Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish bands

Options
  • 30-01-2004 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

hello, how are you doing today?
    hey, im new round here... i came across this message board while i was listening to an irish radio station... phantom i think it was... but i've clicked on so many links now i don't know if this is related to that radio station anymore. so yea, i was listening to this irish station b/c i was interested to hear what ya'll were listening to over the ocean which leads me to my question.. I was looking for some suggestions for some irish bands that i could listen to. I enjoy finding new music and i like to listen to new stuff.. open myself up to new things, ya know. i do like traditional irish songs, mmm, love the sound of the violin in irish songs... you got anyone that mixes traditional irish music with modern stuff? hmm, well, if you're willing to give me any suggestions to bands i might check out, the music that im interested in is dave matthews band (u guys hear dmb in ireland? i was just thinking if they're all that international) bela fleck and the flecktones, coldplay, u2.. just to give you a general idea of something that will be in my ballpark.... basically if they're good musicians i think i'll enjoy it =) well, thank you all so very very much for your time and help.

cheers,
    beth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Traditional & modern? try Kila or Afro Celt Soundsystem..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you like coldplay & u2 you should check out "turn"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Check out The Frames &Stand - two cool Irish bands, not really traditional though but the Frames do use violin in some of their tunes.

You could also have a listen to my band Skandas ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

a few kick ass bands I can think of are Jaded Sun, Indigo Fury, Naked Flame, Shalka and the usual Frames, Damien Rice (and Dempsey to a lesser extent) and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Thank you, thank you :D it is amazing to hear so much talent.
    Shred, allow me to say that your band, skandas, is very good.. i was just listening to your song "control," it has a cool sound to it.. kinda reminded me of depeche mode =) the best of luck to you and your band. i liked the frames, their slow stuff is quite pretty, that star star song, yea. and the right road(wrong road) good stuff=)
    the kila guys were a cool find too, though those music videos were a bit.. different, hehe. and the afro celts, i didn't get a chance to take a listen online but i was listening to nrp and none other but the afro celts came on, so i taped it =) very cool stuff, definately wanna pick up that cd sometime. also, i mentioned them to my cousin and he got all excited cuz hes heard them.. he was like.. those guys are crazy, and indeedy they are. =) thanks for introducing me =) if i may, have you ever heard of bela fleck and the flecktones? some darn crazy musicians for anyone to listen to, esp if you like those afro celts you mentioned ;)
    so i tried finding the 'Turn' group, though i have seen them mentioned a few times, i can't seem to find their official website, but if they're like u2 and coldplay id love to give em a listen.
    damien rice is a beautiful artist, quite like david grey.. ive heard his name before, but this was the first time ive sat down and heard his music. I took a look at the Irishmusicnet.com you had posted and i went to Irish bands unsigned from there.. and, wow.. lots of talent, heard another guy like david grey there too, bill coleman, which brought me to derrick devine, very graceful sound to them all. and i heard bluetide band, they're very good too, have something that caught my ear =) and there are so many more from that website that i can mention, really, so much talent on just one website, its great.
    eh, i better wrap this up.. sorry if I got a bit carried away, just wanted to say, "thank you all so very very much" for you suggestions, they were very helpful indeed =)

~beth

• Advertisement

btw, what is extra great bout these irish bands is that irish accent =) man, wish the accents over here were as pretty as the irish accent.. no, wait, wish there was an accent where i lived.. theres not much of anything in CT, except that we say our a's weird.. so yea, thats not pretty..

just thinking out loud~beth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Check out Blood Or Whiskey and Flogging Molly . and to a certain extent, Dropkick murphys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

turn www.turn.ie
    polar www.polarofficial.com
    berkeley www.berkeley.cjb.net

and if ya can find em... future kings of spain, label, the 66e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Beth, some free mp3's on www.babyjenks.ie well worth a download.

I like DMB, latest album is lacking some of the passion of the previous ones tho.

Luc

Hello, how are you doing today? I hope i find you feeling healthy, =)
    thanks again everyone,
    blood and whiskey have an interesting twist, punk and celtic fusion, i like em.. the banjo is a nice touch =). they kinda remind me of the bosstones, think i saw a pic of them with the bosstones, i love ska ...
    flogging molly is great, they got some cool instruments in there (violin yay!)
    thank you for the link to turn. good stuff, nice and upbeat.. least the stuff i heard. the acoustics were also a nice listen =)
    Luc thanks for the link to baby jenks, definately worth a download.. beautiful stuff, love the keyboard, beautiful vocals...everything about it is.. so pretty
    yeah, i hear where ur coming from with busted stuff, its hard to compare anything with, say under the table and dreaming or before these crowded streets (my personal favorite) eh, but live, the busted stuff songs are just as amazing and thats all that really matters =) glad to hear ur a fan, so, have you had the pleasure of seeing dmb live?

thank you all so very very much =)
    cheers
    ~beth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

www.snowpatrol.net

www.reindeersection.com (scottish/northern irish)

www.melaton.ie

brilliant brilliant brilliant!!! enjoy!

I noticed someone above mentioned STAND! i used to go and see them the odd time. Didnt hear much over the last few years but just yesterday heard theyve been living in Ney York for a couple of years giging and recording and apparently are getting fairly big! I remember them being a little average but fairplay if my sources are telling th truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Caliban have a mix of rock and some traditional elements. www.ecaliban.com/music.htm

Check out Crossroads, Wish in My Well, Three Reels as an example.

Re: Baby Jenks, there's a few more songs on the site if you register, three mroe I think, 25 Miles is my favourite.

Never been to see DMB live, unfortunately.

Before These Crowded Streets is one of my favourite albums, (love the combination of Pantala Naga Pampa and Rapunzel at the start!).

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

the best Irish bands are u2 and ash

all the rest are mediocre

the best Irish bands are u2 and ash

u2..fair enough..ash are ****e..

snow patrol....the reindeer section...bell x1...

thanks again everyone =)
    sorry that it has taken so long to reply, have been a bit busy.
    ShriekingSheet : for some reason my computer is givin me a hard time and doesn't want to dl the reindeer section player.. so i'll have to work on that some more. looking foward to hearing them since ur other suggestions were great =) the snow patrol are good, love melaton~really caught my ear. the piano is great, vocals are impressive, drums add a nice touch too, ya know.. not all over powering, just right =) hehe, i talk like im a music critic or something, like i have some kinda authority. :rolleyes: anyway, thanks for the link =)

The Smircher: liked caliban, three reels was cool, "alright, here ya go, heres some irish music for ya!" yipee! that was a nice mix of traditional and rock. nice suggestion =)
    AngelofFire: hmm, ash i couldn't seem to find a sample of their stuff.. i did find a musican ash plant though, more irish dancing music =) but from the pictures i saw of a group ash im assuming that they aren't the same.. and perhaps quite different. i guess i'll find out. oh, and i'll disagree that the rest of these bands are mediocre... some of these bands are great, but of course, music is a matter of opinion, its all about how u hear it.. what it means to u.. and how it moves u. etc...
    CQD: bell x1 are good, each song sounds different from the next, some fast.. some slow.. tis good.
    luc- i registered for some more baby jenks, i agree, 25 miles is very good. great musicians. hmm, are u familiar with the band, "agiven" heard them through irish unsigned.. said they were influenced by dmb, so of course i listened, and they're good =) speaking of this site... another band that i heard was clann zu, they're very different. their violin player is crazy good, ahh! really cool stuff irish-middle eastern-rock.. and sometimes he sings in irish, really interesting.
    stink, i love pnp into rapunzel, aye, love how carter goes right into the next with the drums.. mmm, and when dave sings, "blood through my veins for you," i get goosebumps everytime =) sorry that u havn't been able to see them, maybe someday they'll go international and u can catch em then =) hey, don't know if ur aware, or interested, but theres a great dmb fan site.. antsmarching.org u can dl full shows, just their 03-04 server is down (to the best of my knowledge) right now. they're some cool shows u can hear, look around the message board.. i think theres a thread about good shows to dl.. i say anything with bela fleck and the flecktones is worth a listen =) and thats my dmb tangent.

thank you all so very very much =) i enjoy listening to all these bands.. they're some really great musicians. and sorry that i wrote a lot.. again, just want to let u know that i appreciate ur suggestions.
    ~beth

Good that you enjoyed the music, :) Yea, I know them pretty well, they really should be making music all the time, unfortunatly, they're not exactly making it pay, so day jobs are getting in the way a bit. I keep trying to poke them into doing a tour. *poke*

Luc

hello, how are u doing today? i hope i find u feeling healthy.
    *poke* =) that made me laugh.
    yea, id agree with u that they should make music full time and share their talent =). keep on poking.. b/c they should tour, tell them that i say so =) hehe

~beth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Not sure if you've heard of them but alot of people seem to like The Thrills. Maybe you might like them.

hey, thank you! the name sounds familiar, but the music didn't ring any bells.
    kinda reminded me of The Who, which of course is a compliment =) thanks for the intro =)
    ~beth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you're interested in buying Irish CDs online (or even just to get a few more ideas) try http://www.roadrecs.com/stock/shopping.php3?start=1&action=3

Or just www.roadrecs.com

yay! thanks for the link :D ~i just came back from borders actually and picked up the afro celts cd, seed =) tis an interesting mix indeed.. spanish guitar with african music and a fiddle? who would have ever put the three together? oh yea, the afro celts..

so yea, thanks for the link.. so if i can't find what im looking for in the international section i have a nice place to go now =) and the shipping ain't too bad either =) nice!

thank you all so very very much =)
    ~beth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I don't think anyone said mic christopher ...

List of Irish bands/singers on the frames site
    Check out my friend anto yao's site (it was down last time i checked) he has a class song called illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hey Day and the guiness ad are here

hey thank you thank you, more good music, what can i say =) had a listen to the mary janes, which i enjoyed. thanks for pointing out the "links" page on the frames site, silly me didn't notice that when the group was first suggested to me.

thank you
    ~batch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the jimmy cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wirewool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

the tycho brahe are superb
    the tycho brahe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

forgot to mention waiting room from cork also!

www.waitingroomfun.com i think

Advertisement