Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router to share IBB internet connection?

• 30-01-2004 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm going to be getting an wireless internet connection off Irish Broadband (IBB) soon but want to share this connection to 2 computers at home over a home wireless network.

Would all broadband-wireless routers be suitable (connection to IBB will be via ethernet) and if so which manufacturers would be best? I would prefer a wireless router that did the 802-11G standard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

any broadband router will do the job for you.

I have a Linksys WRT54G. Quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

ditto no complaints with the same router. Although I did get a duff aerial with one of the linksys 54g pci cards i got.....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Thanks for the info. It looks like Elara are the only people selling Linksys at the moment so I'll probably buy off them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It looks like Elara are the only people selling Linksys at the moment

Peats had some of their stuff in stock today (Sat 31st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

try www.cpc.co.uk cheapest i found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I actually went with an SMC wireless modem in the end as it worked out quite cheap with Komplett. The only problem I'm having is it won't let me connect my 2 computers until I get my broadband connection. Hopefully thats not too far off from happening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 self_oppressed

so did the ppl who got wireless bb conections working have to configure your routers or was it just as simple as connecting the ethernet cbale to the modem, i had trouble with a belkin router i bought, just wounder of other routers just let you establish a network without configuring a load of isp stuff

im with eircom, anyone else got a wirelles network workin with em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by self_oppressed
    so did the ppl who got wireless bb conections working have to configure your routers or was it just as simple as connecting the ethernet cbale to the modem, i had trouble with a belkin router i bought, just wounder of other routers just let you establish a network without configuring a load of isp stuff

im with eircom, anyone else got a wirelles network workin with em?

for IBB (on my connection) you just specify your Ethernet adaptor with: IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS

for Eircom, if you use your own ADSL modem then you configure a bit more including your username, password, ADSL configuration (using PPPoE; VPI and VCI values) and DNS addresses, your IP is provided dynamically. if you use the supplied ADSL modem you may only have to apply your username and password (with their current Netopia modem)

you then configure the wireless AP/router (for admin, network and security set-up)

BrianG

Advertisement