Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks

• 31-01-2004 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

When do yours start?

And are you prepared?

Or have you been living by the mantra "Sure they're only the mocks..." for the last while? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Mine start February the tenth and stardle the mid-term break!I havent done a bit of study yet-im figuring that its only the mocks and that doing homework will get me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

February 3rd :dunno: I should be studying...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Mocks smocks :rolleyes:

Mine are starting in 3 weeks, straight after the mid-term that is I think. I've started studying now.

I'm kinda worried about English. My teacher is so ****. We're only "covered" three poets. We've done 5 or 6 poems in each but the problem is none of us have a clue about them. I'm going through them now myself at home poet by poet with notes from the institute. They're pretty good but I doubt I'll do well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mine start on the 9th which leaves me a week to cram as much as possible. Im ok in most subjects, but I dont have a history special topic done yet. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Mine are starting on the 1st of March I think, or maybe the 7th.

I'll be grand in English, French, Construction, Irish and maybe Tech Dr. i'd say.
    Biology and Maths will probably be a different story.

Doing a decent bit of study lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mine start on the 2nd of March.

Tech, maths, accounting and chemistry i'll be grand for.
    Spanish i'll be ok for
    English and Irish will be my downfall.

Btw is the 2nd of march quite late? i know my gf's school starts theres tomorrow. and a lot of others seem to start way earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Mine start this thursday. After the christmas break I was doing loads of study, but with stress and what not I've burnt out(yes, I know we're only back from christmas for a couple of weeks, but I really can't handle stress), and I'm doing barely any study. I have a feeling I won't be doing so well in the mocks.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I forgot to hand my application in, so i'm not doing them.

Already did most of them in the real thing last year anyway, so meh...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by pleb
    Mine start on the 9th which leaves me a week to cram as much as possible. Im ok in most subjects, but I dont have a history special topic done yet. :eek:

oh thank god i'm not the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

5th of March for me. Looooads of time :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the mocks in my school start on thursday the 5th, but seeing as i dont do french or geography i start on the 6th, classic's and maths 1

i'm so so scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Mine start in the morning :(((

I should be fine for everything (Maths Physics Chemistry Biology English) except german and crappy crap irish

I can give hints aswell if the schools decide to use the same mock papers :P

Oh god oh god oh god oh god

I would consider myself very good at maths. Paper One was pure garbage, Q1-3 okish some hard part c's. Q6,7,8 pure evil, I was lost. One question they wanted you to use the product rule inside the quotient rule uhh yeah.

I'll scan them in later for you to see.
    Integration part B was a bitch aswell, 3/4 of the question was algebra asking you to put

(x-7)/(x^2 -2x-3) into the form a/(x+1) + b/(x-3) or maybe its easy and I'm going stupid and then show that the integral of dx/(x^2 -2x +4) = root 3 times pie all divided by 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I got that paper today. And recognised the question from your post. And wished I'd tried to work it out last night so I might have had a chance at it today. *sigh* I think it's partial fractions, though, which you're not supposed to be asked... not on that question, anyway.

Yeah, that'll be my excuse when I fail that paper... ah well. *shrugs* Sure they're only the mocks...

I managed to work it out after an hour or two at home, but what the hell was it doing in an integration question? I'm still baffled by Q7 (c).

Paper two was fine, Further calc option was pretty down to earth, same could be said with the other questions too actually, some really long and painful working out on the trig sections though.

Answer to 8b

I think thats how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Mine start on the 26th of Feb. The mid-term is the week before (evil bastards).
    I started studying again on the 1st of feb. (hadn't done a thing since christmas til then).
    I'll be fine for all the subjects I like; Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths but irish, english and french are another story. And my whiny parents are really starting to piss me off.
    I've got orals which are before the actual mocks aswell.

Wow you are exactly the same as me then, I love Physics, chemo bio maths and applied m, "studying" them doesn't even feel like study to me, I just love them. However I simply despise the other crappy subjects, the english poets drive me insane, I dropped to pass Irish since I found it so boring, German grows on you if you give it time but it still kinda sucks.

Be sure to look at the maths paper I scanned, you'll need it if you happen to get that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I do applied maths as well but we're not doing a mock in it 'til about Easter.
    I also do pass irish and am heading that way in english and french mainly due to chronic laziness. My hatred of them convinced me that no amount of work would bring up my grades (which it would've) so I simply stopped caring and now Im screwed for them.
    The english is partly my teacher's fault as he is as lazy as me. He hardly ever gives homework because then he'd have to correct it and on the rare occasion he does give it he takes ages to correct it. He still has a Kavanagh essay of ours from before Christmas.
    French; I hate the teacher so that doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

For 8b I ended up with a venn diagram :eek:

• Advertisement

Rest of exams were ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Irish paper two was rather hellish and English Paper two nearly borked my hand for life but yeah other than that it's been fine, just two more to go and then a week of freedom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

i heard a question on banquo comes up on macbeth and derek mahon comes up on poetry. is that true? still only doin my special topic now. oh sh1t.

Don't want to ruin the surprise for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

meanie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Mine started on thursday with english (h) 2 and maths (o) 1. friday i had irish (o) 2.
    English went really well, it was exactly what id hoped would come up. For macbeth it was the theme of kingship and poets were Mahon, Dickinson, Kavanagh and Wordsworth.
    Maths and Irish being my worst subjects went awful.
    Got Art history on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Just to let ye know, there are two companies making mock papers this year (three companies last year).
    This means that there can be two types of Mock paper on all subjects, depends which company your school chooses.

Dont go getting your hopes up and only studying what people on boards told you came up on their paper :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres no point in doing the mocks if you find out whats coming up.
    It totally defeats the point and you're only hurting yourself in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Keeping what PHB said in mind...

Did any of these poets come up... Gerard Manly Hopkins, Frost, Heany or Kavanagh. Its just i've chosen those four to study for my mocks, and i don;t wanna get screwed over because of it. If none of those came up, i'll have to choose another.

I hate plath.

edit: Just say yes or no, i don't want to know the question that was asked.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    ... Derek Manly Hopkins, .

Always thought it was gerard manly hopkins myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement