Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who got the best buy??

• 30-01-2004 5:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

well transfers done and dusted for the big three
    parker to chelsea
    reyes to arsenal
    saha to utd

will be very interesting how they will pan out over the remainder of the season!

well which one do you think is best!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004042163_2,00.html

the sun thinks its reyes
    so do I :)

Which one was the best buy? 40 votes

Parker
    0% 0 votes
    Reyes
    37% 15 votes
    Saha
    62% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

sorry not mid table mediocre talk here
    and that includes the pool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I reckon the purchase of cheyrou :) seeing as he only came good during the transfer window:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

excellent. Im going for the underdog Louis Saha because i think he will be brilliant.

Glad he is underdog too...he couldnt get a lower rating compared to the other too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reyes > Parker > Saha

• Advertisement

Saha will obviously top the poll though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by kaids
    Saha will obviously top the poll though

really ? i wonder why ??? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I believe in the Value for money stakes Parker to Chelsea is the top transfer of those 3 but the best transfer in the window to date is Solano to Villa which may change if Carr goes to Newcastle depending on the fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! the best transfer was Carl Cort to Wolves!

Okay it was Reyes...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Ha! the best transfer was Carl Cort to Wolves!
    I'd like to see him doing well and wolves staying up. I think the best transfer window signing was Solano, but out of the big three I'd have to go for Reyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Solano to Villa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Gotta be Reyes. Full international at 20. The other 2 cant say that

Im really looking forward to seeing Reyes...will he be playing this weekend?

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Im really looking forward to seeing Reyes...will he be playing this weekend?

Hes cleared to play by the spanish FA. Weather Wenger will is another matter.

Prob Start as a sub

Yeah he's been cleared to play, Wenger has said he'll probably make an appearance in the game, though he may not start.

I don't think Wenger will make any changes to the starting 11 (if ain't broke, don't fix it), but i reckon he'll bring on Reyes for Bergkamp or Ljungberg at some stage. Vieira is suspended so i suspect it'll be Edu/Gilberto in the centre.

Probably:
    Lehmann, Toure, Campbell, Cygan, Cole, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Edu, Pires, Henry, Bergkamp
    Subs: Stack, Lauren, Clichy, Parlour, Reyes

I wouldn't be surprised if Toure partners Campbell in the centre of defence though, i'm sure Wenger will be wary of Anelka's pace. At the other end i'd love to see Freddie playing as striker with Henry at some stage in the game, with Pires and Reyes interchangeable on the wings. I reckon he'd work well up there, he makes great runs and is a good finisher.

Probably:
    Lehmann, Toure, Campbell, Cygan, Cole, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Edu, Pires, Henry, Bergkamp
    Subs: Stack, Lauren, Clichy, Parlour, Reyes

Id say it'll be kolo and campbell. Lauren on the right. Clichy to replace cole? hes got competition there.

He might play pires in the centre with silva with reyes and Ljungberg on the flanks :D

BTW anyone know what number Reyes got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont know much about Parker, but I'd say Reyes is the better buy than Saha.
    However if you take money into consideration its a lot closer, I dont think Reyes is worth 20 mill, then again I dont think Saha is worth over 5 mil so :)

----

Did anyone find out where Arsenal got the money for the buy yet?

I saw that Kliuvert is set to join at the end of the season, if they were selling Henry he'd be a great replacement.

Um, PHB - Arsenal only had to pay £6.9m this year for Reyes. They've to pay another £3.5m or so next year, and then up to another £6.5m over the following years depending on his performances, appearances etc.

I don't think Kluivert will join. He's not young anymore, he's lazy, his style of play wouldn't suit Arsenal and he'd probably want crazy wages. Most of the talk recently is of Trabelsi joining from Ajax during the summer on a free. Apparently Arsenal & Chelsea are watching him, and he said in an interview after an ANC game that he'd love to go to Arsenal.

Back on topic - Parker for £10m, Saha for £12m and Reyes for currently £10.5m - Reyes easily looks the best signing of the 3. Younger by a few years, with the most international caps, and wanted by the biggest clubs in europe. 2nd Parker - he's been fantastic for Charlton for some time now, looks to be a tremendous player. Finally, Saha has been in great form this season but essentially Utd have signed him on the basis of slightly over half a season. He was a complete non-entity last season. Has the appearance of a panic/rush buy by Fergie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Originally posted by jank
    sorry not mid table mediocre talk here
    and that includes the pool :D

in fairness solano is the best transfer of the last 18 months

Back on topic - Parker for £10m, Saha for £12m and Reyes for currently £10.5m - Reyes easily looks the best signing of the 3. Younger by a few years, with the most international caps, and wanted by the biggest clubs in Europe. ND Parker - he's been fantastic for Charlton for some time now, looks to be a tremendous player. Finally, Saha has been in great form this season but essentially Utd have signed him on the basis of slightly over half a season. He was a complete non-entity last season. Has the appearance of a panic/rush buy by Fergie.

Of the three Parker is the only one that has proved his ability consistanty in the prem which is the reason I voted him. Saha would be my second choice because as you say he has played will for half a season which is half a season more than Reyes and indicates that he is improving all the time. Ferguson has never made a rash buy and Saha was the player he really wanted so I would thrust his judgement.

From your own figures Arsenal have paid at least 17 Million for a young player who has never played in the premiership. I have not see him play so I can not comment on his abilities but the premiership is the toughest League in the world to play in as players are not afforded the time and protection they get in Italy and Spain so until he does set the prem alight which [he may well do] he is 17 million of a gamble IMHO.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Of the three Parker is the only one that has proved his ability consistanty in the prem which is the reason I voted him. Saha would be my second choice because as you say he has played will for half a season which is half a season more than Reyes and indicates that he is improving all the time. Ferguson has never made a rash buy and Saha was the player he really wanted so I would thrust his judgement.

From your own figures Arsenal have paid at least 17 Million for a young player who has never played in the premiership. I have not see him play so I can not comment on his abilities but the premiership is the toughest League in the world to play in as players are not afforded the time and protection they get in Italy and Spain so until he does set the prem alight which [he may well do] he is 17 million of a gamble IMHO.
    er...

Arsenal have paid £10.5m for Reyes, the maximum he'll cost is 17. If he is a flop and is sold off quickly he'll have cost Arsenal £10.5. If the same happens to Saha he'll have cost Utd £12m. As for protection, Reyes is the most fouled player in Spain. He's got the potential to become one of the best players in the world, something that can't really be said for the other two.

Saha is what, 26? and he's had half a good season in the premiership. That's too short a period to tell if a player is really improving or wether he's just in good form. I wonder if Ferguson had ever given Saha a second thought before August.

His hand held off the pitch, Reyes was let loose on it, where he continued to rip through defences. By 14 he had made a friendly appearance with the first team, as well as leading Sevilla to the European section of Nike's Under-15 Premier Cup, where he was top scorer and player of the tournament. When he made his competitive debut at 16, the offers were already rolling in.

But the family grip remained tight. When, at 18, his first girlfriend Virginia came round, she would watch television and leave at 10pm because José Antonio needed to sleep. The sacrifices were worth it. A member of the Spain team that won the Under-19 European Championship in 2002, Reyes exploded that season and was rewarded with a full cap last August. Now he is a regular in the national side.

"With the ball at his feet, he is the fastest player in Europe, quicker than Ryan Giggs," Soria says. "If you let him turn and go at you, you're dead." When Sevilla thrashed Real Madrid 4-1 this season, a bemused Zinedine Zidane asked if Reyes was "on a motorbike". No diver, he is the most fouled player in Spain.
    Excerpt from an article by Simon Talbot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I tend to disagree with most of the opinions here.

I think Saha was the best of the three because he'll start most matches and judging by his performance today vs Southampton there are good things to come. Because of this I believe hes the best value for money. Just my own opinion.

I think Parker is a great player but I can't see him playing too many games for Chelsea in the short-term and he'll probably be just a late cameo the majority of the time. In that respect I think its a lot and not great value as he won't get that much chance to show us his undoubted class.

Reyes is a fantastic prospect alright but I have my reservations about Spanish players performing abroad. Mendieta for example was terrible after he left valencia. Did nothing for Lazio at all. Hes an average player for Boro nowadays. Another example was Javi Moreno who was one of the hottest strikers in Europe when he played for Alaves. Did nothing in Italy and now he can't break into the Bolton team.

I hope I'm proved wrong on the Reyes thing but until he does the business I'm not going to rate him. Off the top of my head (and I'm sure someone will prove me wrong), I can't think of a top Spanish player doing the business abroad.

Just my two cents........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The best thing about Parker is that he can do a defensive job and an attacking job, he's a good passer too. He'll also speed up CFC's attacks something which has been lacking this season especially in home games. He doesn't have a bad shot on him either.:)

I'm going for Parker cause he's the one who knows the PL inside out. I have seen Reyes and he is a wonderful prospect but Frank Mclintock comparing him to Maradona is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Saha is only 24 i think and judding by his first start today i think he is going to be class, i allways prefered when we played 4-4-2 with cole and yorke and i hope saha can strike up a partnership with ruddy, Saha is a proven Finisher this season and i didnt know he was so damm fast ! oh and hes brillant in the air, so i picked Saha, dont know a thing about the arsenal player so i cant comment and i think its a bad move for Parker going to Chelsea, they have enough midfielders and he will prob be played out of postion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Only time can tell.

My money is on either Saha or Reyes. I think Parker is a terrific player but It's a poor decision by him to move to Chelsea. The competition is too strong for the central midfield positions. Lampard, Makeleli, Veron, Petit, Joe Cole, Geremi and now Parker.
    I saw that Kliuvert is set to join at the end of the season, if they were selling Henry he'd be a great replacement.

Come on. How could he be a great replacement. Henry is in the top three strikers in the world. He has it all. Speed, power, intellegience and he is a super finisher. the only thing he is average at is heading but he dosen't need that. All Kliuvert has is an attitude problem.

Actually I agree as a Man Utd fan I think he would be a great replacement. Anyway Henry is going nowhere.

By the way Saha is 25 and will be 26 in August. Nice debut for him though. Looking forward to seeing Reyes debut tomorrow if he does debut that is.
    Posted by Kaids
    Reyes is the most fouled player in Spain. He's got the potential to become one of the best players in the world, something that can't really be said for the other two.

Surely if he is this good he could evade tackles. He's probably your typical continental diver just like most of the Spanish and Portugese players

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RasTa
    Saha is only 24 i think and judding by his first start today i think he is going to be class, i allways prefered when we played 4-4-2 with cole and yorke and i hope saha can strike up a partnership with ruddy, Saha is a proven Finisher this season and i didnt know he was so damm fast ! oh and hes brillant in the air, so i picked Saha, dont know a thing about the arsenal player so i cant comment and i think its a bad move for Parker going to Chelsea, they have enough midfielders and he will prob be played out of postion

saha is 25 and capped at U21's level:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Henry_14
    saha is 25 and capped at U21's level:rolleyes:

And your point is...?

You think hes better than Henry to get ahead?

He will be a France regular this summer if he plays like he did today. As i said before i saw him for Utd. He will be brilliant for them. Hes got such brilliant potential. He will truly develop into a much better all round player with van nist, keane, scholes and the like by his side. No dobut about it.

A france regular? Are you taking the piss?

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    And your point is...?

thats crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I dont understand why this playing for the international team is such a big deal, surely on that basis forlan is better than saha or kanu better than jeffers....the point is they are all different players, surely they cant be compared on such a silly level as apperances for national sides. How many caps did Ian Harte have by the time he was 20??(cant tell u answer), he had a good 2/2 half seasons with leeds CL football and everything. By all accounts Arsenal have done well in getting Reyes, has he any champions league expierence? Im not trying to take a dig just curious cant be bothered googling, would imagine that is he has played 2/3 years at his old club he wouldnt have had a chance of CL football...

correct any wrong assumptions

john

Ps just had a thought or previous france regulars

Wiltord, Guivarch(Sunderlands finest), BC's Dugarry ...Im sure theres other ones who are equally as good...perhaps the manager made a mistake in not choosin saha for france? French managers have a habit of fallin out with good players (Cantona/Ginola)...

Do you not think it would be easier to get on the say ireland or nigerian squad than it would be the spanish or french?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

As i said ages ago, I think the french team would be particularly difficult to get into, especially in that position, I would presume Trezeguet & Terry Henry up front.

As the official Reyes fan club can you answer my CL question?

And it would not be equally hard to get into the spanish squad.

As a member of the fan club i would be more than happy to answer your question it is as follows:

No.

And as a Man U fan i presume you know saha hasnt either??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

Hard to tell long term but surely Saha is the player who will provide an immediate return on investment as he's bound to be a regular in the Utd team.
    Parker will be lucky to start every second game for Chelsea and will more than likely just be used to give Lampard a break or as cover for injuries/suspensions while no matter how good Reyes is, there is bound to be a settling in period as he adjusts to the pace of the premiership. Shame about the ban 'cos City would probably have been an ideal baptism for him.

Dave O Leary must be still laughing at having got Solano for 1.5.
    First game today and although it was only Leicester, 5-0 away from home against anyone in the premiership is a damn fine result.
    Stick him in your fantasy football team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I hope Reyes falls on his head when playing Super City... me fears a 5-0 drubbing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

The fact Saha has only been capped at U-21 level shouldn't have any bearing on people's judgement. He is certainly a better player than the likes of Wiltord imo and deserves a place more in the squad than him.

I think the French coach doesn't want to mix up the side too much and wants it to be a kinda close-knit thing which makes it all the more harder to break in. If he does the business at Utd though it will be hard to keep him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Henry_14
    Do you not think it would be easier to get on the say ireland or nigerian squad than it would be the spanish or french?

I agree wit France. It is much harder to break into the French team than it would be to break into the Irish team.

However the Jury is out about Spain. They have got to be one of the most overrated teams in the World. They have got some fantastic Individuals like Raul, but as a team they are crap. Ireland almost beat them in the world cup remember. They have never won anything and in the last four major competitions the furthest they have got is to a Quarter Final.
    Posted by Henry_14

As a member of the fan club i would be more than happy to answer your question it is as follows:

Do you want some kind of award for being a member of a fan club?

I don't get it. Reyes and Saha are quality strikers by all accounts . Parker is the nearest thing to a modern day Roy Keane available . While there are quite a few quality strikers about we all know there is only one Keano.

What I do find amusing about this thread is the very people who said United had made a massive gamble on an unproven player in signing Christiano Ronaldo for £12 million are the ones saying £20 million for Reyes is the bargain of the season. Is that hypocrisy or what?

We'll find out the bargain of the season come May. Sir Bobby wasn't very wise selling Solano and he's a bloody decent wideman, what are they going to do? play the orc from Lord of the rings (Bowyer) on right.:)
    The interesting thing about Ronaldo is some of the fans were creaming themselves after his debut and then after The Soton game Kleberson Djemba Djemba and Ronaldo were being slated.
    Under guidance this guy can be something special: but you're expecting far too much from him.
    Regarding Reyes, Wenger has been pretty coy with transfer dealings with the exception of Wiltord and possibly Pascal Cygan.

:D

What I do find amusing about this thread is the very people who said United had made a massive gamble on an unproven player in signing Christiano Ronaldo for £12 million are the ones saying £20 million for Reyes is the bargain of the season. Is that hypocrisy or what?
    Who is saying its the bargain of the season?

Continually claiming that he cost £20 million when it has been publically announced that he cost half that is only making you look like an idiot, btw.

What was the exact overall cost? First of all I heard it was 20 mil, then 10.5 and now I'm hearing its 7.5.

£6.9m this financial year, £3.6m the next financial year and then depending on performances, appearances etc another £6.5m MAY be paid at some stage in the future.

// edit, 6.5 at some stage in the future

The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable immediately. Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year.

Bit confusing

[

£6.9m this financial year, £3.6m the next financial year and then depending on performances, appearances etc another £6.5m MAY be paid at some stage in the future.

// edit, 6.5 at some stage in the future

6.5 +

Is my maths wrong or are you one of these people who the buy now pay nothing until next year advertisments are aimed at. I often wondered who fell for them. Those are your figures but as you can see from the links below the figure has been quoted as anything from €35 Million down to £7 Million. As Arsenal insisted on confidential on the actual deal all these figures are just speculation. The best guidance I have seen is his old manager saying he was sold for more than Beckham went to Real, which was £25 million. Does it make sense to you that his old club would sell him for 10 million if he is the world class talent that commentators suggest he is?

link1

link2

link3

Continually claiming that he cost £20 million when it has been publically announced that he cost half that is only making you look like an idiot, btw.

BTW i,m not the only saying he cost 20M. Have you the inside track at Highbury that make you so ignorantly and arrogantly sure your figures are right? If not who is the idiot?

[

6.5 +

Is my maths wrong or are you one of these people who the buy now pay nothing until next year adds are aimed at. I often wondered who went for them. Those are your figures but as you can see from the links below the figure has been quoted as anything from €35 Million down to £7 Million. As Arsenal insisted on confidential on the actual deal all these figures are just speculation. The best guidance I have seen is his old manager saying he was sold for more than Beckham went to Real, which was £25 million. Does it make sense to you that his old club would sell him for 10 million if he is the world class talent that commentators suggest he is?

link1

link2

link3

BTW i,m not the only saying he cost 20M. Have you the inside track at Highbury that make you so ignorantly and arrogantly sure your figures are right? If not who is the idiot?
    Seriously muppet, are you losing it? I realise you thrive on rumours and hearsay that suit your rose-tinted viewpoint but come on.

1) It's not certain that Arsenal will have to pay £17m for him. It's only certain they'll have to pay £10.5m. Your maths isn't wrong but you're doing the wrong sum. The 6.5 at the end isn't there yet.

2) The best guidance i have seen is the OFFICIAL announcement made by the Arsenal board of directors about how much it will cost.
    Arsenal Holdings plc confirms that its subsidiary Arsenal Football Club has signed Spanish international José Antonio Reyes from Sevilla Futbol Clube on a four and half year contract; completion of the transfer is subject to the player undergoing a medical and his registration with the FA and the FA Premier League.

The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable (75 apps) immediately. £6.9m Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year.

The directors of Arsenal Holdings plc take full responsibility for the contents of this announcement.

Seriously muppet, are you losing it? I realise you thrive on rumours and hearsay that suit your rose-tinted viewpoint but come on.

1) It's not certain that Arsenal will have to pay £17m for him. It's only certain they'll have to pay £10.5m. Your maths isn't wrong but you're doing the wrong sum. The 6.5 at the end isn't there yet.

2) The best guidance i have seen is the OFFICIAL announcement made by the Arsenal board of directors about how much it will cost.
    [Arsenal Holdings plc confirms that its subsidiary Arsenal Football Club has signed Spanish international José Antonio Reyes from Sevilla Futbol Clube on a four and half year contract; completion of the transfer is subject to the player undergoing a medical and his registration with the FA and the FA Premier League.

The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable (75 apps) immediately. £6.9m Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year.

The directors of Arsenal Holdings plc take full responsibility for the contents of this announcement.

SO according to the Arsenal Board it's 10.5 million now and 9.5 million after a certain number of appearances. They must be IDIOTS too because that adds up to £20 Million and that can't be true because you said they are only paying 17 million.

Most Transfer deasl are structured in a way that it is not a once off payment with payments kicking in at various future stages , That does not alter the fact that the fee agreed for Reyes is £20 Million.

If he,s a flop like Kanu or Wiltord for example Arsenal may try sell him if they can find a buyer and not have to pay the full price but the again if on the other hand the pundits are right and he sets the place alight well then Arsenal may indeed have to pay 20 million for him and not 17 million as you say.

Who looks like the Idiot now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement