Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti spam program for outlook?

Options
  • 31-01-2004 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an anti spam program that will work with Outlook XP. God its bloody annoying to be getting 30 emails a day, full of American crap I dont want or need

if anyone knows of any good apps, plz do tell ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some useful links in here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I use Spambayes ... freeware bayesian filter, works a treat, but you'll need to supply it with a good few emails that are spam ...and a good few that are legitimate (this is how all bayesian filters work, you have to train the program to identify spam, once done it is really effective) ..... beware there are some spammers that send out emails that are almost completely made up of random words, they do this to reduce the effectiveness of bayesian filters ... if you see them, just delete them normally (dont mark them as spam)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I use Spambayes ... freeware bayesian filter, works a treat, but you'll need to supply it with a good few emails that are spam ...and a good few that are legitimate (this is how all bayesian filters work, you have to train the program to identify spam, once done it is really effective) ..... beware there are some spammers that send out emails that are almost completely made up of random words, they do this to reduce the effectiveness of bayesian filters ... if you see them, just delete them normally (dont mark them as spam)
    Just disable your AV program while installing it - renable again when installed. - only works with outlook 2000 or newer - not for 97/98

You end up with two folders - Junk and Suspect - and two buttons - Delete to mark junk mail and Recover to retreive an email marked by the program as junk. And it learns fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by daveirl
    I don't think you're right there, from my knowledge of Bayesian filters this won't have a negative input on the effectiveness of the filter, as other things are taken into account. The Bayesian analysis concentrates on the whole message not just the text and Spam often gives itself away long before you get to the actual content.
    You'd be right except the two i've seen kind of make sentences that contain words that would be used in a normal business environment (technical sentences and financial sentences) .... The actual spam part of the message was just a single line, with the crap mentioned above going on for 4 or 5 paragraphs .... just dont see this as being a method for getting past the filter, I've seen an article somewhere saying that it is to mangle peoples filters .... must have a scratch around again ... maybe it was on theinquirer.net ... cant remember :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement