Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, what i origionally wrote was Derek Mahon Hopkins, then i realised that was wrong, and changed it to Derek Manly Hopkins... which was also wrong.

Never write something when you're rushing out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Bio was okay, if it's like that in the real thing it shouldn't be too hard to pull off a good grade.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

agy. I cant believe there isn't anything past 2002 exam papers in math online. AS soon as i get my math papers back im scanning them all into pdf and putting them on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Start of March. Already done my French orals so far, got 75% which aint too shabby

Mine are just after the mid term which is a bit of a pain, I'd rather have them over with so I could enjoy the week off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I get 3 days off :( and not even the Thursday so I can't avail of Brannigans 2.50 a pint special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Chemistry was sound, really gorgeous paper although there were some weird questions as usual.

In the preparation of ethanoic acid experiment it asked "Why is the fractional distilling between 115-118 degrees C richest in the ethanoic acid?". I hadn't any idea what they were asking, so I simply waffled about why the boiling point of the acid was higher that the corresponding alkanes etc.

The shorties were alright, same with Q5, 6 was ok but there was some weird questions at the very end. Q7 was grand, didn't look at 8 and all the rest were (a) (b) or (c) style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MissyLoveParade

we had a bomb scare in our school just b4 da chemistry paper
    pure madnees da guards were in searchin us + everythin but we still had to do da paper! had vinegar titration but wasnt asked dat question, it was jus ok i thought far from gorgeous!:ninja:

A bomb scare? Wow, just wow, someone really didn't want to sit the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MissyLoveParade

it was a hoax though- prob one of the junior certs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i had that dream again, of being in the exam without studying,...... then i relised it wasnt a dream and i was sitting in my maths paper 1 exam.....

oh god!

Physics was alright although an entire question on U-Values came up! Wow I wasn't expecting that one. Rest was average enough, same joe soap sort of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christian

Ive got my mocks next week, kind ####### it actually. I havent done a tap all year and I know Im going to fail maths. Then as soon as their over I have the bloody orals!

You haven't done a tap all year? :dunno: niiice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Mine are now OVER! *dances wildly* I don't care that I've screwed them all up, they're OVER! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jackwalli

Hey
    Has anybody done an Applied Maths mock yet? Been going through the papers back to 1980 and they seem to be geting harder recently - any tips on how the mocks went?
    Thanks
    Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by Christian
    Ive got my mocks next week, kind ####### it actually. I havent done a tap all year and I know Im going to fail maths. Then as soon as their over I have the bloody orals!

Ditto for me :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The Applied maths paper are getting way way easier if anything.
    Last year was quite a hard paper, but the year before was jokingly easy.

It'll settle back down, but make sure you don't make the mistake I did and do only SHM in Q6, as they have started combining SHM and circular motion in the a and b parts.

Hey PB,
    Right now I'm a bit dodgy with the papers – I'm shaky on question one, barely able to do question two, sound on question three four and five, as long as five isn’t a “proof” type question. Then I'm hoping to have revised SHM and circular for the exam for question six, question eight can be pretty ok some years as long as you get a proof and then question 10, sometimes dead easy, sometimes a total boll0cks. 2003 was a bit harsh, but in general, if you go back to 1980, they’ve been getting slightly harder – leaning more towards the “show that…” as opposed to the more traditional “find x”. So any news on the mock papers?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Q10 is the easiest question, just practice all the old papers back and it should be 50/50!!

SHM and Circular moition is a lot to cover for one question, you're better doing Q8 and Q9, cause once you have Q8 perfect Q9 is piss easy.

Make sure you have options, I got an A2 cause I could only do 5 questions well and had one question that I got screwed on(SHM and circular motion)

• Advertisement

I dont know how you can say Question 9 is piss easy. I despise hydrostatics. Nearly as bad as statics. Question 10 - i can rarely remember the difference between integration and differentiation, so im pretty fecked with that one. Impressed with your 5 question A2 though. Weve done the course twice so far, just have SHM and circular to revise for the second time - that shouild be my 7th question, so im hoping it goes well. This year's been very strange for me - cant get down to study at all, cant listen in class, so im worse at applied right now than i was last summer. Which is not a good thing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

"Show that....." questions are much easier than "find X" questions, as you know exacctly whether you're right or wrong as sson as you finish that question.

My topics of choice are:
    S.H.M.
    Rigid Body Rotation
    Linear Motion
    Relative Velocity
    Impacts and Collisions
    Statics

We have yet to finsih SHM and we haven't done the integration question yet, but i'm thinking its not gonna be do bad. (if i wrote the wrong topic names, its cos i'm an idiot :p)

Maybe youre right about the "Show that" vs "Find" thing - i just always thought that the theory needed for the "show that"s was always more difficult than the "find" questions.
    If you ever need more past papers I've got them going back to 1984 so far i can scan some and send if anybody needs more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    Bio was okay, if it's like that in the real thing it shouldn't be too hard to pull off a good grade.

I thought biolgy was hard, also I hate the subject, so that doesn't help. Does anybody have the actual paper 'cos I need to go over it, I thought it was way different to the sample papers we were given.

So, any chance of people actually posting their mocks?

I think anybody who is trying to find out what's on the mocks is kidding themselves. Your grades may look higher now but come the real thing you could be in for a shock when theres no grinds teacher to tell you. Try not to think so short term about these things and take the mocks for what it is, a chance to see where your weaknesses lie.

I think anybody who is trying to find out what's on the mocks is kidding themselves. Your grades may look higher now but come the real thing you could be in for a shock when theres no grinds teacher to tell you. Try not to think so short term about these things and take the mocks for what it is, a chance to see where your weaknesses lie.
    Roller Toaster I was just wondering if you or anyone else still had the biology exam, I did mine last tuesday, so it would be no help to me now. Wish I had seen the paper beforehand though, then I wouldn't have messed up so bad.

Actually, the only reason i wanted the Applied Maths mock papers was because im doing it as an eight subject on my own - we dont do it in our school so they wont order a mock paper for me. If anybody has it, id be grateful for a copy.

daveyjoe- you had to do the questions on the paper so no one will have them.

jackwalli- you don't need mock papers if you have the past exam papers, theres like 20 papers there to do and anyway I found the mock papers far harder/different to the actually department papers.

Mutant Fruit- Why don't I see projectiles down on that list?? Such a beautiful question, I simply love projectiles, mmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    daveyjoe- you had to do the questions on the paper so no one will have them.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Anyway this is going a bit off-topic, perhaps I shouldn't have asked someone for a copy of the biology paper in the first place. I can understand why it might piss people off, there were no devious intentions though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement