Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem(USR) problem on Dell

• 30-01-2004 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a Dell pc a few years now that came installed with an USR modem(oem version). When I upgraded the o/s to WinXP the modem suffered speed wise and there were no new drivers available, I was using the generic winxp drivers. Last week I bought a "USR 56K Internal Voice Faxmodem(2884b-retail)" in PC World. I installed the new modem having un-installed the old one and all seemed o.k. however after about 50secs connected to the net I was dissconnected, this happens repeatedly. This happened with 2 different ISP's(iol+eircom). I upgraded the drivers to the latest version from USR's web site to no avail, same problem. I rolled back to the WinXP generic drivers and all is well. However now the modem is recognised as an oem-modem and I have lost the functionality the USR drivers gave me. I've contacted USR tech support to no avail. Has anyone come across this issue before or can shed any light on the problem. Would appericate any ideas.

Advertisement