Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Save?!?!

Options
  • 30-01-2004 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I am absolutely useless...I need to start saving has anyone got any favourite methods? Or just simple will power?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what i do is when i get money i stick in the bank. it's safe there because i have no ATM card and i don't like going up to the counter.

that said i've only 100 euros left from the money i saved up in the summer from working! but i did build a pc with the rest so it didn't go to waste.

if you find yourself not be able to save then your money has got to go into the bank and ask them can they not allow any cash flow from the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by I am MAN
    I am absolutely useless...I need to start saving has anyone got any favourite methods? Or just simple will power?

I recommend a notice account with a week/month notice period. It makes it harder for you to spend the cash unless you really need it

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Don't be too ambitious start off with a small amount every week or month, depending on how frequently you are paid, that you know you can definitely afford. It can be surprising how quickly it adds up. Make it a habbit. A standing order from your current account to savings account can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Try www.askaboutmoney.com for general advice about financial matters, it's irish focused and has some good faqs.

In general though I think yes, some will power is needed. Also as has been said, putting the money somewhere that its not immediately accessible. Finally it might be worth trying to put a budget together and figure out what you're actually spending your money on.

Good luck!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I also recommended AskAboutMoney.

Really though, make a regular habit out of it. Just take a fixed X amount from whatever you get per month and put it away FIRST. Better still do it by direct debit so eventually you don't even have to think about it. :) That way you will save consistently... month by month.... it's amazing how it builds up. If you going for 5 years or more (try making a regular contribution to someone like Quinn Life or Irish Life). Anyways... go to askaboutmoney and read the guide! Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try using a separate bank / credit union account to the one you use for everyday spending.

When spending, try to buy things that will save you money in the long run or mean you have somethign that will last several years, e.g. buy a computer instead of spending moeny on beer.

Advertisement