Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadBand 3 Rock down ?

• 31-01-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I'm offline since friday afternoon apparently....
    Is it just me or is the 3 Rock transmitter down ?

Thx
    uteotw

Comments

ive been having a bit of down time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Im on the Ballycoolin transmitter & theres basically nothing happening since Sat(31th) morning. When i try to connect to a webpage it times out half loaded.

Im pinging the gateway & the dns fine but when i run a tracert it times out out-of-country. Im no network head so i havent a clue what this means but its a new problem to me for IBB. Usually 99% of the problems are the high site falling over.

Any other IBB people having the same problems or any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

On Siac,
    I did have some downtime earlier tonight for maybe 2 hours or so, web pages half loading etc. Seems to have improved since. Pings are back to normal now 30 - 70ms to some uk game servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm on the Guinness node, and it's been like dialup the last couple of days. Really slow. Wonder are they going to give us our money back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Since Sat mornin dl's have been at 10 k a sec, but funnily my ping has been unaffected. Im on 3rock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maiseydotes

Hi, I am on 3Rock, and have been down since Friday night. I have the Ripwave modem, and overall I have to say the service is getting worse. It seems to go down regularly at week-ends and there seems to be no support from Friday evening to Monday Morning. Is this satisfactory? Not to me. I hear there are to be changes to the availability of broadband soon...anyone know more on this? I can't get DSL Broadband here, so am left with whatever else is available. I seem to find myself paying for a service that I can only use maybe a couple of hours in the evening, but dropping connection, and spasmodically at weekends. I have DSL at work, and there is no comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by maiseydotes
    Hi, I am on 3Rock, and have been down since Friday night. I have the Ripwave modem,
    I'm also on Ripwave, and I've been up all weekend.

Barry O'Connell is the head of Customer Support in IBB. I have e-mailed him on several occasions if theres been an issue -

barry.oconnell@irishbroadband.ie.

Heres what he had to say about IBB providing support beyond 5.30 & at weekends -

"I do understand your opinion regarding our support hours. We are looking to extend our support hours in the near future and hope that you will bear with us until such time as we can put extended support hours in place."

Im going to keep mailing this guy every single time theres a problem anyway maybe its an idea for others to do likewise.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I will email and see what response I get.

I can't explain why I am down, that is why I came here to see if anyone else was.
    Glad you have had your connection all week-end :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I'm back online since this afternoon...

Possible reasons for taking the network down can be :
    - Network upgrade / maintenance
    - MyDoom viruses e.g. safety precaution to aviod IBB users to receive and send the viruses via IBB network

Anyway I guess every IBB customer would have appriciated a warning email.

I can "understand" if they don't have a phone support at night and at weekends but the fact they don't even reply to emails is quite disapointing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My connection hasn't gone down since last week, but this week, well since saturday afternoon the pings have dropped really low which is good for meh games but transfer rates on teh downloads suckáss atm averaging 10k :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the recent downtime was due to one of their main backhaul thingies breaking down, i.e. no bandwidth for anyone.

Its now fixed (at least it is on Tallaght).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Not acceptable from IBB!

Backhaul should always be protected and auto-switched on to a physically separate route.

Careful folks of the 'new kid on the block'- sounds like IBB are taking serious shortcuts to get customers fast and cash flow!

Criticise Eircom ---- but they do their network design properly in the first place.

Hmmm..........................:(

Hi Folks,

Monday night and I am still down. Emailed last night, still no reply. Phoned today at 4.45 got an answering machine, left a message no reply.....Hmmmmm

Not impressed..

their 01-*** number is not being answered, you have to ring the 1890 one.

I'm pretty surprised that your still down, i would have expected everything to be back by now.

And i was thinking, since so many towers went down at once, maybe it was just pure misfortune that thier backhaul thingy was hit at just the wrong place, killing everything, including a backup(if they had one). You never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Well they ought to answer their phone!

Or maybe even e-mail their customers and tell them what's going on ! Shouldn't be too hard should it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    And i was thinking, since so many towers went down at once, maybe it was just pure misfortune that thier backhaul thingy was hit at just the wrong place, killing everything, including a backup(if they had one). You never know.
    Everything wasn't down - my Ripwave service was available whenever I tried to use it over the weekend.

since so many towers went down at once

quite a few towers went down/had huge problems. Tallaght wasn't the only one.
    Well they ought to answer their phone!

Just imagine more than half your customers ringing in at the same time, asking the same question. Admittedly, they should answer the 01 number, but at the very least they could change the answering machine message saying "Look, we're sorry, but our bandhaul just exploded". I agree with ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheJaff

Mine was also down over the weekend. Im on the siac tower in Clondalkin. It was working fine last night, better than usuall infact. But it is gone down again today. Its been off all morning. I only have it installed a little over a month now and so far it has gone down about 6 times. 3 of them times were for a couple of hours only but the other 3 have been for more than 24 hours. Its quite simply unacceptable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement