Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spellcheck on boards.ie

Options
  • 31-01-2004 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

I was thinking would it be that hard to place a spell check at the bottom of your post that you are about to post

Ive seen them on other boards. It gives you the option to spell check before you click post. I would say it would be usefull here. I cant spell and i have senn other people camplaining about other people not spelling.

I would say it would be very usefull and probbley very easy to implement
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

We used to have a spellchecker a couple of years ago I believe, but I think the crowd that supplied the service started charging for it so it was dropped.

Personally I don't mind the odd spelling mistake or typo in people's posts. It's people that don't even seem to make the slightest effort to make their posts coherent at all that bug me. They just seem to bash at the keyboard and click submit.

Don't get me started on txt spk.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'd def appriciate a spell checker cause my spelling aint the best espec late at night. I'm sure there are other free alternatives available but I agree it's the people who seem to purposly misspell words and dont try that are the main problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

but what about the Grammer Police!*

*anal retentive twats

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

A spell checker would be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I find that i do tend to rush my posts quite allot. im always in a hurry, unless im bored like now running a nortan virus check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I agree. Some people on boards ned this reel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by User45701
    I find that i do tend to rush my posts quite allot. im always in a hurry, unless im bored like now running a nortan virus check.
    Even when you're not in a hurry, you've made 2 spelling mistakes. :)

Sounds like a good idea to me.

How about a spelling mod? Someone who can fix spelling mistakes in topic titles.... (one of my pet hates!) :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by TmB
    How about a spelling mod? Someone who can fix spelling mistakes in topic titles.... (one of my pet hates!) :)

- Dave.

Are you actually suggesting we have a group of Spelling Nazis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i do think that if a spellchecking thing was implemented on boards..people would just get very very lazy with their typing because they know the computer will do it for them..

it will be a disaster for typing skills all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

That solves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by SearrarD
    but what about the Grammer Police!*

Grammar Police.

I'll just get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

back in the car you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by TmB
    How about a spelling mod? Someone who can fix spelling mistakes in topic titles.... (one of my pet hates!)
    The person who starts the thread can edit the title, just PM them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whos' spelling standard would we use? I bet we'd end up using an American checker.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Over my cold blue-colored dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

"supercalafragilisticexpialodocious" is misspelled.
    Here are some suggestions:

superciliary

That spellcheck site doesn't have a good dictionary! I know thats a word...

On topic, here is a good discussion of a free spellchecker thats easily incorporated into a vBulletin forum.

Although I'd imagine if implemented here it would be underused, as spellchecking would take a long time on a 56k connection, and most of Ireland are still using those...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'm completely against this, people should make the effort to spell / learn how to spell, it'll be better for them in the long run and make them stop being such lazy bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

oh my god im back at school
    You don't see nokia putting spell checkers on phones.
    The idea of forums is to get messages across

fi i wroet leik tihs u wud stlil geddit

Keep spellcheckers for essays and emails to the boss.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

if you wrote like that i would automatically categorise you as an idiot. no offence tbh its just my automatic text speak blockage.

• Advertisement

my point is proved
    you understud what it said -
    in this case the message is of greater importance than the medium in which it is carried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

A spellcheck on boards would be as useful as a bottomless bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by egan007
    oh my god im back at school
    You don't see nokia putting spell checkers on phones.
    The idea of forums is to get messages across

Actually, nokia ,and any phone that has predictive text, DO have a spell checker. I guess ur 1 of d ppl hu tp lk dis on phns. w/e ur gy den.

The idea of forums is to get the message across, not torture people.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Actually, nokia ,and any phone that has predictive text, DO have a spell checker. I guess ur 1 of d ppl hu tp lk dis on phns. w/e ur gy den.

The idea of forums is to get the message across, not torture people.

It's amazing how pretentious people can sound on forums

I have predective text and don't abbreviate as you have shown that you are more than capable of. However you (and im not surprised) have completely missed my point

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Spellchecker? It's a superb idea. Frankly, I find some of the attempts at spelling here abhorrent. Grammar seems like a mythical concept. I can appreciate that some people are in a rush but, for crying out loud, is the concept of "your" and "you're" that difficult? It's not like we're boldly debating the use of the split infitive!

It's fine to have a few mistakes here and there, but half the posts here would fail even the most rudimentary of first class tests. It's all well and good saying it's the "message not the medium", but the medium itself speaks about your general ability to form coherent thoughts/arguments. It's particularly noticable in debating threads, but I'd like to see the option of "purer" posts throughout all the various boards.

Oh and, for what it's worth, I really do endure grammar police in my line of work and, as the months go by, I'm less tolerant of the dismissive attitude some posters seem to have towards the written word. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by egan007
    It's amazing how pretentious people can sound on forums

I have predective text and don't abbreviate as you have shown that you are more than capable of. However you (and im not surprised) have completely missed my point

Your point was twofold. Firstly that nokia phones dont have a spellchecker. They do.

Secondly that it doesnt matter how you communicate your idea, as long as you get it across. However, if that idea is communicated so badly as to be unreadable, then it will not get across. Another side effect (as demonstrated by crash) is that people will just not bother reading your post, so your point has noone to get across to. Is that so hard to understand?

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by Dustaz

Anything else?

Yesh. Nice hat mr clawz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how many would actually go to the bother of using one if one was added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'd make use of it espec late at night. But I think the people who cant spell at all will just not bother as it will be too much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    how many would actually go to the bother of using one if one was added
    Not enough probably :( How about we all pay a small fee to have someone proof read every post and edit all the major grammar and spelling mistakes? Or am I taking my pedanticism too far?

Advertisement