Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jackwalli

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Well amazingly I got 89% in physics, 2A's and a C so far brings me up to a whopping 240 points, hopefully I will get an A in bio leaving me with 330. English, German and Irish won't be too good.

For physics, law of lever, refraction, sound and resistance with temp comes up on experiments. rest is the usual. Hope you get a different paper!
    What are law of lever, sound and refraction experiments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Um I think you may have some problems if you don't know what they are. I tried to be vague so I wouldn't give too much away but refraction of light one is to prove sini/sinr = n. Sound is f is proportional to 1/l. Law of lever is obvious and so is resistance with temperature.

Um I think you may have some problems if you don't know what they are. I tried to be vague so I wouldn't give too much away but refraction of light one is to prove sini/sinr = n. Sound is f is proportional to 1/l. Law of lever is obvious and so is resistance with temperature.
    Ok, "refraction" is snells law, and there are loads of sound ones. Law of lever i dont remember ever doing any experiments on - unless youre talking about laws of equilibrium on a set of coplanar forces? Do you use Real World Physics?

Oh sorry, we hardly ever use that book. Our teacher just does all the stuff from his head and I guess I just used the shortened names that he uses for everything. Yeah the law of the lever one is the laws of equilibrium blah blah. You essentially just use the law of lever rules for it.

Equilibrium one is alright, some simple calculations but a tricky question asking why must the balances be hanging vertically.

Snells law is fine, graph and question. Also explain why it would be less accurate if block was on edge.

Frequency and length is grand aswell nothing difficult, draw graph and diagram.

Resistance and temp same, draw graph and easy questions.

Shorties are fine.

Mechanics question is on archimedes with energy and power question thrown in. (Its just mgh/t to get the answer for 20 marks!)

Seven is on u-values and q=mc delta t. (U values just multiply area by u value times 60*60 for an hour)

Eight is ok. (Reducing energy lost = transmit at very high voltages thus reducing current and in P=I^2R bigger I is the more power lost) Remember you cannot use R = V/I for ESB supply cables. Apparently V/I is the p.d. between something and the earth. You have to use P =VI for this one.

Didn't do electricity question since it was such a bitch.

Modern physics I hadn't got covered but its very easy as usual.

Radioactivity is a beaut' (Just watch out when it asks "What is the name for the phenomenon above" It means the paragraph give not the question before it)

Question twelve is gorgeous part a is light and sound and b is ray diagrams. (Learn how to use a prism to turn light and definitions of total internal reflection. Polarisation is the restriction of light waves to one plane only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

You wouldnt have a scan of the Maths paper 2 PrecariousNuts?

• Advertisement

Thanks PrecariousNuts,
    That sounds like a gorgeous paper, hope i get that one. We havent finished the nuclear section or done either of the options, im kind of shaky on electricity, so as long as i can avoid those it should be grand. The experiments are lovely too, i was dreading a spectrometer question coming up, or any electricity ones, i hate them.
    Thanks again for the tips

No need for a paper 2 scan, its very straightforward (I use that term very loosely). I only put up Paper one since it was very tricky. I can honestly say that if you know your stuff trig etc you should get on fine. The further calc option is a beaut of a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Anyone done Economics yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Economics paper I did was very doable, nothing difficult on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Had my Tech Drawing exam yesterday and my French today - both Honours.

Tech. Drawing was a bit of a ****, probably managed a pass.

French was handy, though I only done two of three in section two. If anyone wants the paper, I wrote it all down. Reply here and I might be bothered to type it out.

Pass Irish tomorrow. Pass Maths the following day. Construction, Biology and English on Monday and Tuesday next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I just discovered today how much effort some people put into cheating on their mocks - 3 people i know made an elaborate break in to our gym, not to steal mock papers, but to steal answerbooks, to write sample answers into to hand up. How weird is that? Plus, log books covered in formulas, definitions, everything you could possibly need. Not to mention the illegal calculators/supercomputers everybody seems to have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by subway_ie
    I just discovered today how much effort some people put into cheating on their mocks - 3 people i know made an elaborate break in to our gym, not to steal mock papers, but to steal answerbooks, to write sample answers into to hand up. How weird is that? Plus, log books covered in formulas, definitions, everything you could possibly need. Not to mention the illegal calculators/supercomputers everybody seems to have...

for my geography i recorded my field study on to my mini-disc and played it at volume level 5 with my hood up, brilliant it was 100% answer. i tried it for english but the essay didnt come up.

I wrote an essay on my penis and during the exam I whipped it out but then I got an erection and my answer was all over the place cheating sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    I wrote an essay on my penis and during the exam I whipped it out but then I got an erection and my answer was all over the place cheating sucks.

probaly wasnt a big answer judging by wot ive been told about your penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just did Physics today: It was a fairly nice paper. A few things i didn't finish off completely because i didn't read the question properly, and a few i just couldn't finish. Overall not bad.

Tech Graphics 1: This paper was SOOO easy. It was unbelieveable. You have 45 mins to do each question, and i had the area conversion done in a mere 8 minutes, and it's right! I just shudder at the thought of paper two though, i'm rightly screwed for that.

i have english paper1 tomorrow, and applied maths. I'll let ya's know what i think.

Oh yeah forgot to tell you but the teacher found a mistake in my physics paper and I ended up with 91%... I was amazed. And thats without the easy modern physics.

Applied maths is a different story though, I'm rubbish at question one and I haven't a single exam paper done yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 realt me

:confused: sorry to keep the subject going......
    but i have to get a C in physic!!
    one of those life or death situtions you know how it is.........
    but my teacher took out the physic paper and actually gasped at how hard it was......
    can some please tell me the qustion....
    p.s. our schoolz papers are the one where the english paper 1 has apicture of friends..

He gasped at the U-value question probably, but apart from that and Q9 its a really easy paper hence my A1

ohmygod i am so happy right now.......
    do you dink we have the same paper???
    any chance of any other hints taking into consideration that we have got chapters 23,24,28,27,26,+12,13
    i would be SO SO grateful you have no idea......
    Well done on your A1........that was brill:D :D:D

of please please et e know this is my last hope i am nearly in tears trying to cram all this **** into my small brain:o :eek: as you can see nervous breakdown

• Advertisement

PrecariousNut - question 1 is the easiest question youre ever going to do on an applied paper - mock or otherwise - definetly go for it first, its a real confidence builder.

do you know wat comin up on physics:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Check this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145100

and previous posts in this thread.

uestion 1 is the easiest question youre ever going to do on an applied paper

If by applied paper, you mean applied maths, you are sadly mistaken.

Question one can sometime be the hardest question on the paper, often very hard to do.A question that never changes is rigid body rotation. Its been the same (no variation) for the last 20 years or so. That's a banker question.

quote:
    uestion 1 is the easiest question youre ever going to do on an applied paper

If by applied paper, you mean applied maths, you are sadly mistaken.

Question one can sometime be the hardest question on the paper, often very hard to do.A question that never changes is rigid body rotation. Its been the same (no variation) for the last 20 years or so. That's a banker question.

No - I wasn't talking about the *actual* applied papers - i was talking about the applied maths *Mock* paper - theres only one company that does it, and the question one is the easiest question on the paper, and probably on any paper Ive ever seen. Same goes for question 9. And yes, i agree that question 1 can be practially impossible on the actual LC papers.

just completed my applied maths exam, and i have one word for it... BOLAX!

Q1. It was grand, no problems there.

Q2. I got it all out, but didn't use the -b(+-) formula to get T in terms of the other parts. I'll probably lose 5 marks for that.

Q3. Perfect. couldn't have been nicer

Q4. I bolaxed this up, i got confused and thought that the I direction didn;t change in the collision, but its the I direction that DOES change. That probably lost me most of the marks, it also meant i couldn't prove it.

Q5. I got part A out, but was baffled by part B, i just couldnt get it.

Q6. I sum up my feelings with one word.... AAAgghhh. I got all the equations out, but i couldn't prove it, i just kept going around in circles.

Q8. Perfect, an easier question couldn't be imagined.

Overall, i'd say i got a B2. If i hadn't screwed up in Q4. i probably would have been scraping the A2 mark, but i doubt it now. Ah well, Bring on english paper 2.

Q5. I got part A out, but was baffled by part B, i just couldnt get it.
    If you had drawn a diagram you would have seen that B was just a very simple inclined plane with a particle slipping down it. Very simple stuff.

part A was the very simple inclined plane, and i got that out.

Part B had the elevator accelerating up and down.

Thats weird - i thought there was only one applied maths mock paper, yours is different to what i got - would you be able to scan yours and send me a copy?

• Advertisement

i'll try and do that soon, if i could get a copy of yours too that'd be great.

Btw, please ignore the scribblings on my one. I think each part i finish, and when i have time at the end i "check" through everything i've done. When i "checK' a question, i write check on the paper, and but big ticks on it. :-p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement