Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What modem does IOL Broadband package provide?

• 31-01-2004 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    What kind of modem is currently being supplied with the IOL Broadband home package?

Can it be connected straight to a hub so all computers can share the broadband connection, using the modem as a gateway? Or is it a USB modem where it would have to be connected directly to a PC, and other machines on the network could have to use that computer as a gateway.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

Well I signed up in October, don't think they've changed it since..

Zyxel Prestige 630 USB Modem. If you have a hub already then you'll probably need a router. Otherwise you could get a combined router/switch/modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by JohnCleary
    Hi folks,
    What kind of modem is currently being supplied with the IOL Broadband home package?
    According to this recent post IOL are now providing the Zyxel Prestige 623, which has ethernet and USB ports.
    Can it be connected straight to a hub so all computers can share the broadband connection, using the modem as a gateway?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Is it possible to use the usb port and the ethernet port at the same time? (long shot i know but twould save me the bother of buying a hub)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Truckle
    Is it possible to use the usb port and the ethernet port at the same time? (long shot i know but twould save me the bother of buying a hub)
    The box supports NAT and DHCP so I would assume that yes, you can do this. Search the forum for references to Prestige in the last moth or so, and see if anyone has made any mention of doing this with this box. (I know some people are doing it with the box oreillycom provide).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

I have done it with the Eircom Netopia, so presume it will be the same with IOL if they now provide a modem with USB and ethernet.

Esentziak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

i've just received my ZyXEL 623 as the USB one was causing a hell of a lot of trouble - piece of **** that it is :)

Anyway, it's a very nice piece of work, but it's a pity it doesn't have the built in switch that's awailable on other ones. either way, makes non-windows broadband so much easier

Daniel

Advertisement