Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous Proxies

• 31-01-2004 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used an anon proxy?
    i have a q:

does your isp see that u are connecting to a ip address for the duration of your connection? therefore they will assume that perhaps you are logging on to a proxy before browsing the web.
    i.e. perhaps this person has somthing to hide by covering there tracks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmm, a web proxy connects to the internet, you connect to the proxy(over port80). You will be identified by the IP address at the WAN side of the proxy.

ps. i have an ebook for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

here is list of proxies that you can use
    :pProxies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

...or you can always use http://babelfish.altavista.com as a proxy (just select a translation from chineese to english... so no translation actually takes place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by wild_eyed
    does your isp see that u are connecting to a ip address for the duration of your connection? therefore they will assume that perhaps you are logging on to a proxy before browsing the web.
    i.e. perhaps this person has somthing to hide by covering there tracks.

Yes the ISP can tell who you connect to etc if they want to. Normally they wont bother. The best way to do it is setup a proxy chain. It's slow but covers your tracks really well. The easier way is to get a multiproxy program. I used to use one because they tend to be pretty fast for browsing. It works by sending requests to randoms proxys on the free lists for parts of the different webpages your browsing.

So if anyone was to actually spend the time to sit on a single connection you made to a server and got all the data from it they'd still be pretty lost.

Google multiproxy I'm sure something will come up :P
    Hope that helps you hide what ever your hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

Originally posted by Ryaner

Hope that helps you hide what ever your hiding.

what are u saying?i have nothing to hide :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by muffen
    ...or you can always use http://babelfish.altavista.com as a proxy (just select a translation from chineese to english... so no translation actually takes place).

True, but all the images javascript includes etc are retrieved directly from the site. So that aint much use.

so there is absolutly no way to hide your IP address from your isp, i just want to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Your ISP are giving you the IP address in the first place. I'd say they'd hold onto a little log of which IPs are assigned where and when.

The isp does assign the ip so they'll know. If you use a multiproxy then well no one is going to get your ip that the isp gave you so your isp knowing the ip they gave you is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

so there is absolutly no way to hide your IP address from your isp

They gave you the IP, and if they couldn't track it, you would have some slight connectionissues (ie no internetconnection).

However, if you use a proxy, then yes, you can hide what you are really doing form the ISP. Even better would be if you could chain a bunch of proxies toghether, then it would get difficult for them to find you.

Finally, if you want to do something really bad and you really really don't want them to find you... then you should connect through a chain of compromised machine (computers infected with backdoors or something) before you do whatever it is you need to do. Once you're done, format the machines you used.. that should make it tricky enought to find you...

However, I do feel the need to tell you that if you are infact thinking about doing something illegal, then don't. Most probably, the penalty isn't worth the crime. Furthermore, if you need to ask us how to hide your actions, you don't seem to have the best startingposition...

Ofcourse, if it aint something illegal that you want to do, then I'm sorry. However, at the same time, if it aint illegal it aint worth hiding (I mean, if you want to browse pr0n or something, then just do it, it's not like the ISP cares),

• Advertisement

im just looking for info, and there aint a jury in the world that convict me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I just looked through 10 pages of anon proxies ... Iran, Libya and a few other countries that you wouldnt think of have them and Ireland doesnt .... lovely ... why dont we have a anon proxy in Ireland? expensive? legislation problems? what?

Using anon proxies in other countries is the best idea. I like the idea of formatting the systems after. Never thought about that. Mostly the systems on the multiproxy I once used where open port proxies and even if they did watch the logs and the isp went thru them, each stream (on 56k it was set to 5streams) had it's own proxy chain of three servers. Thats 15 computers they'd have to go thru to try and get the information. Ok saying that if they got thru three on one chain they would know the site but each stream changed every 30 seconds so your talking hundreds of machines over the space of an hour. No one is gonna bother to try tracking thru that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

why not use an internet cafe?:confused:

netcafes are a bit public arent they although the wireless hotspots would actually be quite ideal provided your os was a cracked one and had been quite locked down with nothing on it to identify you.

if im using a anon proxy, to download file A, will my isp see this file as it enters my machine, i.e. the link between the proxy and my machine?,

since everything going to & from my pc will have my ipaddress in its header.

this is a question, even if it reads like a statment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What you could do, is setup a proxy and sniff it to see whats going on. Might be useful for some sort of project :confused:

using a single proxy, the answer is more than likely yes. But how many isps actually look? Seriously how many files are downloaded? HTML pages are files so your talking alot.
    If the want to get files names etc then the only way to get it completely secure from your isp is to use a encripted vpn thru to another server. A multiproxy will make the file impossible to trace and take from you but in regard knowing the file name etc. With enough work (ie taking everybit of data you transfer thru them and putting it in a text file and searching thru that hopefully finding the name) they can do it.

Try this
    http://www.pcmesh.com/cawstrial.exe

Its a trial software but looks like what you needs unless you really need to hide things in which case your gonna have to break the law and yeah your on your own for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It all begs the question of what exactly youre looking at/downloading.

• Advertisement

if you are using unusually high amounts of bandwidth, your isp may investigate your internet activiate a little more closly. In most cases they can retrieve Ip Addresses, File names an dtransfer times of your activity,

source astalavista

this actually makes sense.

Ah ... an Americans view of what constitutes "unusually high" and what an Irish ISP thinks that is are two COMPLETELY different things ... I really dont think that Irish ISP's have the wherewithal to track down what all their users are doing .... just use a proxy and forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

I dunno but if your worried about the kind of traffice you would be generating from your browsing/downloading the proxy setup is the best. Your isp would have a fair bit of work to identify the traffic provided everything goes thru it.
    All programs can be pushed thru a proxy, even one without proxy support. Try sockscap for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ryaner
    All programs can be pushed thru a proxy, even one without proxy support. Try sockscap for that.
    HTTP proxies aren't socks proxies. I'm sure there are probably public socks proxies out there, but they'll be a lot harder to find than HTTP proxies.

HttPort
    Port forwarding, Socks Support

Socks2Http
    Lets you use a Http server as if it was a socks server. Great for Kazaa etc..

HttpTunnel
    Similar to Httport available on other platforms too.

Three great applications for routing ordinary TCP/IP and socks traffic through a Http Proxy. As long as the proxy supports SSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

If you do something illegal infect your own PC with a backdoor.

That way if u get caught they will think someone hacked you.

Originally posted by EricM
    If you do something illegal infect your own PC with a backdoor.

That way if u get caught they will think someone hacked you.
    If I recall correctly some hacker in the states got off because of this

Originally posted by Ripwave
    HTTP proxies aren't socks proxies. I'm sure there are probably public socks proxies out there, but they'll be a lot harder to find than HTTP proxies.

Socks2http lets you run thru them but most good multiproxys will have enough proxys to fo the job anyway so it tends to work fairly well. Socks proxy are available online and there tends to be a good few around but they go dead very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

www.anonymize.net

I used this, its very good.
    It works through VPN and you get an offshore dedicated IP address!
    It routes all packes to/from the IP they give you to your real ip.
    The beauty of this is it works with everything, you dont have to configure a proxy in software, even if the software does not have proxy support it will still work.
    You can even run a server with it.

Advertisement