Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external hd - opinions of Lacie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

what a ugly white box :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

There as good as any external drives. I might have found it cheaper somewhere else, the link is on my other machine. I'll post it here tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

www.computeruniverse.net have a good selection at good prices, worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

you are beter off to get a hd case and a hard drive, komplett have them, cases->cs+hd cases, they have 2 types datafab and some other make e-magic i think and then throw a normal hd into it, i have one and works great and can take out hd and plug into pc if neccary and hd is swappage if you want a bigger external hd or smaller etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Go for the maxtor one touch drive on komplett atm. It's an amazing drive. usb2/fireware. There are diff sizes to suit and diff speeds. The 300Gb one is 5400rpm but transfer speeds are the same (amazing) speed for all drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Thanks
    I think i'll go for the firewire Lacie one. Firewire lets you daisychain them easily if needed. I considered the option of a HD + casing but it's almost the same price and the cases don't look as nice ! - ugly white box - designed by Porsche they are :D
    and I don't think i will need to put the HD into a PC - I can just buy another HD in a years time if I need to and it will hopefully be even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Go for the maxtor one touch drive on komplett atm. It's an amazing drive. usb2/fireware. There are diff sizes to suit and diff speeds.

I have the 160 drive and have had nothing but problems with it. However its just one machine so i cant judge them all the same,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by silverside
    Thanks
    I think i'll go for the firewire Lacie one. Firewire lets you daisychain them easily if needed. I considered the option of a HD + casing but it's almost the same price and the cases don't look as nice ! - ugly white box - designed by Porsche they are :D
    and I don't think i will need to put the HD into a PC - I can just buy another HD in a years time if I need to and it will hopefully be even cheaper.

Thats the conclusion I cam to aswell. Though I had a HD fom another machine free so I just used that and bought an external casing from maplins for €64. If I hadn't had that I would have bought the 160 P3 one. Though personally I don't think its much of a looker, even its designed by porsche. I went with USB2 because more machines will have a USB port than they will have a firewire one.

Originally posted by Figment
    I have the 160 drive and have had nothing but problems with it. However its just one machine so i cant judge them all the same,

I've got the 300Gb one and have had it on many machines on both usb and firewire. Only problem I've had was window couldnt auto install the firewire panel. Disk I think has that. Firewall worked a charm still giving even better speeds then usb was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

my current laptop doesn't actually have USB 2 so that plus the daisychaining is why i'm going for firewire.

I have read negative reviews of the Maxtor drive as well, can't remember where (amazon or dealtime or somewhere like that).

the maxtor has firewire and daisy chaining on it. I use the firewire on my laptop and usb2 on my desktops. The drive is sweet espec as a backup drive. One touch on the button and it can be set to auto backup anything really.
    The drive looks sweet too. Silver with blue light on the button. Fits exactly in my colours on my pc currently which another reason I got it.

Advertisement