Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buyin ipod in china ?

• 30-01-2004 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

my friend is thinkin bout buyin an ipod soon.
    his dad is goin to china in a few weeks.
    could he buy an ipod over there for cheap?
    would it work over here (i know he'd probably have to get the world travel adapter kit)?
    how much (about) would it cost over there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

dude get a creative zen its much cheaper and better tbh ... plus theres a rummer goin around that the ipods lose there screen after 1 year :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

zen is a much much better item than the ipod. It's cheaper and supports more formats.
    In regards an ipod over here the only difference I would see is a different socket, They come with adapters for charging so you may need a diff one of them. Other than that it should work for as long as it chooses and sure then you can always bring it back within it's 12 month warrenty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I read in a magazine a few months ago that owing to small factories in the middle-east reproducing Creatives hardware, Creative are now producing units made of lower quality materials to compete with the pirated stuff! (while still producing their real stuff as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have been to China and sometimes the stuff is cheap and sometimes too cheap...lots of rip offs, examine what you are buying VERY closely ....
    A lot of it is regionalised .. i.e. all menus etc are in Chinese or Japanese ... you can get a lot of the stuff that is only supposed to be Japanese market (I bought a Aiwa walkman over there that is smaller than any I have seen since ..because it uses thin lead acid batteries (I kid you not) .. it can record has radio and external battery case for AAA's ..... it had radio presets for the bullet train ....and enormous radio scan range .... 82 to 110Mhz ... still use it now ocassionally)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

ahh right..
    so if somthin fu*ks up i suppose he can claim his warrenty, can he?
    plus i got an ipod... will the screen **** up in a year? is this true?
    my friends been usin it, and i think he was pressin on the buttons too hard or somthin, now it freezes occasionaly, gotta claim my warrenty soon (which isnt too bad cause its all scratched and hopefully they'll gimmee a new one :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Crimson
    dude get a creative zen its much cheaper and better tbh ... plus theres a rummer goin around that the ipods lose there screen after 1 year :dunno:

where the **** you heard that??

many people on these boards have the first gen ipod that a more than two years old and they havn't lost the screen and also you've not very descriptive, what do you mean they lose the screen, does it spout legs and go walkies and never return.

there are issues with the ipod battery depending on your usage.

the ipod battery isn't user-replaceable but you can send it away to apple to replace the battery for €99.

people say the battery is only good for 18 months but then again many boarders here have the first gen ipod which is over two years old and havn't had to replace the battery.

the zen is cheaper but is more bulkier my bro has one and it's like a brick compared to my ipod.

yea, i'd rather the ipod anyway, cause its far smaller and lighter..
    navigating it is cool too, with the sensor thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The sound is MUCH better from a Zen tho :)

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    the zen is cheaper but is more bulkier my bro has one and it's like a brick compared to my ipod.

Have you seen the zen? It's pretty much the same size as the ipod and as for weight? I've the 60GB one and it's same weight as my MD if not lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

People who say the zen is better... are jealous.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Have you seen the zen? It's pretty much the same size as the ipod and as for weight? I've the 60GB one and it's same weight as my MD if not lighter.

it's quite obivious i have since my brother has one.

right on man

lol.. id def prefer the ipod..
    so, how much would they cost in china ?

Originally posted by Flashman

:D

Yeah try the zen nx xtra. The new one. It just wont be beaten by the ipod or anything else. It has everything the ipod have except apple tunes which frankly I wouldnt use and then it's got everything the ipod is missing like the removable battery.

Advertisement