Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spellcheck on boards.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spell Chequer ;)

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Get one, so i dont have to read garbage from User again.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Try the ignore button Drake
    also if u notice i was the 1 who sugested the spell check

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi,

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it

deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod

are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and

lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a

total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey

lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

Teh Mueppt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Very interesting i was able to read that with no problem the only wrd i even had to think about for more than a second was rset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Yeah but the main problem with the people who make no attempt to spell is just that. If they had the first and last letters in place with the rest just mixed around we'd all be able read what they said but the messages tend to be quite unreadable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

How about learning to spell? And take your time while typing until you're GOOD?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Funky
    How about learning to spell? And take your time while typing until you're GOOD?
    I'd be worried if they didn't know how to spell already. All school kids surely learn the likes of: it's/its, their/they're, your/you're, et cetera. It should generally be something you don't have to think about. I mean we're not talking about getting perfect posts, or anything similiar. I don't really care if you say: "John and me went to the Boards Beer Bash" instead of "John and I" because subject/verb agreement can be tricky.

Seriously, how difficult is it to glance over a post for thirty seconds before hitting the Submit Reply button? Iron out any glaring errors? It would ease my poor soul and, judging by this thread, calm other posters as well...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

technically an unfeasibly large amount of work.... theres no Enable Spelling Checker option in the system. I'm not coding it in for people who wont use it anyway.

Interesting debate all the same...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

User 45701 if you're using windoz, Ispell is a handy freeware spellchecking proggy that imbeds into Internet explorer. Its available here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

How about an intoxication translator? Handy for those drunken posts that make very little or no sense in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

People seem to be too lazy to either:
    • Open Microsoft Word [or other text editors] and check the spelling there
    • Google for an online spelling tool and check it there
    • Ask users (or "real people") in MSN, IRC, Yahoo! etc. how to spell the word

I'd be against putting on it. You must do the work for yourself children, Boards.ie cannot be there to do everything for you. I do occasionally open word if I cannot get the word spelt correctly. Or if I cannot think of a word I use the "real people" option, it can be spooky talking to these "real people" but it does get easier with time.

Is there not going to be something in VB3 about spell checker or am I thinking of something else? It might just be the enhanced input thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by rymus
    How about an intoxication translator? Handy for those drunken posts that make very little or no sense in the morning.
    Based on what some people post when drunk, disabling [url] and [img]tags would be more important. :D[/img][/url]

Advertisement