Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Doors

Options
  • 31-01-2004 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good outfit that puts up garage doors in the Dublin area?

I mean a hardwood one, not the up and over metal rubbish !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any carpenter / joinery shop should be able to do the job. If you have a driveway, you will want them to open out (better use of space), but this won't be allowed by the council if the garage fronts directly onto a footpath. Also consider what type of locking mechanisms / security you want (are you parking car in garage?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Thanks Victor! I'm trying gently to eliminate some of the cowboys in the building business!

I was waiting for a "downturn " in Construction for the last two years --- a forlorn hope ! To get some quality work again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

You should try one of those Roller Doors, they're the biz. Plus installation time is under an hour! I replaced my rickety Up & over with one and I'm very happy with it

How do those Roller doors work? I have a hedge and things in the way if they open out sideways!

Are they wood or metal and any idea of price? The full wooden Garage Doors, that open out are running at approx. €3,000 (Dublin), which is pricey enough!

There are two basic types, one is basicly a roller shutter you would have in a shop, the other is segmental and move in rails, a little like a bread box cover.

I imagine both would be in the order of €2,000 for a typical garage, but very dependant on what you want.

Try Arthur Ring & Co. in Baldoyle, should give you a quote over the phone if you have the dimensions and you preference for a finish (typically, galvanised or colour powder coated.).

• Advertisement

Thanks, Victor I'll get on to this crowd and see what I can do!

They're not as expensive as you think. Mine cost about €500 (7' x 7' Door). I got it off a company from Cork. It's a PVC coated steel door which rolls up over the lentil(Spelling?).

Originally posted by GarGuile
    lentil(Spelling?).
    Lintol. Lentil is a bean or something :)

Yeah, I thought my spelling looked dodgy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

Try calling Hangar Doors. I bought my garage door from them and its excellent. They're nationwide I think. It was the best price I could get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

think after 4 years , he might have got sorted.!!!!!!!

secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Victor wrote: »
    Lintol. Lentil is a bean or something :)

Er, I think its spelled lintel :).

I have a roller garage door, PVC-coated steel, about 8' wide, 6' high, grand job, cost about €500. You would need a rebate in the floor to prevent draughts and about 2' clearance on the inside wall over the opening to mount the roller mechanism.

You can get heavier duty insulated roller doors as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

These guys are one of the original manufacturers of the 'up-and-over' style doors but also make a lot of different style roller doors. I got one of these and am very happy with it.

http://www.pchenderson.ie/garage_doors.php

secman wrote: »
    think after 4 years , he might have got sorted.!!!!!!!

secman

Dead on! I got it sorted a couple of years ago but still paid €2,500. Nice hardwood job though - I'm very pleased .

Interesting to see what I said about the construction industry back in '04 - makes good reading now:

- "I was waiting for a "downturn " in Construction for the last two years --- a forlorn hope ! To get some quality work again!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Without trying to do some blatent advertising, check this website out

http://www.amggaragedoors.com/

Can fit roller doors, sectional doors, industrial shutters and insulated doors

Advertisement