Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oxidised Paint job

Options
  • 30-01-2004 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

I have an old Saab 900 (red) and the paint job is oxidised ... I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods/products to restore the colour as it is now an orangey/pink colour.

I had tried T-Cut colour restorer but that only lasted about two weeks and heavy rains washed it off.

I had considered a respray but I believe they are around €1500 ??!! too prohibitive at that price.

Also - has anyone tried a respray themselves ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to suggest T-Cut it worked fine for me!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

hmmm .... how did you apply it ?

did you apply polish on top of the T Cut ?

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Not sure what you mean when you say the rain washed it off, was this something you applied and then buffed off?

To T-Cut the paint is to remove the top layer of paint (lots of elbow grease) which gets you down to a new original paint surface.

You can buy a buffer with a lambswool cover (Argos) to speed things up a bit.

Hope this helps.

Hard work is the only way! I used T-Cut twice (my arms nearly fell off!) on the whole car.

First I gave the car a damn good scrub with a standard cleaning agent (Clean Machine by Turtle Wax) then dried it. You could just drive to your local car wash! (but dont use a drive through).

Then applied 1 layer of T-Cut to an area using clean soft cloth buffing hard in cirular fashion as soon as the wax started to "dull", then I buffed that section down with a complety clean cloth.

A week later having done the car once I did it again!

After that its come up shiney every time its washed and waxed and we're about 6 months down the road.

If you want to spend a few bob you can get one of those
    buffing attachments for a drill. Much effort saved.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

Great, thanks ..

I've just had a look on the Argos site and they have cheap buffers (€25) so I'll get one of those and give it a shot when it's a bit drier.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Just a note to say when you use a wax or polish never use it in direct sunlight or even in warm weather. Pick
    a dull tepid sort of day (usually found here between
    Jan and Dec!).

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

maplins are doing a special on the buffers also (€25 IIRC)

Advertisement