Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish supplier wanted for the following

• 30-01-2004 5:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

1Gig sticks of PC2100 or PC2700 ECC Registered DDR
    with possible CAS/RAS/CAS-ro-RAS ratings of 2/2/2 :)
    Anywhere cheap selling them?

UV reactive 60cm and 45cm rounded 80-wire, SATA and Floppy cables.

UV Reactive or LED 80, 92 and 120mm fans, in 4-pin molex and/or 3-pin mobo-jacks.

A decent UV light

A good Enermax or Fortran 460W+ PSU

Arctic Silver 5

A silver trace repair pen / some sort of conductive paint for bridge modding

XP2400 20Ghz clock / 266Mhz FSB Throughbreds (unless Thortons are easily Multiplier and L5 bridge modabble).

Rubber grommets for mounting drives and fans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

May I recommend Elara :

Do a request in the following Elara forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=268

I'm sure they cant get you somet of the above items :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Maplins will have most of that stuff, not the psu probably though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For alot of that stuff try.......

www.hitide.ie - have alot of the stuff your looking for.

Memory wise try www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk , they have Pc2100 & Pc3200 reg ram, there is a 1gb Pc3200 ram kit for €240 - AFAIK there will be no problem running it at 2-2-2 or very close to that due to the fact that you will have MAX FSB of 150mhz ish.

The only place i know that will deliver to ireland and stocks fortron PSU's is www.pc-look.com ....... you could try the be-quiets from hitide (have a look at the outputs on the 12v, 5v lines - think its prob what your looking for).

With reguards the CPU's i think most of them are locked these days (definetly the thortons) so this means your pretty screwed for overclocking due to low FSB (133-150mhz)........... your overclocking will prob be with the FSB, 266mhz Xp2400+ would be a nice chip to get, or Unlocked Xp2500+'s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't really want to overclock the chips (at least until I'm sure they're working stably at 2Ghz), but I want to make sure the multiplier can be set on the chip without any hassle, need a 15 multiplier minimum to get to 2Ghz at 133FSB.
    Looks like I'll have to go to overclockers after all.
    COL_LOKI, you seem to know the MSI board fairly well :)
    Can you tell me if the IDE controller in the southbridge supports drives over 127Gigs?

I don't really want to overclock the chips (at least until I'm sure they're working stably at 2Ghz), but I want to make sure the multiplier can be set on the chip without any hassle, need a 15 multiplier minimum to get to 2Ghz at 133FSB.

If you get a locked chip then you wont be able to change the multiplier by conventional methods at all (unless something has come up in the last month/becides the complicated changing it to a mobile chip.......). There isint a multiplier setting in the MSI bios so the changing will have to be done by blowing/connecting bridges OR using a small piece of wire and putting it in certain holes of the CPU Socket (Easy enough and reversing is handy).

If you cant get unlocked chips then Xp24000+ (or simular chips with the desired multiplier 15 is nice)is the chip to go for. This will leave you between 2ghz and 2.2ghz speed which isint bad at all (FSB 133-145/150). There is a jumper lock on the board AFAIK to set the PCI lock to 33mhz always, might be handy to know when upping the FSB :) .

On the >137gb ....... im not totally sure, its not that new of a board to be honest so i wouldnt think so . Will have a look around again and if i find anything i will post it.

For a good link that might save you money try....

www.jes-computer.de - I know they arent irish but , 160gb SATA Samsung - €110, enermax PSU 460w - €89 (am not mad bout enermax myself). They do all this lights aswell i think, and have the Xp2400+ 266mhz FSB chip............might be of help.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    If you get a locked chip then you wont be able to change the multiplier by conventional methods at all (unless something has come up in the last month/becides the complicated changing it to a mobile chip.......). There isint a multiplier setting in the MSI bios so the changing will have to be done by blowing/connecting bridges OR using a small piece of wire and putting it in certain holes of the CPU Socket (Easy enough and reversing is handy).
    Yeah, I'd considered that, but i don't like the idea of blowing the bridges, the idea is fine, the current will take the path of least resistance, but I'd be afraid of leaving the contacts at the 9V for a second too long and frying something inside the chip, as when the bridge is popped, the only path left will be through the cpu core/packaging.

If you cant get unlocked chips then Xp24000+ (or simular chips with the desired multiplier 15 is nice)is the chip to go for. This will leave you between 2ghz and 2.2ghz speed which isint bad at all (FSB 133-145/150).
    I've been planning to get Xp2400s all along, but I was worried about the BIOS mobo not supporting the 15x multiplier.
    But if I leave that setting to Auto in the MSi BIOS I'm not sure if the T'Bred Xp2400 will have a 15x multiplier itself, and might revert to some basic default multiplier far from what it's capable of.
    The "locked" Thorton cores might be just what I need, cos afaik due to them being "locked" at the 15x multiplier, setting the BIOS to Auto multiplier should get me the 2Ghz I need @133FSB.
    Might stump up for PC2700 ram anyways for a bit of headroom and better timings.
    There is a jumper lock on the board AFAIK to set the PCI lock to 33mhz always, might be handy to know when upping the FSB :) .
    Is the AGP bus locked to 66Mhz aswell?
    What about the 64-bit PCI?
    On the >137gb ....... im not totally sure, its not that new of a board to be honest so i wouldnt think so . Will have a look around again and if i find anything i will post it.

For a good link that might save you money try....

www.jes-computer.de - I know they arent irish but , 160gb SATA Samsung - €110, enermax PSU 460w - €89 (am not mad bout enermax myself). They do all this lights aswell i think, and have the Xp2400+ 266mhz FSB chip............might be of help.

Cool :)
    Trying to stay with irish suppliers, or english for the few odds and ends I can't get easily here, for VAT purposes ;)

If you get Xp2400+ chips and there locked then you have the 15x multiplier which is perfect for you (the board shouldnt have any problem at all with this) and you'll have the extra cache.

If the Xp2400's are unlocked you are still sorted , 15x multi as standard and you can chance the multiplier through the (non blowing bridges :)) socket wire trick.

Either way duron/Xp i think youve got that sorted (could always try to re-enable the cache on the duron)!!

Is the AGP bus locked to 66Mhz aswell?

Im almost possitive its not. Theres no jumper or bios option for it so thats the only real problem i see. Ive heard people run @150mhz FSB with no PCI or AGP lock no hassle . Chances are you'll get 145mhz anyway (next step is 150mhz - also highest FSB of this board) so i dont think its a big issue. No sure about the 64bit PCI , wasent something i was going to use so didnt research it.
    Trying to stay with irish suppliers, or english for the few odds and ends I can't get easily here, for VAT purposes

Ahh you fecker thats 21% saving already then yea :) , nice. Cant you do the same if its german etc (ie in europe) ??
    Might stump up for PC2700 ram anyways for a bit of headroom and better timings.

Yea Pc2700 would be a nice choice. Pc2100 - no real headroom, Pc3200 - bit of a waste!! I know there is good Pc2700 Reg memory out there, forget where i came accross it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

How much is an unlocked 2500xp worth?

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    If you get Xp2400+ chips and there locked then you have the 15x multiplier which is perfect for you (the board shouldnt have any problem at all with this) and you'll have the extra cache.
    XP2400+s are not Thoroughbreds I take it?
    Are they Thortons so?

Ahh you fecker thats 21% saving already then yea :) , nice. Cant you do the same if its german etc (ie in europe) ??
    Probbly can, but I'd be doing it though a contact as opposed to my own business or something.
    Would like to keep it as hassl free for them as possible.

Yea Pc2700 would be a nice choice. Pc2100 - no real headroom, Pc3200 - bit of a waste!! I know there is good Pc2700 Reg memory out there, forget where i came accross it .
    Yeah, I'd like to get some Samsung if I could.

XP2400+s are not Thoroughbreds I take it?
    Are they Thortons so?

Doh sorry, i always think applebread's when i hear thortons for some reason.......... 128kb cache. It always feckin gets me!! Yea the newer ones are thortons alright. Ie they are bartons with half the cache dissabled (possibly re-enable it to make it like a Xp2700+ barton).
    Yeah, I'd like to get some Samsung if I could.

Well there is Samsung 512mb Pc2700 (ecc - R) ram Here - Excaliber PC , there american and you would have to get each stick delivered on its own (due to stupid delivery) but still it works out at €200 for 1gb which isint bad......(and you shouldnt get charged vat)

• Advertisement

I need single 1Gig sticks to maximise the upgrade path :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

A note about Jes- computer, I've ordered off them before, and the guys that work there seem to be great, but they get their stuff delivered here by omega-securicor, who screwed me around no end, Hopefully that's a once off though. A bit of hassle is worth it for their prices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by SyxPak

UV reactive 60cm and 45cm rounded 80-wire, SATA and Floppy cables.

UV Reactive or LED 80, 92 and 120mm fans, in 4-pin molex and/or 3-pin mobo-jacks.

A decent UV light

elara are a sharkoon reseller who make most of those items above so you should be able to get your hands on them. also peats in town are now stocking some sharkoon items also.

Advertisement