give you a big cap you'll **** up our system" attitude to all of us customers (i'm IOL BB btw, not Eircom so i've 8 gigs anyway)

if you did threaten to leave, i'm not too sure they'd care :) they'd prob hound you for weeks afterwards trying to get you to sign up again ... but in the end, if you get connected in february, dl 8 gigs, and they charge you, and then you say you're leaving - you still have to pay them for the full year's connection - that's eircom's deal you see. if you're not happy, **** you we'll take your money anyway cause you've no choice :)

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Ryaner
    I've heard stories ... the caps are prob gonna go up or maybe the speeds.

if any of that is true i'd say it's the cap that'll go up....maybe not to 8, but at least 6.

but the speeds??? I seriously doubt that one... it'd be pointless to up the speeds you can get (or lower the contention ratio for that matter) without upping the cap!
    i TRANSFER ~4gig a month (in my second month so far and it looks about the same as last month) and that includes upload/download ... it's not ALOT of data transfer a month considering my cap of 8 gigs, but i'd still be restricting myself if i had Eircom. doesnt feel like BB if you've to turn off your PC for a week so as not to go over the cap :)

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

.... I ordered the bb from eircom...
    You decided to spend your money with oreillycom, instead of their competitors, and you want sympathy from us?

As someone one said - "You have your glue".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Also are we the only country that has broadband caps coz afaik every other country has broadband without caps and theres never really problems from it.

I was surprised to learn from a friend of mine who lives in Holland that his 8mb/s cable which costs him 50 euro/month has a 30GB/month limit.

I mean it's a nice limit but becomes significant when you take into account the speed of the connection.

Other than that though I've not really heard of caps in other countries, apart from ntl's 1GB/day which doesn't mean much anyway since they allow you to go over it (so I hear).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Caps aren't all that uncommon on the bottom of the range DSL products in any country. Australia even has a 500Mb capped 256K service. Generally if you are getting an uncapped line then you have to pay a little extra for it. It makes sense that light users should be able to get a cheaper package. The problem over here is that if you want more than the bargin basement 512K/128K RADSL then you have to pay twice as much for the next step up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh NO they'll be so scared of you!
    You signed up to there T&C's you can't threaten them

They own your ass :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my main reason for choosing eircom is gaming. Ive read nearly all the ping results on the boards and eircom users come out with the best pings almost every time by at least 10/15ms. UTV doesnt come into the picture if your mainly a gamer coz their pings are quite bad compared to eircom/iol, their more like standard isdn pings. Reason I didnt choose esat is i dont trust them, people been disconnected if they go over the 8gb is too harsh plus upon further reading the boards more ppl have had general problems with esat anyhow. However I do agree that Eircoms' cap is a bit restrictive and it would be nice to know if the cap is gonna be raised, i think when they raise it that they will at least match their competitors 8gb limit. Downloading would be secondary to me after gaming, surfing, msn etc. We'll see what happens in March - raising the speed is pointless with the cap, raising the cap is the only way, perhaps even more important than the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

raising the cap is the only way, perhaps even more important than the price.
    REMOVING the cap will have an effect coupled with a price drop - I'd say most ppl who get Eircon BB dont even know about the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Also are we the only country that has broadband caps coz afaik every other country has broadband without caps and theres never really problems from it

No as people have stated almost every connection is capped in some way tho usually its with a fair usage agreement which basically says dont constantly abuse or we'll lean on you. The amount you can download before they 'lean' on you is at least 30 or 40gb. That was over a year ago. Quite possibly that has gone up again as a lot of people in nl got free 25% speed increases. (xs4all ne way)

RADSL speeds will not increase due to limits in the technology(your lucky already if you get the full 512k). Feel free to proove me wrong tho :D
    I was surprised to learn from a friend of mine who lives in Holland that his 8mb/s cable which costs him 50 euro/month has a 30GB/month limit.
    I wonder how much legitimate stuff you can download a month if you can do 30gb. After the first month you must start running outta things. (unless your gonna do warez and we all know thats evil :p )
    I think the main attraction with 8mb is that anything you download will be available almost instantly, not how much you can download which is why the cap is so 'low'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Increasing the cap doesn't make a whole lot of sense - it's already about 20% higher than an even distribution of the available bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Originally posted by longword
    Increasing the cap doesn't make a whole lot of sense - it's already about 20% higher than an even distribution of the available bandwidth.

Assuming that everyone downloads constantly 24/7.

Going on netsource's experience, only 10% of users actually get near this kind of usage.

Originally posted by longword
    That's because, despite the noisy protestation of some of the more voluble posters, "ordinary" users don't use 4G a month.

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to pay less for a 3G cap (as long as I didn't have to pay oreillycom for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

im gettin broadband (hopefully) in next 15 days, the current eircom cap is 4gb but is this to rise officially anytime soon along in March with the changed prices? Also ive read thru the boards that no-one has really been charged for breaking the limit apart from one guy who broke it by 74gb lol but is it safe to say downloading 8gb in ur first month, i really dont think eircom can make someone who has downloaded 8gb pay the extra charges coz even they know that all their competitors have an 8gb limit anyway and have to be changing that limit sometime soon. Also when I ordered the bb from eircom the other day everything was expained to me in explicit detail except the cap, im kinda thinking that apart from us boards.ie users and a few others that the vast majority of broadband clients dont even know that there is a cap and most people do not read the tiny type which explains it so I would imagine taht alot of people who know no better are breaking that cap completely without knowing of it.

dont be ridiculous...you signed up for a service and your getting just that. They will charge you if you go over and theres nothing you can do about as its entirely your fault.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    They will charge you if you go over

well since eircom havnt been charging people for going over the cap yet then you must have some inside info that eircom are going to start charging is that correct? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dam0cles

my main reason for choosing eircom is gaming. Ive read nearly all the ping results on the boards and eircom users come out with the best pings almost every time by at least 10/15ms.

I'm a gamer also, and have just ordered the business 512k/256k one from esat because i must have been reading different ping results than you!! i presume you meant that eircom win when measured against the resold esat RADSL. I can achieve pings like those quoted by the eircom users with isdn and esat anytime. The business package is more expensive, but it's uncapped, and if you get a dedicated line installed you can get it unbundled and pay no line rental on it, only the monthly esat fee. because it's ADSL rather than RADSL, by it's nature it's going to be a better quality line.

aye i know that esat business is the best you'll ever get but unfortunately i dont have that privilage, its only on 40 exchanges throughout the country and eircom radsl is the best you'll get in a non esatbusiness dsl enabled area.

• Advertisement

afaik eircom have only charged one person who did blatently abuse the service and went 74gb above the 4gb allowance lol, so that doesnt really count as that was blatant abuse but for most ppl they have gone to 12gb at the most and never been charged espeially when the majority of eircom broadband subscribers have no idea that there is a cap in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm i'd much prefare a cap increase i dont' see the point in getting a 1mb line so i can download my cap faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by tuxx
    well since eircom havnt been charging people for going over the cap yet then you must have some inside info that eircom are going to start charging is that correct? :rolleyes:

What planet are you on?

Of course they have been charging. Two of my neighbours have been and a couple of lads in college. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and not one person on boards has been charged? very weird

if eircom are charging for going over the limit, at wot point do they start charging? id imagine you would have to go way over the limit and download 10+gigs a month?

its always oh a friend of mine was charged find me one instance on these boards where someone said they were charged

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭violenza

You may just get a bill in a couple of months backdated to cover all those times you broke the cap. Couple of years back I was using a certain free isp, Assumed the dial up costs were on the bill....SIX MONTHS later we get a bill off those scumbags backdating the costs to 200euro. They hadn't got the number registered and so hadn't been billing us for it. Having never been in arrears in the 20 years we had the line all of sudden we had 2 weeks to pay or the line was gone...tried to talk reason with the monkeys and all we got was hassle. So much time spent trying to make arrangements but they wouldn't hear it, ended up paying the lot in 1 go...

f**kers have us over a barrel and here I am with little alternative but to take up their broadband...this country!!!!!

sorry rant over :p

oh wait iv just realised Ronaldo7 is just a troll no one has been charged, damn im slow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

i was charged :), it does happen, granted i did go over by about a gig :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Caffine
    i was charged :), it does happen, granted i did go over by about a gig :)
    Can you scan that bill and post it?
    (I'm not challenging you to prove it, I'm just interested in how they did it. Before this thread, nobody has ever claimed to have been charged).

Advertisement