Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quakeworld and a lan

Options
  • 15-06-2000 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

yesterday i set up a lan with 2 machine's and a cross over cable.

i started a qwserver running on machine A. then ran a qwclient on B. this connected np. then i ran the client on A. it wouldn't connect at all.
    the only way i could get the two to work was using winquake and tcp connection.

1there must be a better way to do this?
    2whats up with the qwserver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

"connect localhost" wouldnt work at all?
    or it could have been an error if you were trying to run a proxy.. change the default ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Emm no, hes wrong actually wink.gif
    priority will make no difference to being able to connect, it affects the conenction quality. If he cannt connect at all, thats nothing to do with priority.
    As was said, check if you have a proxy running, also try running qwsv -p 28001
    to run it on port 28001 (or whatever)
    then connect localhost:28001
    that way if there is a port conflict and you cannt find it, you can just avoid it.
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

2 10/100 cards check

what is odd it that it would work when i just ran the client and server on the un-networked machine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Also, as well as quozl's idea, check that one's not set up for internet access (IP Protcol) and is trying to connect with the modem (that probably makes no sense - it doesn't to me).

Basically, set TCP/IP to your network card and remove or disable it for your modem.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

kharn
    doesn't that mean that the modem won't work for the net?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did you have Priority running on the machine that was running the server?
    Have a look for it on the quake.ie files section and run it after you fire off the server (or is it before - the readme will tell you).

That should set you right.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

i need that just about as much as a stm-64 connection to my house.
    i know 10gb/sec seems like a lot now , but in the future smile.gif

na got it working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Dav her is right (for once) smile.gif.

If you run the Quakeworld client and server progs on the one machine, you will need to run a program called "priority" so that you don't get 80% packet loss, and a gimpy ping.

It is also to be noted that if your Quakeworld clent command line opens a proxy (like alot of people's do), that a proxy will not run with the Quakeworld server programme running. Such is life. I have that same setup in my house, and it's fine. Whats really cool is if you have 2 10/100meg cards, it will connect at the 100meg rate. Sweeet.

Hope this helps.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

Advertisement