Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Battery Problems

• 30-01-2004 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can't see this asked elsewhere, apologies if so.

I've a Compaq Presario laptop for just about a year now. I've reached a situation where I'm getting about 15 mins max. out of the battery before it dies. I use the laptop reguarly for academic work but not even daily.

Can you explain why this happened? If it's just bad luck that sucks! I thought I was aware of the concept of using Lith. I. batteries reasonably. i.e. I used to let it drop to a low amount when possible and then plug it in...although I did stuff like leave it plugged in overnight when defraggin etc.

Help! I don't wanna buy another and have the same prob. in 6 months. Why does it happen to a laptop and not a phone? My phone is on 24/7 for over a year and even Nokia's own car-charger charges the phone automatically even if it's nearly full - so I figured this thing of letting electronics de-charge and then recharging them again was just a nice guideline.

Someone went as far as telling me I should physically remove the battery when plugging in the laptop...and when it's plugged in I shouldn't turn it on! What the hell is that about?!!! :)

Any advice appreciated.

Bri.

P.S. I know there's a sticky post for this but any personal recommendations for buying compaq batteries? The price seems to vary alot...are generic options reliable enough? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I might be wrong but I heard that letting Lithium Ion batteries discharge fully is the worst possible thing you can do to them... Apparently the optimum usage pattern is to discharge them slightly (ie. not below 1/4 charge or so) and then recharge fully...

Read this somewhere, I was trying to find out how to take care of my iPod battery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I've the same concerns for my iPod which I have concluded that letting it drop is good but letting it get the apple logo is not.

Thing is, with the laptop I never religiously let it drop - infact I usually charged it before/as the 15% warning came up!Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Any chance of any other help? Please! :confused:

Advertisement