Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal paste removal

• 30-01-2004 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to remove thermal paste from a cpu without damaging the cpu?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I used some WD40 and my bankcard last time I needed to do that.. done the job quite well... (just a small bit of the former obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Kali
    I used some WD40 and my bankcard last time I needed to do that.. done the job quite well... (just a small bit of the former obviously).

WD40 is Oil based is it not? Any Oil cleaner will leave residue. I use Acetone (aka generic Nail Polish Remover). Its not oil based and evaporates, leaving the surface clean. Acetone has been known to melt some plastics, and many people refuse to use it on motherboards "just in case", but I can confirm that after using it for 4+ years, Ive never seen it damage anything within a PC.

Its cheap and readily available too (as unbranded Nail polish remover).

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Isopropyol alchahol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Thanks for the replies. The nail polish remover did the trick :)

Advertisement