Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"In response to"

Options
  • 30-01-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Just a little test.
    The next time Israel is attacked (be it civilians, soldiers, settlers...etc) I'd like to see if anyone can find an instance of BBC News, RTE, ITV or Sky use the words "in response to" immediately afterward.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by sovtek
    Just a little test.
    The next time Israel is attacked (be it civilians, soldiers, settlers...etc) I'd like to see if anyone can find an instance of BBC News, RTE, ITV or Sky use the words "in response to" immediately afterward.
    Thanks

"In response to"
    or
    "in revenge for......."
    or
    in retaliation for......"

Same thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Kananga
    "In response to"
    or
    "in revenge for......."
    or
    in retaliation for......"

Same thing really.

In reality, yes they are the same thing. I'm looking particularly for the phrase "in response to" though because what it suggests (in an Orwellian way) is something altogether different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Are you trying to demonstrate the fact that the news channels always portray the Palastinian attacks as unprovoked, and the Israeli attacks as "in response to..." something? Or am I missing the point altogether?

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Are you trying to demonstrate the fact that the news channels always portray the Palastinian attacks as unprovoked, and the Israeli attacks as "in response to..." something? Or am I missing the point altogether?

No you have hit it right on the head. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

all the Israel attacks get the same treatment - from the bbc
    Israeli troops have made an incursion into the West Bank town of Bethlehem for the first time in about six months.

The raid follows Thursday's suicide bomb attack in Jerusalem which killed 10 people and wounded 50 others.

Palestinian residents say that just before dawn on Friday, about 15 armoured vehicles moved into Bethlehem.

"The operation was launched after we made clear the Palestinians had not fulfilled their obligations to stop terror, something which was made clear in yesterday's [Thursday's] bombing," an army spokeswoman said.

both side used what ever happend in the past as an excuse for whatever acts of wickedness that they commit today

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ping Chow Chi
    all the Israel attacks get the same treatment - from the bbc
    both side used what ever happend in the past as an excuse for whatever acts of wickedness that they commit today

I don't disagree about the excuses made. My point is about how the media portrays it.
    When I was watching lunchtime BBC New today I distinctly remember the words "apparently in response to" a suicide bombing when refering to the Israeli incursions today. Of course I also remember Israeli's killing teenagers last week. I wonder what that was in response to, throwing rocks?
    I also heard Sky refer to the Israeli incursions today as "in response to".

Advertisement