Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perfect cirle going downhill

Options
  • 31-01-2004 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

A perfects Circle new album 13th step is utter ****e.

Their old one mer de noms is a ****ing work of art magdelena for eg/

just so annoying that their 2nd one is so bad

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think that 13th Step is in many ways superior.

I dig the underlying theme and the main thrust of what's being put forward. It's more of a concept-y album, railing against the neo-redemptionist notions and christianity by subterfuge that's generally attached to addiction treatment. There aren't so many standout songs that you'd just pick up on it, like Judith or 3 Libras on the first album but The Outsider, Pet and Weak & Powerless are all superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Christ... This is going to get the flaming started.

Personally didn't think 13th Step was as good as Mer De Noms myself, but it was still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I love it tbh! :) Love em both! :D And their cover of Failure's The Nurse Who Loved Me is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I started a very similar thread about 4 months ago - I've totally changed my mind though. Now I prefer 13th Step to Mer de Noms. Its one of those albums where you don't realise how good it is until you know all the songs off by heart. My advice to you would be to stick with it even though you don't like it - in the end, you'll end up believing its one of the best albums you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

doesnt get any better than Weak and Powerless and BLUE \!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think it's a fantastic album. it's a completely different vibe to that of mer de noms, but that makes it no worse. it's brilliant, much better production on it and the band actually sounds like a proper band now.

and as placebo said, blue and weak and powerless are two absolutely stunning songs!

It still lacked Paz's backing vocals and violin stuff though... I'll give you that!

Hope she comes back now that Zwan have split up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pet is such a great song..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I don't mean this in the obvious manner but the 13th Step isn't Mer De Noms. There two entirely different albums. You can see it picks up where Mer De Noms left off. Its a natural progression. I'd rather see a band develop in sound then just re release the same album cuz the first was so succesfull. I at first was dissapointed by it but I've learned to appreciate it and the genius in the production and writing of the album. I saw them live over the summer in a very small venue in the states and they are ****ing awesome. Billy howerdel is a wiz. Great sounds and sonic landscapes on the album. Everybody is entitled to there opinion but I don't think that saying the 13th Step is ****e is right!!!

Peace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by dabhoys
    sonic landscapes

:p

Just say "It Rocks!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Its different cuz it 4 lads,no Paz as an added touch of femininity
    So hence tiz darker,cuz lads are hardy GRrrrRRrr!
    :D

Originally posted by Cheez
    Its different cuz it 4 lads,no Paz as an added touch of femininity
    So hence tiz darker,cuz lads are hardy GRrrrRRrr!
    :D

I don't think I've ever heard such l33t prose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Hope she comes back now that Zwan have split up.

She is in Papa M now, which is hardly a bad thing.

I found Mer De Noms great and Thirteenth Step solid, but I certainally don't see them going downhill.
    Here's hoping they play here during this summers' festival circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Thirteenth step is a great album, tho to be honest i havent listened to it much at all, at least for not longer than about the first 4 or 5 songs.

If you want to talk about bands going downhill, i think Queens of the stone age have been on a much larger downward trajectory than APC. First album was amazing, the second had too many "wacky" bits, and if you ignore the hype around songs for the deaf, its decent, but overlong, not as good as its made out to be, and the first CD is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery

Here's hoping they play here during this summers' festival circuit.

im with u there
    both them AND the deftones were touring together which would be the greatest concert ever, but they completely ignored ireland.:( bastards

anywho, i didnt know paz did vocals on'mer de noms', is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hopefully they do play Ireland soon because they're being supported by Melissa Auf Der Maur, who I'd quite like to see live....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Hopefully they do play Ireland soon because they're being supported by Melissa Auf Der Maur, who I'd quite like to see live....
    Indeed, I've been listening to that Auf Der Maur album quite a bit the last few days and I heartily endorse this product or service.

Originally posted by CrazyTalk
    anywho, i didnt know paz did vocals on'mer de noms', is that true?

She did a lot of quality backing-vocals, plus she used her classical skills on violin and chello to great effect on Orestes, 3 Libras, and Rose. Come back Paz! We love you!

(We really do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

While i never really got to like Mer de Noms all that much, it was still far superior to 13th step. 13th step just seems like a bunch of half finished songs stuck together. There's no flow to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by mr_angry
    She did a lot of quality backing-vocals, plus she used her classical skills on violin and chello to great effect on Orestes, 3 Libras, and Rose. Come back Paz! We love you!

(We really do!)

I think its a bit of a trade off between Paz and Jeordie. Paz had some nice little orchestrations and stuff, (i love the end of Rose)but i think the bass in Mer de noms by and large was underproduced and didnt really stand out.
    However the bass on 13th step was much better produced, and a bit more vital to the songs (Standout tracks like weak and powerless wouldnt be half as good without the bass as it is). But yeah...i know which bassist id rather bone :(
    Come back Paz!! At least as a go go dancer or something..*L*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

My 2-cents.....

Perfect Circle suck.......!!!!!!!:mad:

BRING BACK TOOL!

Trev
    HD

www.20bullseach.com

Advertisement