Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who got the best buy??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I don't get it. Reyes and Saha are quality strikers by all accounts . Parker is the nearest thing to a modern day Roy Keane available . While there are quite a few quality strikers about we all know there is only one Keano.

What I do find amusing about this thread is the very people who said United had made a massive gamble on an unproven player in signing Christiano Ronaldo for £12 million are the ones saying £20 million for Reyes is the bargain of the season. Is that hypocrisy or what?

no because lots of us have seen reyes with sky showing spanish football where as harly any1 follows the portugeuse league(in depth , not just a round up of results ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I agree with Muppet you generally take the overall figure. Man Utd didn't pay 30 million to Leeds straight away as we saw this week when they paid off a portion of the remainder to help them out but still people call him a £30 million signing from day one.

Same can be said of a number of other players but they may never reach the actual price. Hadji is down on websites as a 2.4 million signing but 750,000 of that won't go to Coventry unless he plays another game for Villa. See what I mean?

I think Reyes will go on to cost them the 20 million or whatever it is as he is surely on a long term contract and hes young so I think its only a matter of time before he costs that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SO according to the Arsenal Board it's 10.5 million now and 9.5 million after a certain number of appearances. They must be IDIOTS too because that adds up to £20 Million and that can't be true because you said they are only paying 17 million.

Most Transfer deasl are structured in a way that it is not a once off payment with payments kicking in at various future stages , That does not alter the fact that the fee agreed for Reyes is £20 Million.

If he,s a flop like Kanu or Wiltord for example Arsenal may try sell him if they can find a buyer and not have to pay the full price but the again if on the other hand the pundits are right and he sets the place alight well then Arsenal may indeed have to pay 20 million for him and not 17 million as you say.

Who looks like the Idiot now?
    hahaha, YOU. The 9.5m is in EURO. That means the max paid is 17 million pounds STERLING. durrr.

The later payments aren't fixed structured payments. They are dependant on stuff like international caps etc, which he may never reach. Arsenal might never have to pay another penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by kaids
    hahaha, YOU. The 9.5m is in EURO. That means the max paid is 17 million pounds STERLING. durrr.

The later payments aren't fixed structured payments. They are dependant on stuff like international caps etc, which he may never reach. Arsenal might never have to pay another penny.

Yep 75 caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Wait and see who has bught best I guess. United needed a striker, as did Arsenal. I think Chelsea are just buying for the sake of it, maybe cover for veron, altohugh dont think they really need it. As for international appearences coming into the judging, i think thats just silly talk. United could do with another centre half, judging on the preformance of the Brown Silvestre comobo on the w/e. I think Arsenal need another centre half too, maybe they might regret not spending their money on that later on this season/ next season.

john

Originally posted by johnor
    I think Arsenal need another centre half too, maybe they might regret not spending their money on that later on this season/ next season.

john
    I dunno, i think it depends on what Wenger has planned for Toure. He was a rock at CB today with Campbell, and if he stays there then they've got Cygan, Keown (not for much longer presumeably) and Senderos in reserve. Clichy looks pretty flexible too (oo er).

Lauren is a slight weak link at RB though, if Kolo becomes Arsenal's long term RB then i agree another CB will be needed, at least until Senderos (possibly) matures. However, Hoyte seems highly rated by Wenger and might replace Lauren leaving CB duties to Kolo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Surely if he is this good he could evade tackles. He's probably your typical continental diver just like most of the Spanish and Portugese players

no thats just c ronaldo!
    Who looks like the Idiot now?

you really know how to dig your own hole muppet lol :)

the seville club president said he cost more than beckham becuase the fans were going crazy in spain calling them traitors etc etc!
    trying to cover his back really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Spanish players in England are notoriously inconsistent. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What is it with Arsenal and their supporters ??? They seem to be nit picking just looking for an argument !!!

the point james-r made is valid, no club pays the full asking price up front for a player.
    you really know how to dig your own hole muppet lol

You would know all about holes Jank, you seem to have a lot of problems with them eh?;)

Tinky

• Advertisement

You would know all about holes Jank, you seem to have a lot of problems with them eh

whatever that means?:rolleyes:
    are you implying that im a coal miner or something or are you just trolling again??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by tinky
    What is it with Arsenal and their supporters ??? They seem to be nit picking just looking for an argument !!!

the point james-r made is valid, no club pays the full asking price up front for a player.

You would know all about holes Jank, you seem to have a lot of problems with them eh?;)

Tinky

:D:D:D:D:D

Big Fingers syndrome I'd say.It Can't be anything else

On topic while Arsenal have announce what they are giving the club there is no mention of the payments to Agents of signing on fee for the player himself. The spanish papers are quoting a figure around €30 m Euro as the deal.

BTW jank as you know I have been ignoring your crap for a while now but Its ironic you praching about digging into holes. Need i remind you of THe Picture thread in Humanaties.

Did the knock come to your door YET?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Good lordy, some people are blind. I guarantee most people who voted Reyes have never seen him play, the at least 90% of people who voted Saha are Utd fans, and the rest of the people know their stuff. To pay twice as much for Reyes than Ranieri paid for Parker is a joke. But Scotty will have the last laugh.

Also quite interesting to see that the votes roughly represented the value of the transfers. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

i agree with mr joe soap. All these polls are a load of bollox. At least have them at the end of the season...when they have all been in the premiership for some time with their new clubs and playing week in week out. ****s sake.

Big Fingers syndrome I'd say.It Can't be anything else
    is that supposed to be funny and make sense if so hahaha

On topic while Arsenal have announce what they are giving the club there is no mention of the payments to Agents of signing on fee for the player himself. The spanish papers are quoting a figure around €30 m Euro as the deal.

spanish papers also quote that beckham is flaing all around him but it doesnt mean its true! The spanish papers are even worse than the uk for truth even you should know that since you work in media!

BTW jank as you know I have been ignoring your crap for a while now but Its ironic you praching about digging into holes. Need i remind you of THe Picture thread in Humanaties.
    oh that thread that only you keep alive is it!
    yea i cry myself to sleep everynight waiting for that knock along with every other would be paedophile out there:rolleyes:
    but as i said before i always wanted to be an eunuch;)

at the end of the day all will do well imo saha will score goals, parker will get to be a better player and reyes will turn out to be a world beater, all fairly good buys but reyes has the potential to be world class like henry or pires soemthing you cant really say about the other two
    it also marks arsenal's ambition to be top world class club in the future in line with the likes of ac milan, real madrid
    roll on the CL

ps shouldnt you be banned for trolling/flaming for bringing topics out side of soccer into this forum!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Jank

all fairly good buys but reyes has the potential to be world class like henry or pires soemthing you cant really say about the other two

Theres that ugly word again Potential. Potential means nothing. I have the potential to do some work this week, doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

Its hard to say that one player has potential to become a world class player and the other 2 don't. All three have the 'Potential' and to be honest I think that Scott Parker has the best chance of the three to become world class. He may not have the flair or fancy haircuts but he has the ability and the drive which is most important.

'Hard work will beat excellence if excellence doesn't work hard'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jank

ps shouldnt you be banned for trolling/flaming for bringing topics out side of soccer into this forum!?

:D

I only referenced a post on the board to back up my point theres no rule broken there..

BTW I heard they are going in alphabetical Order. They are on K's at the moment. You know what that means ;)

I only referenced a post on the board to back up my point theres no rule broken there..

eh what point were you trying to make again...?:rolleyes:
    BTW I heard they are going in alphabetical Order. They are on K's at the moment. You know what that means

yea snip snip time;)
    :rolleyes:
    this is a SOCCER forum muppet not a place to try a rise someone
    and to think your a father!

ps. to admin sorry for going off topic

Will you 2 guys get a room.

at the end of the day all will do well imo saha will score goals, parker will get to be a better player and reyes will turn out to be a world beater, all fairly good buys but reyes has the potential to be world class like henry or pires soemthing you cant really say about the other two
    it also marks arsenal's ambition to be top world class club in the future in line with the likes of ac milan, real madrid
    roll on the CL

Look you just cant say that. Thats wrong. Its uninformed bull**** talk. Why doesnt Parker have the potential to be a world beater? Same with Saha? Why dont they? There not old...who are you to say it cant be said? your clearly brownnosing Reyes to the extent that your head is now in his stomach looking around talking ****. Dont get carried away. Arsenal are not a patch on Man Utd in Europe and Man Utd arent a patch on Real Madrid(from last seasons matches). Arsenal are so so far off the mark from being up there, the mark can not even be seen. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Look you just cant say that. Thats wrong. Its uninformed bull**** talk. Why doesnt Parker have the potential to be a world beater? Same with Saha? Why dont they? There not old...who are you to say it cant be said? your clearly brownnosing Reyes to the extent that your head is now in his stomach looking around talking ****. Dont get carried away. Arsenal are not a patch on Man Utd in Europe and Man Utd arent a patch on Real Madrid(from last seasons matches). Arsenal are so so far off the mark from being up there, the mark can not even be seen. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You sir are a _______*

*Insert comment here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

looks like Henry_14 cannot reply to a valid point :D

His post's just piss me off. Especially after seeing "Dont be so hard on c.Ronaldo"
    FFS.

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    Good lordy, some people are blind.
    To pay twice as much for Reyes than Ranieri paid for Parker is a joke.
    Yes, you i think.

Originally posted by Henry_14
    His post's just piss me off. Especially after seeing "Dont be so hard on c.Ronaldo"
    FFS.

Swallow it. Arsenal are no way near being a top european team.

They were saying the same thing about Man Utd not too long ago

Arsenal are not a patch on Man Utd in Europe and Man Utd arent a patch on Real Madrid(from last seasons matches). Arsenal are so so far off the mark from being up there, the mark can not even be seen.

thats what i said earlier and im sticking to it cos its true.

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Swallow it. Arsenal are no way near being a top european team.

Wait and see. Everyone wrote them off in the champions league when the had like a point from 3 games. But wait they finished top?:eek:

5-1 triumph over Milan at home. Wierd that.

Oh and saha is a bit old to become a world beater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I wouldn't get wet over one good result which lets face it only was so big because Inter threw players forward at 2-1. I'm not knocking the result Arsenal did superb etc but it takes more than one game to make a top European side.

Also why can't Saha become a world beater? I'm not saying he will but why not? A change of club can make a hell of a difference. Henry was piss poor at Juventus, now I don't think theres a club in the world who wouldn't want him. It could be the same with Saha for all you know. And as for age, Baggio didn't hit the heights til his mid-20s, George Weah was in his late 20s and these are just 2 players who were voted world player of the year.

re: top... of all the thousands of teams in Europe, Arsenal are in the top 10 bracket... i'd consider that 'top'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Arsenal are not even close to the top 10 in Europe. How many games have they won in the last 3 champions leagues? With 2 games to go they were looking very close to being knocked out this year also, but for a late goal.

Arsenals fans memories is nearly as short as Wengers eyesite.:eek:

• Advertisement

Oh and saha is a bit old to become a world beater

The same could have been said about Teddy Sheringham before he Joined Man Utd and look how well he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The same could have been said about Teddy Sheringham before he Joined Man Utd and look how well he did.

He scored 32 goals during his time at united not forgetting that goal in the Champions League '99- 22 for Spurs and 7 so far this season for Portsmouth - not bad for a "bit old" player, Saha will do well once he settles in at United, he has the experience that age brings.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

STUPID POLL.

Solano is by far the best buy, Proven quality for 1.5 million!!!!!

Originally posted by kida
    Arsenal are not even close to the top 10 in Europe. How many games have they won in the last 3 champions leagues? With 2 games to go they were looking very close to being knocked out this year also, but for a late goal.

Arsenals fans memories is nearly as short as Wengers eyesite.:eek:
    No? Funny that they are in the top 8 of the draw then isn't it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Defoe.

well i cant account for transfers in the future can i now!:rolleyes:

as i said this poll is about the top 3 teams in the country

as i said this poll is about the top 3 teams in the country

The Poll Says "Who got the best buy"

It doesn't say who got the best out of the top 3 teams!!

So go roll your eyes somewhere because all 3 in your poll were bought at way too high prices.

Never said you could. I'm saying he was the best buy.

Originally posted by irish1
    The Poll Says "Who got the best buy"

It doesn't say who got the best out of the top 3 teams!!

So go roll your eyes somewhere because all 3 in your poll were bought at way too high prices.
    If you're going to be pedantic, it didn't say out of the premiership either. It was quite obviously out of the top three teams seeing as they were the only ones mentioned.

• Advertisement

If you're going to be pedantic, it didn't say out of the premiership either. It was quite obviously out of the top three teams seeing as they were the only ones mentioned.

It's quite obviously a Stupid Poll then aint it;)

No. As Chris Coleman said earlier on in the season, it's like Utd, Arse & Chelski are in a different league to the rest of the premiership. Nothing wrong with having a poll only relating to them. Now begone, lower-premiership peasants! :p

No. As Chris Coleman said earlier on in the season, it's like Utd, Arse & Chelski are in a different league to the rest of the premiership. Nothing wrong with having a poll only relating to them. Now begone, lower-premiership peasants! :p

LOL.

Anyway they all paid too much none of the above were good buys at those prices.

Salano for 1.5 million is a great buy. If Spurs get Paul Robinson for 2 million that will be another great buy, I would have thought Arsenal would have signed him.

Robinson seems very overrated to me, if he wasn't english nobody would give him a second thought

Robinson seems very overrated to me, if he wasn't english nobody would give him a second thought

Better than Lehman by a mile

its ok irish1, its ok...

• Advertisement

It's never ok!!!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Better than Lehman by a mile

More like two miles

Originally posted by DEG viper
    More like two miles

More like top of the Table??

Could be better do could be 5 or 6 points clear, I don't think you can argue Henry14 that Lehman is better than Robinson

More like second or third when the season is over and United win the title?? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement