Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discs that play and then dont?

• 30-01-2004 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

My brother has a Panasonic SCHT-80 all in one and he got it chipped about 2 years ago, he is having problems with some discs from various regions, when he puts the disc in it wont read? open the drawer and when it closes the disc reads? he was told that the laser could be on the way out, this sound logical? DVD-5 disc no problem or Region Free, But if its DVD-18 or similar the machine wont play it and displays a message saying " This type of disc cant be played", but if he opens and closes the drawer a number of times it plays? Does this sound like a faulty laser or the mod chip is faulty? This happens mainly on R1 or R2 discs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Did he try a cleaning disk?
    It could be dust on the lens if this is not consistent and works after opening, closing the drawer.

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I have a pritty old panasonic DVD HS system. Which seamed to pick and choose which discs it wold play.

Brought it to a Audio/visual centre and he said all it needed was a "service". Works great now.

BTW i tried a laser cleaning disc, which didnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MickahB

Yep, he tried cleaners on the lens, but still no avail. It seems to pick and choose when to play something, but it seems to be the discs which contain more info encoded. He bought The Goonies R1 put it in, wouldnt play. Tried it the next day and viola played first time? All his discs work perfect on his Black Diamond multi region player. Any where he could leave it to be serviced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

My old panasonic drive used to do the same thing so i just took the cover off and cleaned the lens with isopropyl alcohol havent had any trouple since seems to be a thin layer of lubricating oil on the lens which never mattered till some dust stuck to it
    Pete

Advertisement