Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking XP Pro with 2K Pro?

Options
  • 30-01-2004 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm having some problems with this. I normally use the wizard in XP and create a setup disk to run on the other machine but this won't work with Win2K. I'm trying to link just 2 machines together using a 10/100 hub and two patch cables.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking so be gentle. A link for complete dummies would be great.

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Does each one have an IP address?

Check by going to Start, run, type cmd and hit return for the prompt.
    Then type
    ipconfig
    and paste the results here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds like you are setting up ICS.
    ICS sounds like a good idea and I can't wait to try it when it comes out of beta :mad:

The pc the disks were made on should be 192.168.1.1
    The others should pick up the address via DHCP (automatically)
    All should be on the same workgroup.
    Built in Firewall will block pings.

All in all looking at the number of threads on XP networking it looks like (apart from installing drivers) windows for workgroups (3.11) was easier to get up and running

/RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

There is no reason what xp Pro wont talk to win2k, you just need to check a few things

1)Make sure both machines are on the same network.
    Start ->Settings ->network and Dialup
    Right click on local area netowk and choose properties
    Select Tcp/ip from the list, then click on properties
    Click on "use the following Ip addresses"
    (Machine 1)
    ip address: 10.1.1.100
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    (Machine 2)
    ip address: 10.1.1.101
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

This means that both machines are on the 10.1.1.0 network

2) Make sure the Internet connection firewall is off - you can re-enable it when your network is up and running.

3) from machine 1, open up the command prompt and type "ping 10.1.1.101". you should get a replay - then you know your machines are talking.

Once your at stage 3 then all you need to do is setup your shared drives/folders.

Hope that helps

Advertisement